The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-30-2022, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Seems like using a different guitar brand soft case is a thing these days! I've often heard people say that the the Taylor gig bags are great in construction and are sought after for other guitars that either came with gig bags of less quality or to replace unnecessary hard cases.

Such is the 'case' (pun intended) with RainSong guitars. RainSong insists on shipping their guitars with hard shell cases. SERIOUSLY hard shell cases. I mean, cases on par with higher-end Martin and other guitars. And while this is great, I suppose, it's just overkill for a carbon fiber guitar in my opinion.

So, like the OP, I was on the hunt for quality gig bags for my RainSong Shorty I didn't have to look far. I had an Emerald X10 gig bag that I'd special ordered for an X10 I had and then sold off with its original hard case and kept the bag and low and behold it fit the RainSong Shorty perfectly!

Old 08-30-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Such is the 'case' (pun intended) with RainSong guitars. RainSong insists on shipping their guitars with hard shell cases. SERIOUSLY hard shell cases. I mean, cases on par with higher-end Martin and other guitars. And while this is great, I suppose, it's just overkill for a carbon fiber guitar in my opinion.
I agree. I guess I got lucky when I bought my Shorty because RainSong sent mine in one of those thermoplastic cases. It even had the RainSong embossing on it. A little long since you could fit a full size OM in it but not a deal breaker. Very nice case and lighter weight than the overkill plywood cases that most RainSongs are shipped in.
Old 08-30-2022, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Seems like using a different guitar brand soft case is a thing these days! I've often heard people say that the the Taylor gig bags are great in construction and are sought after for other guitars that either came with gig bags of less quality or to replace unnecessary hard cases.

So, like the OP, I was on the hunt for quality gig bags for my RainSong Shorty I didn't have to look far. I had an Emerald X10 gig bag that I'd special ordered for an X10 I had and then sold off with its original hard case and kept the bag and low and behold it fit the RainSong Shorty perfectly!

Yes I have to admit I cringe a little bit every time I see Taylor on the case housing one of my non Taylor guitars.

Interesting on the Emerald gig bag. That is basically exactly what I had in mind for my other carbons although i hadn't put the dots together until you mentioned it.

My Journey RT 660 gig bag is also pretty similar. I have an Emerald gig bag for my nylon x7 unfortunately it is too small for the Enya.

The Taylor gig bag definitely seems another step sturdier in both weight and protection vs the Emerald. I put it somewhere between the access stage one and stage 3 but closer to the 3.

Sent from my motorola edge (2021) using Acoustic Guitar Forum mobile app
Old 08-30-2022, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Blasphemy! But, I understand. When I had a Shorty, the guitar weighed about 4 pounds... the case weighed about 140. I'm joking... 157. The Emerald gig bags are nice.
Old 08-31-2022, 04:34 AM

i had no way to transport my x20 in a case as the trunk in my vette (that i sold last week) was too small. so i made my on case. i have pictures of it on face book. it is a patchwork quilt my mother made. i cut it and lined it with a wool blanket. three sides are sewn so the guittar slides in like a tube top.3 years now and it's worked great. when not in use, it fold us like a sweatshirt.
Old 08-31-2022, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Blasphemy! But, I understand. When I had a Shorty, the guitar weighed about 4 pounds... the case weighed about 140. I'm joking... 157. The Emerald gig bags are nice.
You already gave me a hard time about this on the original post, Jim!

In your defense, you did state that there would be trouble when someone who had heard about Emerald guitars saw the bag and would be excited to see one would then be disappointed. This actually happened at an open mic recently when the host was hoping to see one in person and had to live with just my (admittedly cool but not Emerald-cool) RainSong Nashville shorty.
Old 08-31-2022, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...This actually happened at an open mic recently when the host was hoping to see one in person and had to live with just my (admittedly cool but not Emerald-cool) RainSong Nashville shorty.
Perhaps you could have someone embroider "Not" on the bag just above the Emerald.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
I have two recent carbon additions to my family and I am looking into gig bags.

The primary use is to carry the instruments to my boat and on the boat or to friends to jam.

The guitars are an enya x4 and a Klos full size. 16" or so lower bout but more OOO than dreadnaught size.

To that end I'm looking for a case that provides light protection and is lightweight and is flexible so that when on the boat and not holding a guitar it can fold in half to take up less space.

I recently ordered a mono vertigo and I'm finding it too bulky and not flexible enough for my needs as well as a bit too big around the guitars.

My Klos (second hand) came with a very light weight Access bag which works but is a bit too lightweight and doesn't have a neck holder of any kind.

What are other people using?
A blanket (of thickness suited to your desired level of protection) folded over the guitar and stitched in place with a zipper or snaps sewn in appropriately would be the least expensive. Depending on your sewing skills could be quite nice and sure to provoke comment.

If you want some extra protection, a thin sheet of plastic or two (or a camping closed-cell foam sleeping pad) cut to fit to protect the body would provide that.

The tailoring does not have to be all that close-fit to be nice-looking. But if you wanted a really nice job, I bet a there are tailors/seamstresses that would do the job fairly inexpensively.

edited to add: Oops. Kitesurfer beat me to it.

Last edited by Lost Sheep; 08-31-2022 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-31-2022, 04:22 PM

Sometimes the internet is really….weird.
Old 08-31-2022, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
A blanket (of thickness suited to your desired level of protection) folded over the guitar and stitched in place with a zipper or snaps sewn in appropriately would be the least expensive. Depending on your sewing skills could be quite nice and sure to provoke comment.

If you want some extra protection, a thin sheet of plastic or two (or a camping closed-cell foam sleeping pad) cut to fit to protect the body would provide that.

The tailoring does not have to be all that close-fit to be nice-looking. But if you wanted a really nice job, I bet a there are tailors/seamstresses that would do the job fairly inexpensively.

edited to add: Oops. Kitesurfer beat me to it.
While I certainly could sew one myself, my main goal was to see what was available first.

Sent from my motorola edge (2021) using Acoustic Guitar Forum mobile app
Old 09-01-2022, 12:00 AM

Anyone have experience with the Reunion Blues RBX Series? Its comparable in price to the Access Stage 3. Wondering what everyone would choose between the two?
Old 09-01-2022, 02:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Just another suggestion; try looking on etsy.

In the past I commissioned someone on etsy to make a gig bag for a ukulele as a gift.

Could be worth having a look; and you'd get something pretty unique from an independent craftsperson or small business

Even if they dont have it listed, its worth reaching out to sellers to have an item tailored. I myself have an etsy store, and a large proportion of my sales are for custom requests and orders.
Old 09-02-2022, 09:57 PM

Quote:

The neck on mine folds because the velcroed neck rest is moveable.

The bold “Taylor” logo bothered me so I picked it off with a thread ripper. Good grief that was a lot of thread. The embroidery holes left a shadow pattern. Was planning to cover the shadow with souvenir cloth patches. I’ve been lazy about it, gotta find some patches.

Am planning to add a little pouch, inside the pocket or under the neck, to corral small stuff like pencils, capos, tuners, strings.

Another point to mention is that sliding the case into and out of cars is good because the sleek design has nothing to hang up and get stuck.

Back when I was seriously considering an X7 my plan was to immediately remove or cover up that gaudy ‘Emerald’ logo.

Cheers.
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany

Last edited by casualmusic; 09-02-2022 at 10:04 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber