The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-28-2019, 03:12 AM
Charter Member

Default I hate GAS!!!

OK...am I gonna be cursed all my life with GAS? I have a roomful of great guitars....I just sold a killer 00-18 and 000-18 because they just didn't speak to me...AND...I had another amazing 49' 00'18...and...my 2 Pre-War's are all any human will ever need...and now...here I am...looking at that beautiful Taylor tobacco burst 810 and the Bourgeois JOM (artisan) guitar...I used to have one just like it and have always missed that guitar.....it's a dang curse!!!!!...(I know....1st world problems....not expecting any sympathy)
Old 09-28-2019, 03:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
OK...am I gonna be cursed all my life with GAS? I have a roomful of great guitars....I just sold a killer 00-18 and 000-18 because they just didn't speak to me...AND...I had another amazing 49' 00'18...and...my 2 Pre-War's are all any human will ever need...and now...here I am...looking at that beautiful Taylor tobacco burst 810 and the Bourgeois JOM (artisan) guitar...I used to have one just like it and have always missed that guitar.....it's a dang curse!!!!!...(I know....1st world problems....not expecting any sympathy)
Yes you have a problem and the only solution it to rid your self of all possessions and live a minimalistic life style............ When your ready you can send me your OMJM
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 09-28-2019, 05:25 AM

Owning two dozen plus guitars, how do you bond with any of them?

I have five guitars, and sometimes I think that I have too many...
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 09-28-2019, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

$ongwriter, you do appear to have quite a guitar collection, but you and the rest of us need to put it into some sort of perspective with the rest of your/our life's hobbies/acquisitions/addictions. Expensive lifestyle, dining out, cars, real estate, furniture, drinking/smoking? I don't claim that guitars are a great investment, but in a pinch they can be flipped and turned into needed funds. My girlfriend often gives me grief about guitar acquisition, but all I need to do is remind her about the $$$ she's potentially lost on the purchase of her condo, stocks and gifts to her adult children to put it into perspective. Everything is relative, and GAS doesn't exist in a vacuum....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-28-2019, 05:57 AM

Decided to delete post.

Last edited by jljohn; 09-29-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:24 AM

With over 40 guitars, I am not one to preach, but I do have some insight:

For a long time I was an acquirer of guitar models, not instruments. For example, "I should own a Les Paul. Let's hunt for one." Insert any model you like into that sentence. And repeat it dozens of times.

With enough of these acquisitions, some will naturally become instruments first, and examples of something second. But it's a costly and indulgent process, not one I'm ultimately proud of. It's been a great learning experience too, but I wouldn't try to rationalize it that way.

I am now firmly an owner/buyer of instruments. A guitar has to prove itself as something I can really bond to as a player, and nothing more. Bling, rarity, historical significance, popularity, image, appearance in the hands of a musical hero, etc. etc. are no longer important criteria for acquiring yet another thing.

Maybe you can look at it that way...

I have a bunch of guitars to sell at this point!
Old 09-28-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
I fully understand your desire to own beautifully crafted guitars. Some are a work of art and like all beautiful art in other mediums, it's nice to have people like them and have a desire to possess them. If beautifully crafted objects were never purchased, there would be less incentive to produce them and might cease to exist. The lifeblood of artists and craftsmen are the avid collectors out there.
All that being said when it comes to guitars, how many can you actually play and have a need for to fill your musical needs? That number is different for every player...depending on how much they play, whether or not they are professional, and lastly how well heeled they are. For me I think the sweet spot is right around 8-12. I'm almost there with my 7 guitars. So I'm almost there!
Old 09-28-2019, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcomber View Post
Owning two dozen plus guitars, how do you bond with any of them?

I have five guitars, and sometimes I think that I have too many...
I somewhat share this sentiment. I'm at 6 now but that will be corrected to 5 in short order. Every acquisition I make is in the context of whether or not it can beat out what I currently own, and/or fill a missing niche somewhere. A guitar can make a great first impression, but later present issues like neck discomfort or long term playability problems that I can't live with long term. After a couple months however, I would think most of us have an inkling if it's a keeper.

If that were my collection, I'd start A/Bing like crazy, and separate the wheat from the chaff. My bet is you can get down to 10 - 12 pretty easily, and put a LOT of cash back into your pocket. My bet is that your two Pre*War guitars will be in the finals.

Good luck!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 09-28-2019, 08:37 AM
Guest 33123

To quote that tune by Radiohead:

"You do it to yourself, you do
And that's what really hurts."

Old 09-28-2019, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
I somewhat share this sentiment. I'm at 6 now but that will be corrected to 5 in short order. Every acquisition I make is in the context of whether or not it can beat out what I currently own, and/or fill a missing niche somewhere. A guitar can make a great first impression, but later present issues like neck discomfort or long term playability problems that I can't live with long term. After a couple months however, I would think most of us have an inkling if it's a keeper.

If that were my collection, I'd start A/Bing like crazy, and separate the wheat from the chaff. My bet is you can get down to 10 - 12 pretty easily, and put a LOT of cash back into your pocket. My bet is that your two Pre*War guitars will be in the finals.

Good luck!

I resonate with this. I am at 5 on my way to 4. I got totally seduced by the tone of a guitar last year but after a couple of months realized that my left hand was not going to adjust to the nut width and scale length. But, I was still looking to fill a longing for a guitar with less overtones and more fundamental. So, I put one on consignment and commissioned the maker to build a custom for me. Couldn’t be happier and still regularly play the others.

I think that my GAS is pretty well cured as my 4 each bring something different tonally and my bank account has no more bandwidth for the guitar expense line.

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-28-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post

Good luck!
A/B comparison helped me. I used to have a large seashell collection. Now, I only have a few seashells that deliver the best ocean sound when brought up to my ears.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.

Last edited by Beakybird; 09-28-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:02 AM

I didn't ever think I'd have anything nice to say about the onset of arthritis, but it has pretty much killed my GAS! Finally!

Tommy
Old 09-28-2019, 09:09 AM

Wink

Firstly, stop reading forums like this one. I find GAS only becomes an issue when I'm reading about guitars...

Second, stop visiting guitar stores and playing guitars. If you don't find one there that you like you can't buy it.

Third, I can only wish that I had enough money to satisfy my GAS with as many guitars as the OP and still afford to live. Currently with 2 electrics and 4 acoustics.

OK, only [half] joking.....
Old 09-28-2019, 09:17 AM

I would tread carefully if I was in your position. Think of your guitars as a classroom of children - some tall, some short, some bright, not so bright, weak, strong - accept each of them for what they are. If you go pitting one against the other to thin the herd, it may reflect on your conscience - you will invariably have regrets.

Much better to accept that you are a collector, care for all of them, have compassion for yourself, own what you have, and seek other pursuits.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:22 AM

I strongly believe my wife would much rather see me spend money on guitars then other women.😁
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion