The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-28-2016, 05:03 PM

Default Nice

Hey this looks amazing hope it sounds good too. Does any other Michaud owners out there know if the new Sound hole mounted KK ultra pure mini preamps fit inside this guitar? With bracing etc? Thanks
Old 09-28-2016, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

excellent. Can't wait to see this thread progress, and you, eventually, playing a wonderful new guitar.

best,

Stuart
Old 10-01-2016, 01:22 PM
Humanist

Default A custom Michaud 00-R for LP...

Thanks again for the kind words, folks...

Meanwhile, stolen from another thread, here is a photo of Joel's 3 SBAIC guitars, with my 00-R front and center, flanked by an OM-R (right) and the new 0-R (left...hmmm, cutaway?)!

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 10-01-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:14 PM

Looking forward to what's in store for us soon!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 10-03-2016, 08:27 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Looking forward to what's in store for us soon!
Thanks, Marcus.

The guitar was dropped-off (picked up) about 5:45PM, and then I made it home for dinner.

I've had a few good minutes with the guitar, and then I took a break to fire off a quick email to Joel.

I'll share that here:

Quote:
Joel,

I don't really like to wax poetic with a new guitar, because at least 50% of the feelings/words can be due to the adrenaline-rush of the new instrument, and often unrelated to reality.

That said, I think you nailed it for me.

It's pretty damed close to perfection, or at least as perfect as perfect can be on the whole ergonomic side of things. *So* much more comfortable than the OM-ish guitars that I have tried to manage over the past 5+ years that it's a little sad that I struggled for so long...

...but then, of course, this means that the timing was just-right for us to get together, and for you to execute this project so-very-well.

Thank you.

Tonally, it's a bit tight all-around, a little more so on the bass side. We both know how a new-guitar sounds, of course, and this one simply needs to be banged on...and this will be a good thing to do. I'm just the guy to do an all-fingerboard workout with this little critter.

It already has great articulation between notes across the fretboard, and I can tell that the voice will develop just perfectly for me, as well. Whatever bass it delivers over time (being a smaller guitar), will be just the right balance for how I will approach playing it. It is already a joy to play, and I know that it will only get better as I learn more about how it responds, what kind of "touch" it likes.

The fit & finish is what one expects with the bar raised so high in today's steel-string world...it's flawless...and so there is no question as to what you are capable of in all aspects of delivering a guitar like this. Top-shelf work, as expected.
So that's my initial "trying to be reserved" take on things.

If I can work some daily minutes of playing back into my life (with no, or at least less pain), then I'll probably be able to present a couple of YouTube recordings at some point...no promises on the timeline as of tonight, but I *am* hopeful...

Thanks to all for following and participating on this thread, and also for the positive reports from SBAIC in the other threads.

Major thanks to Joel for taking on a new & unusual project with a ton of challenging custom details. This was no cookie-cutter guitar, nor was it one put together with bits of this and that which had all been done before...Joel had to break new personal-ground for this build, and this instrument truly exemplifies what the word "custom" means for our little beautiful corner of the music world...

Old 10-04-2016, 07:34 PM

Congratulations on that beautiful OO, Larry !!! I knew Joel would be able to create an instrument that you would really enjoy tonally and aesthetically. I hope the ergonomics are such that you''ll be able to get back to playing without pain or discomfort.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:05 PM

Larry, you have got a beautiful guitar there. I was right across from Joel during the show and got to spend some time with that guitar (and Joel's other work) in the evenings and it is a wonderful guitar, made by a truly awesome guy. I hope it is all you had hoped it would be! There is no doubt it is certainly something special.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:45 PM

Congratulations Larry!! Glad to hear that you'll be able to get back to playing more now! Can't wait for the videos to come I know we have already seen the photoshoot but more photos from your end wouldn't hurt

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 10-05-2016, 06:24 AM

Congrats, Larry. A bit of a change since IU and that Bozo!!! Best, Tim
Old 10-05-2016, 07:50 AM
Humanist

Thanks again to all...especially Simon Fay whose friendship & guitars have been invaluable in my life, and my (ahem) "old" buddy Tim Porter...a dear college friend since 1974-5, and indeed who knew me when I had my *first* handcrafted guitar, a 1974 Bozo Podunavac...yes, that ol' Bell Western would be *way* too much these days...but *what* a sound!

Simon also made me aware of Joel's builds, the qualities, etc...and he wholeheartedly recommended Joel to me when his own fabulous OM sized guitars proved simply too large for my comfort.

Here's my latest take from yesterday, Day-2 of the 00-R Michaud:

FYI, I have had many days (of each and every week) over the past 5+ months with literally zero guitar time...

...and now the price to be paid is almost no left hand finger calluses...but I did about an hour of scales and arpeggios yesterday morning, just to try to get started on a real break in process for the new guitar.

Then, last evening I actually played for about 90 minutes, all repertoire pieces. For now I haven't noticed any additional problems in my left elbow. Good deal.

The guitar is tremendously responsive to my right hand touch, even as new. The articulation is also very very good, and bringing out a single note (or run of notes for a musical phrase) is quite a joyful experience...just a superb response and very strong sound. The clarity and fullness of each note is impressive.

The first night night the guitar was perhaps still "cold" from the climate change and travel time from Southern California to central/west Oregon...I think this was largely responsible for my "tight" comments...the guitar was actually more open yesterday...a good change (the climate here in Oregon), and I think the guitar is happy to be here.

All in all I can report that yesterday's playing time was a very pleasurable learning/bonding experience. Despite some ****ed sore finger-tips I am looking forward to this morning's playing time with great anticipation.

Also, thanks to Marcus Wong for a PM here that I now need to go fully re-read...I only glanced at it last night.

Coffee good.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:50 AM

I played Larry's guitar. The 24" scale made it seem like a capo at the second fret on my other guitars. I love almost everything about the guitar except that it's not mine.

Tuned to CGDGAD it was incredible!

Last edited by M Sarad; 10-05-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:53 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
I played Larry's guitar. The 24" scale made it seem like a capo at the second fret on my other guitars. I love almost everything about the guitar except that it's not mine.
Heh, heh...I think the scale-difference thing would be more like a capo on the first-fret of a 25.5" scale guitar...but who's counting...?

Thanks for this "report", and for your comments on Facebook as well, Matt.

I would have liked to see you (and others) in SB...sigh.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post

Tuned to CGDGAD it was incredible!
..... Love that tuning, it's a gold mine! For a 24" scale guitar to handle CGDGAD well, is saying wonders for the guitar! Larry, I think you have a keeper!
Steve
Old 10-05-2016, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

I was blown away by that guitar... Pardon me if I left my drool...! OMG, congrats
Old 10-19-2016, 11:53 AM

Default Joel's OO

Larry you will love his work! I played one of Joel's OO's at the last Memphis Acoustic Guitar Festival and was completely blown away!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop