The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2019, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
... You stick the end of the string through the hole in the tuning post and start winding. That really is all there's to it...
But don't you need to pull most of the string through the hole before you start winding?
Which leads to -- how much slack string do you leave, and do you cut then or after winding.

I did the Martin lock for 60 years because I didn't know different. All those sharp ends sticking up, and so hard to remove.
Now with the forum, I like pulling a little beyond the peg and cutting before bending the last 1/4 inch, and then winding up the slack.
And am next going to try pulling taut, manually wrapping twice, then winding and cutting.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

I have found in 25 years of playing, and having used a variety of stringing methods, that pretty much all the stringing methods work fine. I go with the easiest. Poke the string through, get a couple of wraps, seat the string. Bam. The “locking” methods of back-wrapping the string ends do nothing, in my experience, except add complication to installation and removal.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage40s View Post
But don't you need to pull most of the string through the hole before you start winding?
Which leads to -- how much slack string do you leave, and do you cut then or after winding.

I did the Martin lock for 60 years because I didn't know different. All those sharp ends sticking up, and so hard to remove.
Now with the forum, I like pulling a little beyond the peg and cutting before bending the last 1/4 inch, and then winding up the slack.
And am next going to try pulling taut, manually wrapping twice, then winding and cutting.

Nope, just put through enough to see, pull it taut, and start winding making sure the winds are headed toward the headstock. Having an electric winder makes this a breeze!
scott
Old 10-18-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Nope, just put through enough to see, pull it taut, and start winding making sure the winds are headed toward the headstock. Having an electric winder makes this a breeze!
scott
Interesting as I've had lots of pros tell me that you really only want 2 to 3 winds or it'll change the tone (some claimed more likely to break but I haven't found that to be true).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion