The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-31-2022, 12:28 PM

Default Yamaha FGX5 pickup issues (resolved?)

From the first few months of owning it, to the last few weeks of owning it, I've had a love-hate relationship with my FGX5. The Atmosfeel pickup is supposed to be fantastic and it usually is, except when it's not. On occasion l, I'd get a crackling sound through it, especially when playing heavy palm mutes or heavy strumming. I tried different cables, took the end jack out several times, checked out all the wires, played the guitar really easy, really aggressively and sometimes it acts up and sometimes it doesn't. Well today in church was as bad as it's ever been. It sounded like an AK47 popping off a 40 round magazine. The offensive sound is like that of unplugging and re-plugging in. The only thing I'd never done [yet] to try and remedy it was to spray de oxit spray in the (enclosed) endpin jack. I had previously vigorously run a cable in/out/around the end pin but never used contact cleaner spray.

I just tried the spray and (so far) I can't get it to act up. Gonna give it another go at open mic tonight. If it works, fine. If not, I'll be putting the FGX5 up for sale.
Old 07-31-2022, 01:35 PM

Just a quick guess but could it be the famous Yamaha battery box issue?

See my reply here:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=649539

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 07-31-2022, 01:43 PM

The FGX5 has the newer 2 AA battery box each battery having its owns springs, so it's not the battery box, although the system does burn through AA batteries very quickly.
Old 07-31-2022, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
The FGX5 has the newer 2 AA battery box each battery having its owns springs, so it's not the battery box, although the system does burn through AA batteries very quickly.
My bad, I answered on my way out. I'd still check that it wasn't those breaking contact in some way. I borrowed a lower end Yamaha active bass that ran on AA's and seemed like it needed 'tightening', it kept dropping the preamp and crackling when I was trying to record it, and you could recreate/resolve the issue by pressing on the battery sled.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 07-31-2022, 07:47 PM

Made it through a 40 minute set with no hiccups. Came back for a 10 minute encore. All good [for now].
Old 08-06-2022, 05:26 AM

Why not bring it to a guitar tech? A shame to sell a guitar you otherwise like because of technical issues. Most things are fixable. Never had any issues with my fgx5. Knock on wood, and so on.
Old 08-06-2022, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbeck View Post
Why not bring it to a guitar tech? A shame to sell a guitar you otherwise like because of technical issues. Most things are fixable. Never had any issues with my fgx5. Knock on wood, and so on.
Having a background in selling electronics, and being good with a soldering iron, making my own cables and doing my own setups, I like to think I'm my own tech. I don't trust many shops. I've heard many horror stories of guitars coming back from repair worse off than when they go in and most shops have a $40 bench fee. Mine is free.

I recently swapped out the preamp on my broke-neck CPX900 which I also fixed the neck on.

If the FGX5 gives me more trouble in the future, I would take it to a tech as a last resort.
Old 09-24-2022, 07:08 PM

It's back...the battery sled could be the issue. I bent the tab on the back end of the battery unit and it seemed to help. Heavy/aggressive playing exacerbates the issue. De oxit didn't help this time.

I have an email on its way to Yamaha to see what they have to say.

I'm half tempted to sell it and get an FGX3.
Old 10-14-2022, 02:45 PM

Yamaha wanted me to send it to a place I'd rather not. The other option is across the country.

I'm 90% sure the input is the issue. The tabs inside (enclosed unit) are very sloppy. I tried to bend them with a small pick. No dice. I bent the external tabs earlier today and it took almost an hour to act up. But it did. I bent the tabs inside the jack and it acted up instantly.

I tried a $60 6 ft Mogami cable with Neutrik connectors. I've tried a pro cable with Amphenol connectors.

It's gotta be the jack.

I've ordered one from Yamaha. Stay tuned for an update...
Old 10-16-2022, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yamaha wanted me to send it to a place I'd rather not. The other option is across the country.

I'm 90% sure the input is the issue. The tabs inside (enclosed unit) are very sloppy. I tried to bend them with a small pick. No dice. I bent the external tabs earlier today and it took almost an hour to act up. But it did. I bent the tabs inside the jack and it acted up instantly.

I tried a $60 6 ft Mogami cable with Neutrik connectors. I've tried a pro cable with Amphenol connectors.

It's gotta be the jack.

I've ordered one from Yamaha. Stay tuned for an update...
Thanks, YamahaGuy, I hope the jack is the problem and a new one will solve it. I'm following this as I've got the same guitar. At least if a similar problem arises with mine I'll have your solution as a fix.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-19-2022, 02:57 PM

Default Fixed!!!

It WAS the battery sled/input jack assembly. Large flat strip connector and a couple of screws. Plug and play. New jack assembly in and is now the FGX5 I grew to know and love. Lots of hard playing and zero dropouts! So glad it's fixed.
Old 10-19-2022, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It WAS the battery sled/input jack assembly. Large flat strip connector and a couple of screws. Plug and play. New jack assembly in and is now the FGX5 I grew to know and love. Lots of hard playing and zero dropouts! So glad it's fixed.
That's Good To Hear--Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-19-2022, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
That's Good To Hear--Enjoy!
Thank you. I surely will.
Old 10-31-2022, 05:14 PM

Made it through Tuesday recording, rehearsal, Wednesday night rehearsal, Sunday service and a 3 hour gig. No issues. I'd says she's back!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification