The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-24-2011, 08:53 PM

Default Guitar with oval soundhole and filigree

This got lost in the general thread, so I thought I might focus it here. Please pardon me for reposting some of this.

After I'd been committed to classical lessons for a few years, my parents bought this in the late 80's from Zoo Music in Dallas. It was used, cost $800, and that's all I know about it, but I'd to know more.

The sticker reads:

Alvarez
Hand Made
Classical Guitars
Model No. 5008
Serial Number 40167
Made in Japan

Everything I've found online about the 5008 model doesn't match what I have. The closest is here, and while it might be a similar model, it's not an exact match.

It has plenty of scratches and scuffs, all my own, but that's what happens when you give something to a 12 year old.

It has a strangely mellow but loud sound, and it projects much farther than it seems like it should. Tony McManus asked to play it at Swannanoa a few years ago, and he was surprised by the volume. He said it was "awesome" which made me feel, of course, awesome.

But does anyone know anything else about it? I've checked other forums with no luck. I'd love to know anything at all, identify the woods with more certainty than my amateur guesses. Plus, if anyone has any insight into how the sound hole and the filigree functions, I'd love that as well. I obviously know what it sounds like, but I'd like to know more about why.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:15 PM

Oh man I love it, she's a beaut, never ever sell her.

Anyway you could try contacting Alvarez directly, they may be able to help

http://www.alvarezgtr.com/contact.php

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical