The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-21-2018, 11:48 AM

Default What are some cars that you like that you probably shouldn't?

I saw this question posted in an online video, and I thought it was interesting.

Is there are car or truck (or maybe other vehicle?) that you like but you probably shouldn't? I know for me, I love Chevy Suburbans. These days, you're lucky to find one with over 200k miles without that famous piston slap. I still love the way they feel, handle, and look. I also like the idea of a big Chevy conversion van for road trips, but I'll probably never travel enough to ever justify having one.

Another weakness I have is for small British cars (think MG-line) from the 1970's, and cars of the like (TR-line, Opel GT's, etc.) or those little wedge-shaped cars like the Fiat X1/9. So many of these were riddled with mechanical problems and/or electrical gremlins (Bricklin anyone?), but I think they are so cool looking...even if they came with an oil leak straight from the factory.

Any cars out there that you really like, but on paper you shouldn't?
Old 06-21-2018, 11:56 AM

1957 T-Bird. 292 V-8. Nice to look at. I'm glad someone else has to keep them up and running.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 06-21-2018, 12:06 PM

Alfa Romeo.

Love them all, regardless of jaw dropping depreciation and reliability.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Chevy Camaro....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-21-2018, 12:43 PM

none really, im past that stage, i did have a triumph spitfire, 55 ford coupe, 95 miata, they all got sold, i have a 66 mustang i kept, basically it just sits in the garage- i have no desire for new sports or classy cars, actually i dont even like cars, im a truck guy- but a mid size SUV would be what i would get
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 06-21-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
Alfa Romeo.

Love them all, regardless of jaw dropping depreciation and reliability.
Agree. I like Alphas but I prefer reliability.

I have a friend who says he always buys a new Alpha because he can't afford to run a used one.

YouTube
Old 06-21-2018, 02:18 PM

As a tree hugger I buy only wimpy little cars, but I've always admired Corvettes and those 2-seater Jags from the 60s with the long long hood.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:23 PM

Ive never really been a car guy. I broke down a couple years ago, took a walk on the wild side and bought a convertible...a Volvo convertible. I may have a wild hair but I’m still practical.

Having said that, the new Vette’s, with their angularity, massive tires and general looks, make me all crazy. Getting one would make me a middle age transportation cliche, but, man, it must be awesome to drive one of those.

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-21-2018 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 06-21-2018, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I saw this question posted in an online video, and I thought it was interesting.

Is there are car or truck (or maybe other vehicle?) that you like but you probably shouldn't? I know for me, I love Chevy Suburbans. These days, you're lucky to find one with over 200k miles without that famous piston slap. I still love the way they feel, handle, and look. I also like the idea of a big Chevy conversion van for road trips, but I'll probably never travel enough to ever justify having one.

Another weakness I have is for small British cars (think MG-line) from the 1970's, and cars of the like (TR-line, Opel GT's, etc.) or those little wedge-shaped cars like the Fiat X1/9. So many of these were riddled with mechanical problems and/or electrical gremlins (Bricklin anyone?), but I think they are so cool looking...even if they came with an oil leak straight from the factory.

Any cars out there that you really like, but on paper you shouldn't?
Just some ones over $60k

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 06-21-2018, 02:41 PM

I'm now 16 years into my 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabriolet. That's my '69 Martin D-35 in the right seat.

https://imgur.com/XqoMQvW

With 70,000 miles on the clock I can say I've had good luck with this machine other than a failed RMS (common problem with the 996) at around 35,000 miles that did major harm to the engine. The fix was covered by warranty thankfully.

It's a 6-speed manual and I live in a place where I can (and do) put the top down almost every day of the year.

BAD stuff:

Repairs aren't that bad from a labor standpoint (lots of really good Porsche mechanics where I live), but buying original parts can be extremely expensive. How about a replacement right side sun visor for $500? I got a Boxster one (identical) for about $100. Want a replacement engine from Porsche? That'll cost you more than the car is worth, so you're better off to sell it as a roller and buy another car.

Window regulators are a problem because they are made of plastic to save weight. They do break. A power window repair job runs about $650.

Have to say, however, that I love this car to death and don't plan on ever parting with it. 320bhp is plenty and top down driving with the 6-Speed is pure bliss.

Always thought I was a Corvette guy. Then I drove a 911...

Last edited by 6L6; 06-21-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:21 PM

I love Porsche 911s and BMW 1,3 and 4 series.

The 911 because it's simply an amazing performance/racing car with amazing racing reliability and track record.

The BMWs because they closely match what I want from a daily driver - a small/midsize car that can be seat a few people and carry some luggage, but with a stiff chassis and nice amount of useable power.

Both are available with manual transmission.

However, I simply won't own a German automobile. They are fan-f'n-tastik when everything is right, but when something is wrong, it is egregious how much it costs to make it right again. Additionally, the Germans (these days) do a terrible job at designing things to be serviceable.

As an example, the Germans never put an access panel inside their cars that allows you to get at the in-tank fuel pump hanger from above. Instead you must remove the fuel tank from the car. The Japanese always include an access panel. I've never owned a car 10+ years old that didn't need a fuel pump replacement.

While the Japanese are amazing at building totally squared away cars, they certainly don't have the soul and passion of the Germans...
Old 06-21-2018, 03:31 PM

The German way:

The story behind this, is Audi customers complained the S5 V8 engine required timing belt replacement every 60k miles. Thoughtfully, Audi re-designed the engine to use a no-service-required timing chain arrangement instead. Because it no longer "ever" needed service, they packaged the whole chain network into the rear of the engine. Unfortunately, they goofed on the design of the chain tensioners and sliders, so they routinely break, destroying the ~$25k engine. Good news is you can pay $15k to have the dealer disassemble your car to install new tensioners and sliders before they fail and your engine eats itself.

The Japanese way:

No service ever required (no quotes around "ever")

Last edited by HodgdonExtreme; 06-21-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:34 PM

I had a 1956 MG Magnette, a 1967 Austin Healey, a 1970 Firebird Formula 400 4-speed and a 1987 Camaro IROC-Z as "collector cars" over the years. They all proved to be somewhat impractical after a while, so, I sold them. I should have kept them all.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:18 PM

I used to own this;

Now I drive this;

I'd like to have this;

Yes ... I like silver cars.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 06-21-2018, 05:21 PM

Default DMC-12

I honestly would love to own a Delorean.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic