The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-17-2022, 12:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Hatcher's Studio 2022 #2

I am picking up from the Hatcher's Studio 2022 thread on what happened to the Maple pieces I brought out of my wood on this little expedition:

The smaller piece on the left is a sampling from branch that from the fungus I predicted would be spalted:

It yielded a bunch of little plates like this one:

They are OK but I think I'll let the rest of that branch sit for another year and then try again

The bigger piece came from further up the same branch:

I split this one in half and sliced one half up:

I should say, especially with Maple, I find it is much easier to slice the wood when it is still wet for a number of reasons: One, is it is harder to burn wet wood. Two, The grain in wet wood doesn't pull the saw blade as much when it is dry. Three, It takes a lot less time to dry stickered slices.

Here is a book matched pair:

So I'm pretty happy with the results so far and am looking forward to taking on that big Wild Black Cherry standing dead wood trunk!

m

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 07-17-2022 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-17-2022, 01:19 PM

Looks like the "All trees must fall" guy would be happy with your new location, looks like a lot of work to be done.

Bruce,
Old 07-17-2022, 01:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEJ View Post
Looks like the "All trees must fall" guy would be happy with your new location, looks like a lot of work to be done.

Bruce,
That’s funny you remember that Swifty Corwin quote I had on my signature for awhile. I do want to make one little correction that his quote is actually a little more passive: All trees fall.

Thanks!
Mark

Steven Wright
Old 07-25-2022, 05:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Blue Stain

I addition to these foraged woods I cut the largest piece of Blue Stain Pine I could find. I sliced it up and stickered it:

Once dried I stabilized it and bookmatched a couple thinner slices as a candidate rosette:

It will be going onto the torified Maple Dryad I have in the works. I will be adding very thin cross grained spalted Sugar Maple rings and purfling line to finish it up.
Here is a mock-up:

I'm pretty sure this Blue Stain Pine will be showing up in a number of future guitars!

M

Steven Wright
Old 07-25-2022, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Very cool, Mark--that's some of the most dramatic blue stain pine I've ever seen!

Around these parts we get more of a gray-blue coloring on our blue stain.

Yours is way cooler--looks awesome in the rosette.
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 07-25-2022, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

Timing is everything when you get into the line-up for a custom Hatcher guitar. I love my turquoise and torrefied maple (and very beautiful cedar), but now there’s this blue pine that’s stunning! Can’t wait to see the coming creations!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 07-26-2022, 07:41 AM

Mark, that blue stain pine is CRAZY! I love it! What a cool and natural rosette! Can't wait to see that one complete!
Old 07-26-2022, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Pretty nice when you're a fine woodworker and check out your new backyard and there's a big chunk of this laying around, eh!

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 07-26-2022, 08:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Very cool, Mark--that's some of the most dramatic blue stain pine I've ever seen!

Around these parts we get more of a gray-blue coloring on our blue stain.

Yours is way cooler--looks awesome in the rosette.

Thanks Nemoman, We only have five common species of Pine up here and the best color seems to come from the Eastern White Pine. You guys in California have something like 27 species of Pine and up in Northern California you certainly have the right temperatures and humidity for Blue Stain so maybe it's just a matter of finding the right species?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck7 View Post
Timing is everything when you get into the line-up for a custom Hatcher guitar. I love my turquoise and torrefied maple (and very beautiful cedar), but now there’s this blue pine that’s stunning! Can’t wait to see the coming creations!
Thanks canuck7! Yeah, I'm always chasing the next shiny thing and making it into a guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Mark, that blue stain pine is CRAZY! I love it! What a cool and natural rosette! Can't wait to see that one complete!
Thanks Treenewt. Thanks! It is important to me to stick with natural colors. When you really start looking there really aren't any colors you can't find in nature.
When you find a fallen Pine log that even has blue fungus growing out of it's side you know it is likely going to be a real treat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
Pretty nice when you're a fine woodworker and check out your new backyard and there's a big chunk of this laying around, eh!

Foraging woods here in the Green Mountains is a real treat!

Thanks,
m

Steven Wright
Old 07-26-2022, 10:19 AM

So cool, Mark. My monitor doesn't do the colors justice compared to seeing it in your studio. I wonder what that would look like partnered up with some redwood and desert ironwood...
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 07-26-2022, 01:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post
So cool, Mark. My monitor doesn't do the colors justice compared to seeing it in your studio. I wonder what that would look like partnered up with some redwood and desert ironwood...
I think it would go wonderfully. Instead of the spalted Maple cross grain rings, Goncalo Alves would tie everything in very well.

m

Steven Wright
Old 07-26-2022, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Blue stained pine is a new one on me very cool . We have a bunch (too much really ) Beatle kill pine that has slight blueish gray striations but nothing that dark or deep blue.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-27-2022, 02:14 AM
Charter Member

..as those spalted woods are colored because of funghi - and those funghi eat wood - are the spalted parts treated by drying only or i.e. by also soaking them in resin when built into a guitar, in order to prevent the funghi from eating the other wood ? .. or do they live on a say Maple or Pine only diet and are endemic to those woods ?
Maybe a stupid question, but funghi spores are quite resilient and survive quite hostile (i.e. dry, hot..) conditions very well if I remember correctly... just wondering.
Old 07-27-2022, 04:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Blue stained pine is a new one on me very cool . We have a bunch (too much really ) Beatle kill pine that has slight blueish gray striations but nothing that dark or deep blue.
Thanks for commenting KevWind. There are a lot of blue stain fungus species and they do not all have common ancestors. What I see here in the Green Mountains consistently is this dark blue-green color and only seems to grow on the abundant Eastern White Pines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post
..as those spalted woods are colored because of funghi - and those funghi eat wood - are the spalted parts treated by drying only or i.e. by also soaking them in resin when built into a guitar, in order to prevent the funghi from eating the other wood ? .. or do they live on a say Maple or Pine only diet and are endemic to those woods ?
Maybe a stupid question, but funghi spores are quite resilient and survive quite hostile (i.e. dry, hot..) conditions very well if I remember correctly... just wondering.
I should start with saying Blue Stain is a fungus (think mushroom) not a mold (think that unidentifiable hairy thing in the back of your refrigerator). While mold is listed as a sub-family of fungus it is very different from the other fungi species.
Molds tend to break wood down much faster than the other fungi.

Blue Stain spores are transmitted on the bodies of the bark beetles that KevWind was mentioning above. The ideal conditions for Blue Stain are temperatures between 50f and 65f degrees and the moisture content should be a little higher than the normal living wood average. These are the conditions my woods have at 1,100 feet up and densely shaded with regular rain, mist and fog.

Drying out the wood quickly dispatches the fungus and stabilizing the wood (I use CA) not only strengthens the wood but also takes care of any wayward spores. So there really is no possibility that the fungi will spread on a finished guitar even if it were made of Eastern White Pine.

Steven Wright
Old 07-27-2022, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Mark !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop