The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-14-2018, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Sooner or later someone will post a NGD thread and it will be one of these HyVibe Guitars. Just take a deep breath and remember rule #1 of the AGF........Be Nice
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 06-14-2018, 07:13 PM

Yeah, no. Nothing even remotely close to acoustic on that...

Might be interested if it was an electric, but even then things that try to do multiple things usually end up not doing any of them well.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Sooner or later someone will post a NGD thread and it will be one of these HyVibe Guitars. Just take a deep breath and remember rule #1 of the AGF........Be Nice

Do you think the powers that be will make an exception for these?
Old 06-14-2018, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Just what we need. More microwave radiation. From a guitar. Sitting right in our laps.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 06-15-2018, 01:36 AM

I'm a early-bird crown funder of the HyVibe, and I'm looking forward to get it. It's delayed though, from June to September. I have the TonewoodAmp, and I especially simply adore being able to add delay to my acoustic when sitting outside in an open environment playing, where I get no natural echo or ambience at all. The TWA is a bit limited though, and the promised firmware updates as still only available as beta. I think the HyVibe will be more flexible and will get more frequent updates, the drawback is of course that you get locked to one (their) guitar.

I like "stuff" though, and in the end I prefer playing totally acoustic, not plugged in at all. But it's the same when I sing, I really don't like using a microphone.

/Per
Old 06-15-2018, 03:14 AM

Ok. I'm going to try and be serious for a bit. I've been playing for 30+ years and never really got the opportunity to play with others. Is this really better than just using a smartphone (perhaps with a relatively inexpensive mic) and a Bluetooth speaker maybe 4-5 feet away? Wouldn't that give me a more 'real-life' feel to playing with someone? The other is using software like Garage Band on a $300 iPad... If my guitar had a pick-up, I'd probably be more likely to use a looper. I'm just not sure who this guitar would be for.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean39 View Post
Do you think the powers that be will make an exception for these?
Ha.......It would be a risky move but If your not nice accompanied with a gifted guitar, say a Lowden or a froggy then I will be the first one to post the NGD.

It’s free to be nice

I actually don’t see a major issue with the concept and wish the company luck on the venture. Perhaps it will catch on.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 06-15-2018, 06:52 AM

It's now 549.00 ...How good can it be??
Old 06-15-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzin View Post
Ok. I'm going to try and be serious for a bit. I've been playing for 30+ years and never really got the opportunity to play with others. Is this really better than just using a smartphone (perhaps with a relatively inexpensive mic) and a Bluetooth speaker maybe 4-5 feet away? Wouldn't that give me a more 'real-life' feel to playing with someone? The other is using software like Garage Band on a $300 iPad... If my guitar had a pick-up, I'd probably be more likely to use a looper. I'm just not sure who this guitar would be for.

I truly don’t understand what the purpose of that speaker is. I don’t imagine the body of a guitar is optimal for amplifying music from my phone.

Just jam with a Bluetooth speaker like you said. With a decent sounding guitar. I’m sorry, but those guitars just don’t sound good to my ears. And they’ve taken the time to mic them in a studio room it seems, so they’re really working hard at getting sound. That distortion just sounds woeful to my ears.

This doesn’t quite seem like a product aimed at many on this forum. It seems like it’s trying to mesh technology with something very classic. This is probably done to bridge the gap between the newer generation of music that features lots of iMacs and few real instruments with an acoustic guitar.

The only people I could see interested in this are kids and maybe some hipster types who like Paul Oakenfold and some ironic acoustic loops. Distortion on acoustic? Phaser? Tremolo? None of these are things I associate with stuff that should go with acoustic sounds. That’s not to say it can’t be done. But I could eat my caviar with a metal spoon too.. if I were an ANIMAL! I’m kidding, of course.

Maybe there is a market for this. I just don’t understand what that market is. I certainly don’t want to down anyone for their invention or their hard work. I’m just trying to understand it.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Ha.......It would be a risky move but If your not nice accompanied with a gifted guitar, say a Lowden or a froggy then I will be the first one to post the NGD.

It’s free to be nice

I actually don’t see a major issue with the concept and wish the company luck on the venture. Perhaps it will catch on.

I’m only kidding, of course. If someone wants this guitar and it can help them be a better player, then I hope this guitar makes them happy.

I won’t be giving away and free Froggys.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:34 AM

I can't imagine how a 'backing track' played from the guitar's solid spruce top as a speaker is going to sound good at all.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-15-2018, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Its some very interesting tech - not sure I’d be eager to buy one, but would be happy to try it out sometime -
Old 06-15-2018, 09:23 AM

The option to use the guitar as a bluetooth speaker is, I guess, just a bonus as it's simply possible with the tech they have. I think it is a misstake to promote that feature as much though, as it takes away the main features of the guitar... which are the same as with the TonewoodAmp: to be able to get effects like reverb, delay etc without an external amplifier. Ad the looper to that... that feature is pretty cool.

/Per
Old 06-15-2018, 09:56 PM

I think" IF " anyone gets one of these .. Post
an honest review and let us know what you think??
I'll be sitting back eatin my popcorn.
PT Barnum Quotes come to mind..

Last edited by varmonter; 06-20-2018 at 06:27 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:20 AM

I despise how today's companies have absconded the term "smart" to describe their products almost as much as how Zuckerberg has absconded the term, "friend".

But people are stupid and there's billions of dollars to be made.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification