The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-20-2020, 08:07 AM

Default Getting a better acoustic sound out of the T5z?

I'm new to electric guitars. My bandmate and I tried to record a bit with the T5z last night and his Fender Acoustasonic blew it out of the water for acoustic tones. Is there any preamp I could run it through or any advice on punching up those tones a bit on the first position setting? Thanks!
Old 10-20-2020, 02:05 PM

I think it depends on what you think an amplified acoustic should sound like. If you want a certain sound, get a certain system. Certain types of systems all have a certain sound, and trying to make on system have THAT tone maybe be a wild goose chase. In this case, you're pitting the body sensor of the T5 against the undersaddle of the acoustasonic.

For example, I've listened to alot of live recordings made on a Takamine P6N with their renowned system. It takes me awhile to remember why I liked my guitar when I play it afterwards, trying to mimic that recording.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Ham View Post
I think it depends on what you think an amplified acoustic should sound like. If you want a certain sound, get a certain system. Certain types of systems all have a certain sound, and trying to make on system have THAT tone maybe be a wild goose chase. In this case, you're pitting the body sensor of the T5 against the undersaddle of the acoustasonic.

For example, I've listened to alot of live recordings made on a Takamine P6N with their renowned system. It takes me awhile to remember why I liked my guitar when I play it afterwards, trying to mimic that recording.
At this point I'm considering installing an under saddle pickup, routing it through the second strap button. Seems like that's fairly common, although I can't find a consensus on what pickup to go with. Any thoughts there? Thanks.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:11 PM

Pod Go with IR's? This is what I use with my acoustic plugged in.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:27 PM

I would think, by looking at it, that the Fender is built a bit more like an acoustic guitar. The more air space inside and the thinner, less electric guitar like, the top is the more it will sound acoustic.

I haven't looked at the specs lately, but I thinking the Taylor is thinner and probably more of an electric that leans toward the acoustic when you want to. If I am not mistaken, there were different versions with different pickup choices. Wasn't one with a pickup under the end of the fretboard ? Which version do you have ?

The next thought would be to use a nice EQ pedal to shape the sound and then run it to an acoustic amp, not an amp designed for electrics.

I don't know what amp you were trying it with, so it's hard to judge what to adjust.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 10-20-2020, 09:46 PM

I have had some success with running my T5 through one of the magnetic pickup images on the Fishman Aura pedal...
Old 10-20-2020, 10:12 PM

I'm playing my T5 through a Bose L1 B2 with the 8 channel Tonematch and its the best its ever sounded. The Tonematch has a preset for the T5 and many options from there. I also like turning the tone buttons and pickup selector switch. So before you start drilling and wiring please keep making adjustments on that beautiful guitar.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 04:06 AM

The ES2 and Fender systems are vastly different and would require different presets to be optimized. I'd probably advise using a regular acoustic and a mic in a studio setting if/when possible. I haven't heard of a pickup and preamp that renders a good acoustic and a mic useless.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

I never considered the T5s An acoustic. Thats not a criticism, I do like them, and their own sound. I would not try to make them confirm to an acoustic sound, though. They make other guitars for that. If you must, I might start with a good reverb pedal, or something like the fishman tone-deq. They seem to have good success at acoustic electronics. (Now THATS an oxymoron!)
Old 10-21-2020, 05:35 AM

Another consideration in your comparison of your Taylor to the Fender is that the Fender is running through a built-in preamp with modeling...

https://guitar.com/review/acoustic-g...-stratocaster/
Old 10-21-2020, 05:50 AM

Seems to me there are two ways to go.
  1. Install a UST as a separate pickup system and use an IR based pedal to see if you can boost it to better acoustic tones. That is the core architecture of an Acoustasonic.

A canned IR pedal like a Zoom might do the trick with little time spent experimenting. For IR loaders, I've got an IR I created with an all plywood guitar that works well in this sort of application.

2. The other approach would be to put a SBT, such as a K&K mini, in the T5z and process it with EQ and reverb.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-21-2020, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

I am an unabashed Taylor fanatic.

I have had a T5-12 and a T5z.

I started out loving them but them became disappointed in both. After the initial feelings wore off I realized that it was lacking in tone. And I grew particularly disappointed in the acoustic tones.

There was nothing I could do to make mine sound convincingly acoustic enough. So I just use an acoustic.

For those acoustic guitar geeks among us us that wrestle for that 1% difference in tone from glue choice, laminated wood grains, neck joints, nut material, etcetera.....
well having a guitar that sounds 60% as good as an electric and 70% as good as an acoustic (just for convenience) seems counter-intuitive.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 10-21-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
Another consideration in your comparison of your Taylor to the Fender is that the Fender is running through a built-in preamp with modeling...

https://guitar.com/review/acoustic-g...-stratocaster/
This sounds like a reasonable solution. I've never played that Taylor, but it doesn't look too different from my Electric Gibson, so I suspect the solution will be through sound processing.

I have an Aura Spectrum and it has a great many choices and capabilities (too many for me, but might be just what you need).
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 10-21-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
I have had some success with running my T5 through one of the magnetic pickup images on the Fishman Aura pedal...
Would this be what you're referring to?

https://images.reverb.com/image/uplo...9aop9du9bb.jpg
Old 10-21-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Seems to me there are two ways to go.
  1. Install a UST as a separate pickup system and use an IR based pedal to see if you can boost it to better acoustic tones. That is the core architecture of an Acoustasonic.

A canned IR pedal like a Zoom might do the trick with little time spent experimenting. For IR loaders, I've got an IR I created with an all plywood guitar that works well in this sort of application.

2. The other approach would be to put a SBT, such as a K&K mini, in the T5z and process it with EQ and reverb.
Seems like option 2 would be easier? Which do you predict would yield better results?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion