The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-04-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
Thanks for the review sir! Hoping to see if there's a recording of it soon! I'm considering whether or not to get the new battery powered Maui 5 vs JBL's Eon One Pro depending on which sounds nicer!
Looks like the new battery powered Maui 5 GO is due out in the fall according to UK sellers. Price looks to be around £650 /$840 USD. The Eon Pro is $1499 US. So there's a huge difference in cost.

The M5 GO appears to have the addition (over the current M5) of a line output on the rear of sub. Which would allow expansion. I would have liked to have that on my M5.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I think Maui 5 will be awesome for you. The Reach and FreePlay have preamp issues to solve. I solved them for my FreePlay, so this was an easy way to add 2 extra mics without being a mixer. Enjoy that Maui!!

The 10 inch sub offer in my JBL was too much for small rooms because it had no individual sub control. The sub in the Maui is only an 8 inch and has some control if I recall.
Very good point Dave... about the sub control. This indeed is included on the Maui 5. I remember reading this post and wanted to comment.

I will preface this to say, I was a in a full band up until 2 or so years ago. We had a sound guy on the payroll (he actually made more than we did .. LOL). So I never had to "dink" around with my sound.

But now that I'm 'going' solo .. It has been a learning experience.

OK.. Getting back to the Maui 5.

I cannot say enough good things about this system. Is it for everyone? Not a chance. BUT anyone looking for a small-med sized acoustic performance system.... DO yourself a favor and check one out.

To be honest, I love the sound of my acoustic and voice amplified. Even at home rehearsing daily. But it has been a challenge to find a "happy" medium of great and balanced sound ... Plus not being to loud, shrill or too much to kill my ears.

This little M5 is what I've been looking for and you know the most important knob on this thing?? Yep... The Sub-Woofer control. This is what makes the system not over powering in a small room.. I have it set up in a 25 x 20 ft room ...I am about 8 feet away. I have it situated just right.... The sound feels like it "surrounds" me.

I have yet to use it live... But from what I can see it should be fine for the basic bar/restaurant situations.

I got the M5 for a little over $500 bucks by using a 15% coupon.. So not a ton of scratch for a really nice sounding guitar amp/ PA. Very usable for my home studio .. which is where I play most of the time!

I'm on the look out for a used TC Helicon Play Acoustic... Since the M5 has no effects. I def would like to have some effects and more control on my (vox and guitar) inputs.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:59 PM

I play out often using the LD Systems Dave8Roadie and love it. The only downside is the weight of the sub. But for larger venues I need it. My groupies who go to most of my local gigs tell me that this is far better sound than my Bose or two Shertler Unico (high end) amps on poles. I love having two separate speakers that handle mids and highs which can be dispersed or close to me. OR use one as a monitor near me and set the other one on a pole several feet away. I have tried various options and love the two separate speakers. For very small venues they can sit right on top of the sub and that works great too.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 07-05-2017, 03:36 PM

Thanks Hotroad for sharing your experience with LD systems Dave8Roadie PA... I haven't heard of that system before...

I bet it sounds great... But it's not practical for my needs. The Sub-Woofer alone weighs in at 46 lbs!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification