The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-20-2018, 03:51 PM

Default Why is there not more sugar free and low calorie foods?

I am not what anyone would call fat but I have been dieting for several months and have lost almost 20 pounds.
This morning at 5'7" I weighed 151 lbs.
I am mostly losing weight to see if it really helps with joint arthritis.
It can just be crazy to read food labels and see calorie amounts.
Most sugar free products taste just fine to me.
And I do not believe that diet soda is worse for a person, come on, Coke Zero = no calories.
But just try buying other foods with zero or minimal calories.
Can only eat so much raw veggies and rice cakes.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:35 PM

Congratulations! That is amazing news and so hard to do.

To answer the question there are very few products that suit your needs. Erythrorbitol is an alcohol sugar which is sweet and is being used in ice creams now. That and aspartame (in diet Coke) can make your life sweeter.

Here in Canada there are many low sugar lines appearing. Perhaps you need to change where you shop. We have low sugar ice cream, candies, cookies, cakes.

There are so few products because producers are still making food products for young people and do not realize that as we age, our tolerances for junk change.

However, many low sugar products affect our gut ecosystem so I would say eat regular sweets, but ALOT less.

GL!@
Old 06-20-2018, 04:40 PM

Default Why is there not more sugar free and low calorie foods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
I am not what anyone would call fat but I have been dieting for several months and have lost almost 20 pounds.

And I do not believe that diet soda is worse for a person, come on, Coke Zero = no calories.

Check the carbs too. Carbs turn to sugar. Rice is bad stuff.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:59 PM

Taking sugar out of food usually means replacing it with artificial sugar which makes me sceptical. Artificial usually means chemicals and I'd rather have natural sugar over chemically infused alternatives.

Of course, 'Diet Coke' was only invented to stop people getting fat from the fries they have with it.

YouTube
Old 06-20-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Check the carbs too. Carbs turn to sugar. Rice is bad stuff.
Rice is not bad stuff. Opt for brown rice and eat in moderation in balance with protein unless you have health reasons that prohibit rice of course. The real problem are foods with added sugar.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
Rice is not bad stuff. Opt for brown rice and eat in moderation in balance with protein unless you have health reasons that prohibit rice of course. The real problem are foods with added sugar.

Bad for diabetics. And I hate brown rice.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:54 PM

The only reason rice or carbs can be "bad" is if your diet is loaded with saturated fat. Which most peoples diets are. Fats block the ability of insulin to move glucose into the cells, leaving it in your bloodstream.

Eat an all plant-based, high carb low fat diet? No problem with weight or diabetes, ever. Insulin resistance will be low, and no trouble absorbing sugar into the cells for energy. And you get rid of heart disease, multiple types of cancer, and on and on and on.

Eat a low carb, high fat diet and you won't have sugar in your system to worry about. There are some serious questions about the long-term health benefits of such an approach but you'll certainly lose weight in the short term. You will certainly be at risk for diabetes if you add sugar to such a diet because your cells will simply not be able to use the sugar in your bloodstream.

Eat a lot of fat and add in substantial carbs and you're on your way to diabetes eventually. And certainly a lot of weight in the short term.

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with carbs. Nothing.

Well worth watching: https://www.youtube.com/bU2ByJ-zxfg
Old 06-20-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Bad for diabetics.
That's why I said unless there are health reasons.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:16 AM

I was fat, but I'm now11 months into my weight loss effort. As of this morning, I've lost 52lbs.

I now power walk a minimum of 5 miles every day of the week. Some days I'll do 7.5 miles.

Gave up a lot of carbs. Only 100% whole wheat bread with lunch sandwiches.

I eat tons of fruit. Apples, Pears, slices of watermelon, cantaloupe & Small carrots for snacks. Salad with chicken and little or no dressing, I add grapes for added flavor.

I'm about 7 lbs from my final goal.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 06-21-2018, 06:12 AM

All processed foods contain refined sugar and generally too much sodium. Both are not only unhealthy but inhibit weight loss.
Carbohydrates found in pasta, bread, cereals, are not generally bad for you but if you don't limit your intake, you can't maintain weight loss.
Are you exercising? Everyone, especially folks over 40, needs to exercise to burn fat, increase their metabolism, improve lung and heart function, muscle tone and general health.
Eat as much unprocessed food as possible.
Here's a good formula:
Protein as in eggs, white chicken and turkey, white fish ...40% of your intake.
Carbohydrates as in fresh produce, green vegetables, fruits, berries fresh and dried ...25%
Carbohydrates as in whole grains such as beans, nuts, rice ...20%
Fats found in eggs,cheeses, bacon and oils ...15%
Raw unprocessed honey for sweetening.
Cinnamon and Cocoa have powerful anti-oxidant characteristics. They can be added to your diet in a variety of ways.
There is nothing wrong with eating desserts occasionally. In fact, you should.
No one will ever die from an occasional bowl of ice cream or a piece of cake or pie.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-21-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
I was fat, but I'm now11 months into my weight loss effort. As of this morning, I've lost 52lbs.

I now power walk a minimum of 5 miles every day of the week. Some days I'll do 7.5 miles.

Gave up a lot of carbs. Only 100% whole wheat bread with lunch sandwiches.

I eat tons of fruit. Apples, Pears, slices of watermelon, cantaloupe & Small carrots for snacks. Salad with chicken and little or no dressing, I add grapes for added flavor.

I'm about 7 lbs from my final goal.
I'm type 2 and this makes more sense of most things i've read. Nice post!

Last edited by bigreddog; 06-21-2018 at 06:41 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-21-2018, 06:50 AM

Nice going Riverwolf. I've lost 20# over 6 months, still slowly losing. What I did was eliminate the snacks in the form of ice cream, potato chips and other processed foods. Added sugars and substitutes put on the weight. I replaced them with cottage cheese and fresh fruit or cups of yogurt with fruit. I looked for the ones with the least sugar. The other thing I did was eat human portions and no seconds, even on buffets. I also drink plenty of water, a full 12 oz. glass at least 5-6 times a day. No soft drinks. Another thing I think has helped is limiting the times I eat. Nothing after 7pm and no solid food before 9am. Daily fast between 12 and 16 hours. This gives the body times to process and eliminate waste. If I feel like having something I do, just not everyday. My cravings has gone way down.
Part of this change came from trying to stay away from gout flare ups. Whenever I had a flare up and remembered what I had the last 2 weeks I knew what caused it. It usually came from 5-6 portions a week of bad items. I can have 2-3 portions a week of anything without causing a problem. Best of luck on your weight journey. Find what works for you without feeling deprived. That's the key to continued success.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
...but if you don't limit your intake, you can't maintain weight loss.....
This. The key to weight maintenance or weight loss - is portion/intake control. It's not hard to get over what a human body needs for daily calorie intake. Any addition of empty calories - mostly liquids (beer, sodas, juices, smoothies, anything from Starbucks..) easily puts you over. Once calorie intake exceeds daily intake, exercise and other remedies simply (possibly) neutralize your efforts for the day. The only way to lose weight is to expend more calories than are taken in daily. That takes discipline.

dkstott, Golffishny, Riverwolf, and others, you should be examples and inspirations to all of us. Congratulations. Losing weight is hard work and it takes dedication.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
As with many things and issues in life the problem is not necessarily the answers, it's the questions. Often we ask the wrong questions and either act based on correct answers to the wrong questions, or don't act because the answers seem to create more issues and the issues become circular and seem to have no solution.

For example:
The wrong question = which is worse health wise, diet or regular soda ?
The right question = why do I think I need soda at all ?

The wrong question = why are there not more sugar free processed foods
The right question = how do I get away from processed foods

etc.etc.etc etc.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 06-21-2018, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

...for health reasons I consider myself a born again sensible eater....I am an advocate for any diet change that results in better overall health....a plant based, low fat diet with mostly organic foods is what I have found to work best...and regular excercise...

....many people look at diet change as having to give up the food they love which often results in failure...my view is that you have to replace the unhealthy food you love with healthy food you love...it requires effort but it's way more possible than most people think it is....the human body is a willing organism when it comes improving health...it wants to feel good...I have a saying when it comes to eating...don't deny yourself...supply yourself

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic