The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-16-2022, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Not a mandocello per se, but I do play tenor guitar, which is traditionally tuned CGDA the same as a mandocello. If it is something that interests you, but you don't want to sink a lot of bank into it, I can recommend the Kala tenor guitar from there site https://kalabrand.com/products/ka-gtr Kala is a well known ukulele brand, and they came out with this a few years back. It's a bit shorter than a traditional tenor guitar that is 23 inches vsl but should not be an issue.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:13 AM
Musical minimalist

Just noticed this thread after watching this video - brought back LOTS of memories from seeing Mike, Darol and others back in the 80's. Ran into them in the Denver airport one day and had a nice chat while waiting for our rental cars.

This is just fun....

Old 01-25-2022, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Just noticed this thread after watching this video - brought back LOTS of memories from seeing Mike, Darol and others back in the 80's. Ran into them in the Denver airport one day and had a nice chat while waiting for our rental cars.

This is just fun....

Funny, I was scrolling through this thread as I am considering a mandocello fairly seriously right now and cover(?) photo on the video shows Oliver Waitze (on guitar), who owns the local music store near me. I have been fortunate to see Mike Marshall a couple times in small venues as he lives not too far away (by US standards).

Various stringed instruments
Old 01-25-2022, 08:48 AM

I have the GoldTone mandocello. I enjoy playing what I can with it.

Here is Sierra Hull, playing the same model —

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR_VjBJOP4A

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments