The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-16-2019, 12:34 PM

Default Wall hangers?

I finally have a room I can dedicate to guitars/music, and I am thinking of going the wall hanger route for my acoustics. Part for the aesthetics and part for the ease of pulling down different guitars. (No need to school me on why cases are better because of humidity control, UV, etc. - all good points I acknowledge)

I’ve heard some tales of wall mounts that left marks on the finish. So my question is do you have a recommended wall hanger that is safe for nitrocellulose finishes and reliably secure? TIA.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:48 PM

" Off the Wall Hangar"

Only ones with 3 set screws, and great with nitro.

imho
Old 10-16-2019, 01:27 PM

I thought the Hercules ones used to be good to go with nitro? Maybe I'm just getting old.

2014 Pono OP-10DC
2013 Martin 0015M
60's Harmony Stella
Old 10-16-2019, 01:30 PM

I had an inexpensive guitar that I hung on an hercules wall hanger for show, and after about a year, the foam padding glued itself to the headstock
Old 10-16-2019, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren01 View Post
I had an inexpensive guitar that I hung on an hercules wall hanger for show, and after about a year, the foam padding glued itself to the headstock
I wonder if that would have happened if you'd taken it down and played it from time to time? Don't know, but it would seem if that kind of problem was gonna happen, those molecules would be a lot less prone to bond if they were moved around from time to time.

I have five Hercules wall hangers (only four guitars these days though) and I've never had any problems with them. They're definitely very protective of keeping the guitar in place. A couple of the electrics I've hung from them had nitro-cellulose finish and I never had any problems. But, first off, I played them a lot. And, second, I've read that not all such finishes are created equal. I don't think Hercules guarantees against problems with ALL finishes. Although I believe they tend to be very good with most...

-Ray
Old 10-16-2019, 06:20 PM

I have had 20 guitars on angled StringSwing hangers for 14 years. Not a bit of wear, no deterioration or marks, never a failure, absolutely perfect solution. The room is humidified to 40-45% year round. (That is not optional.)

Cases suck if you have more than a few guitars.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

I use Hercules hangers.

They improved their rubber padding to be nitrocellulose friendly but I am overly cautious.

I spent about 5 minutes and made little brown felt sleeves - a quick run on the sewing machine to make one long tube then snip to 2" lengths.

So mine are protected by felt and its a super super easy hack

(had pics but photobucket hated the world so they are gone)

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 10-16-2019, 06:33 PM

I've had 6 guitars on String Swing hangers, for close to 4 years now. I don't think any guitar has stayed in one of the hangers for more than 2 weeks without being pulled down to be played. I've never had any issues with finish, construction, integrity, performance, etc. They have all worked just as intended. I would just recommend you mount them into a stud and not use drywall anchors, especially if you've got any electrics you plan to hang up.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 10-16-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I use Hercules hangers.

They improved their rubber padding to be nitrocellulose friendly but I am overly cautious.

I spent about 5 minutes and made little brown felt sleeves - a quick run on the sewing machine to make one long tube then snip to 2" lengths.

So mine are protected by felt and its a super super easy hack

(had pics but photobucket hated the world so they are gone)

I am doing a room at home as well with reclaimed wood to hang against, should be really nice when done. I was thinking along this same line, ie. to cover the hangers with something. First I was going to ask my luthier buddies what they thought, but I was thinking of a nice soft leather instead of felt.

I have know idea if anyone has tried that or it is a stupid idea, I have not asked anyone yet what they thought.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I am doing a room at home as well with reclaimed wood to hang against, should be really nice when done. I was thinking along this same line, ie. to cover the hangers with something. First I was going to ask my luthier buddies what they thought, but I was thinking of a nice soft leather instead of felt.

I have know idea if anyone has tried that or it is a stupid idea, I have not asked anyone yet what they thought.
You always hear “don’t leave your leather strap on your guitar in your case.” I’ve often wondered why. Is there a potential reaction between guitar finish and tanning chemicals? Or just a scratching issue?
Old 10-16-2019, 07:29 PM

I was on the same quest recertify and see out to buy a couple of Hercules wallhangers. Before heading over to GC, I stopped at my local guitar shop just in case they'd have them as well. They didn't but the owner recommended String Swing hangers to me. I was skeptical because they are not locking and look less sturdy but the owner said that's all they ever use in the store for many years with no issues. No problem with finish, either. The other point he made was that the Hercules hangers are really ugly and bulky in comparison, and I had to agree. I ended up buying a couple of String Swings (for the price of one Hercules, you get four of these) and so far no complaints. Does what is supposed to, looks nice and super-easy install. My only caveat would be that it you live in an earthquake-prone area, go with Hercules instead.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 10-16-2019, 08:06 PM

Smile

After checking out a few options, I decided to create my own out of some 'barnwood' (stained pine) I picked up from Home Depot. A jigsaw, some determination, and a couple of beers later I had my guitars stored and out of the way...

Old 10-16-2019, 08:25 PM

Another option is an open guitar rack. All of the benefits of wall hangers with none of the pitfalls. All of my guitars are in open wood racks.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 10-16-2019, 09:08 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I love your homemade set up mikiekimi, but if I made that my project I would be getting serious grief about all the other things around the house I’ve promised to fix and are not quite finished....

Stringswing sounds promising. I live in the Seattle area though, and we are due for an earthquake. Maybe Hercules with some felt is the way to go.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:32 AM

I have had seven instruments hanging on wall hangers for nearly twenty years now. Only the first caused any trouble. That was a no-name I got from a local shop. The plastic on the hanger reacted badly with the finish on a luthier-made guitar. After I got the finish repaired, I removed the plastic and replaced it with natural leather. I haven’t had any trouble with that, or any other, hanger since.

This system allows me easy access to all of them, and my wife is fine with the musical decor in our living room.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion