The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-16-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
That's a me too.

I've looked at this locking business but I see no reason.
I pre-cut, to lengths that suit me, make a 90 degree bend abut 1/4" - 3/8" at the end, thread that through the capstan, first wind above, three winds underneath, done. No slippage, not tuning issues.

That's what I do...

I'm no fan of the "Martin knot", see no need for it, plus it's a PITA when you're removing it for a string change...

BTW Andy, I used your vid on stringing slotheads when I got my first one...I now have 3 slotheads and changing strings on them is just an easy-peasy routine for me...
Old 10-16-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
The method that the OP is referring to is not the Taylor method. The method I now use for most strings is that which the OP is inquiring about: 1) After installing the string in the bridge, bring the string taught up to the tuning post. Manually wrap twice around the post- THEN insert the string into the post hole and pull it through taught. Then tune to pitch.
When I took a tour of the Santa Cruz Guitar shop a couple of months ago, I watched one of their luthiers string a guitar this way. Looked very quick and easy. Will use this method next time I change my strings.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:02 AM

Around the pole, through the hole, pull up tight, tune it right, play all night.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 10-16-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
The method I now use for most strings is that which the OP is inquiring about: 1) After installing the string in the bridge, bring the string taught up to the tuning post. Manually wrap twice around the post- THEN insert the string into the post hole and pull it through taught. Then tune to pitch.
I just used this method for the first time last weekend and I think it's changed my life (OK, well a bit of an overstatement). So much easier and faster than any way I've done it in the past that it actually surprised me when I was done. I was watching TV at the time and only half paying attention yet the half hour show that started when I pulled the guitar out of the case was still on when I was already playing the new strings. Plus, with only a few winds they look very tidy to boot!
Old 10-16-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffaOM1 View Post
When I took a tour of the Santa Cruz Guitar shop a couple of months ago, I watched one of their luthiers string a guitar this way. Looked very quick and easy. Will use this method next time I change my strings.
Some time back there was a video of SCGC luthier Gerard Egan using a very similar method.
he was at a local guitar show and was doing (if you can believe it ) restrings if you bought a set of SCGC strings.
it was so quick ,easy and bloodless that I have never again done it any other way.
Maybe someone out there has that video.??

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 10-16-2019, 12:21 PM

There is no need for any complex procedure that would qualify as this or that "technique." You stick the end of the string through the hole in the tuning post and start winding. That really is all there's to it. Been doing this for years, and never had any issues whatsoever. Tying a shoelace is more complex. Really.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 10-16-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I do it exactly as shown except they left off the step where you poke your finger with the end of one of the treble strings and bleed all over the place.
I've got that part down to an art. Complete with expletives.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:07 PM

Maybe one of these is the thread you were looking for?

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...ringing+method

These should keep you busy reading for a few hours. There definitely isn't a lack of enthusiasm for string-changing techniques!
Old 10-16-2019, 02:26 PM

No pre-cutting - No over/under.
Just thread the string in the hole, pull back some, wind it down, cut off excess when there's some tension.
.... and they come off just as easy!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-16-2019, 04:16 PM

I’ve used what’s come to be known as the Taylor restringing method since before there was a Taylor Guitar Company: we used to call it the “fishhook method”: you take the string a ways past the tuner post, give it a sharp bend, clip off most of it so that you’ve made a little “fishhook,” then hook that through the post and bring it up to pitch.

Then we’d stretch the string five or six times, bringing it up to pitch each time, until it held the note. Then we’d move onto the next string.

This was a common technique among bluegrass and folk players in the Kansas City area where I’m from. In addition to being easy, it’s also fast- which was a consideration for us at all the outdoor festivals we’d play during the hot months. It often gets well above 100 degrees Fahrenheit with 100% humidity in that country, and in those days before coated strings it wasn’t uncommon to go through a couple of sets of strings in a day. At the very least we changed our strings every night of a three or four day festival.

As previously mentioned in this thread, when you’re using the fishhook/Taylor stringing method, the strings go on quickly and easily, and come off quickly and easily, as well.

The only strings that I don’t put on my instruments using this method are the plain steel A and E strings on the mandolin, the high octave D and G strings on the 12 string guitar, and the high drone fifth string on the 5 string banjo.

When brought to pitch those strings are under too much tension for this stringing method to work properly, so when putting those strings on I loop them through the shaft.

But every string on a 6 string guitar will work perfectly this way.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-16-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I think it's basically the Taylor method referred to above kind of in reverse. You just take the string and wrap it around the tuner post two or three times and when it's almost level with the hole you pass it through and pull it tight. Bring it to tune and cut it. It works well as I have several guitars currently with strings my luthier/tech changed when he did other work to them.
This is how I've always done my non-slothead guitars, mandos, banjos, etc. since I started in the 70's. I pull the string fairly tight by hand before wrapping around the post. Because most everything I play has a floating bridge and tailpiece, I only change one course of strings at a time. This also makes taking the old strings off much easier as there is no over/under, reverse lock, or knot type of nonsense to deal with.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
Maybe one of these is the thread you were looking for?

These should keep you busy reading for a few hours. There definitely isn't a lack of enthusiasm for string-changing techniques!
Thanks that helped. I found this video on the method I was talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyOo...L&t=0s&index=4
2019 Martin CEO-9
Old 10-17-2019, 03:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
That's what I do...

I'm no fan of the "Martin knot", see no need for it, plus it's a PITA when you're removing it for a string change...

BTW Andy, I used your vid on stringing slotheads when I got my first one...I now have 3 slotheads and changing strings on them is just an easy-peasy routine for me...
That's great to hear ! Thanks, and I use a similar method for slabhead guitars too.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:25 AM

Well I changed strings on my Taylor Custom yesterday and tried the wrap method. I have to say (especially for my first effort) it was fairly simple and easy. I started on the low E and could have done better. That is the only wrap that looks a little wonky. Think I started with one too many wraps. Rest look nice and neat. There is a lot less tuner winding with this method.
2019 Martin CEO-9
Old 10-18-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I've never used any over or under or locking. I just use what's become known as the Taylor Method as described here:

https://www.taylorguitars.com/suppor...-steel-strings

I do it exactly as shown except they left off the step where you poke your finger with the end of one of the treble strings and bleed all over the place.

I use the same method as Chris does, including the recommended finger poke! This, to me, is be far the easiest and fastest way to restring my guitars. And I'm not even a Taylor guy.
scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion