The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2018, 02:36 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I can’t tell you that, but I can tell you that it’s an industrial process. The end product is not very expensive at all, so presumably it’s a highly efficient and cost-effective procedure.

Did you happen to notice how, in the 1990’s, all sorts of inexpensive Asian-made acoustic guitars suddenly started becoming available with abalone purfling and rosettes? If you didn’t notice, that’s when it occurred.

It was the introduction of Abalam to the market that made that possible.
I think you're mixing two different things. Abalam is patented and only made by one company. It is significantly more expensive than solid shell, but the savings in work time far outweighs the expense of the raw material. I have never seen Abalam on a budget-priced import. Those often use another form of processed shell (when it is real shell) that is sliced very thin and applied as if were a sticker. Then a fairly thick finish is applied over top and it looks like inlay.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:29 PM

I have been accused by some of just "swatting the Hornets nest and standing back to watch the Chaos" with my two posts...... But Darn... I've Learned a lot.....hope some others have also.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 03-09-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
I think you're mixing two different things. Abalam is patented and only made by one company. It is significantly more expensive than solid shell, but the savings in work time far outweighs the expense of the raw material. I have never seen Abalam on a budget-priced import. Those often use another form of processed shell (when it is real shell) that is sliced very thin and applied as if were a sticker. Then a fairly thick finish is applied over top and it looks like inlay.
Some Asian guitar companies use a sticker-like material for their more entry level guitars, you're correct about that, but plenty are using either Abalam brand laminated abalone or similar products on somewhat more expensive guitar models, and still selling their guitars for far less than American-made guitar companies are selling their equivalent Abalam-trimmed premium models. The price of materials with Abalam is not very costly at all, and it takes no more skill to use than any other production step in an assembly line guitar factory. It's a skill that can be taught and learned in five minutes or less.

I watched a minimum wage factory worker at the Tacoma Guitar Company factory gluing Abalam into place on one guitar after another after another, and it took only seconds to do on each. That was Abalam brand laminated abalone, too, which at the time was the only product of its type on the market.

So it's neither an expensive material to use nor does it require a difficult or costly method of installation. Honestly, I had arts & crafts projects at Boy Scout summer camp that were more challenging to execute.

As for Asian guitar manufacturers using US-made Abalam or competing products, virtually every high production solid wood or solid top acoustic guitar made anywhere uses spruce or cedar from trees harvested in the American Pacific Northwest or British Columbia. So importing guitar materials from North America is routine business practice for guitar factories everywhere. So, yes, they can and do import Abalam, as well.

whm
Old 03-09-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFox View Post
I have been accused by some of just "swatting the Hornets nest and standing back to watch the Chaos" with my two posts...... But Darn... I've Learned a lot.....hope some others have also.
If it was objectionable the moderators would have already come knocking on your door, so to speak. Unlike many guitar forum controversies, these discussions have at least been interesting and enlightening.

whm
Old 03-09-2018, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Great discussion folks. I look at an alleged tone improvement from bling this way: some of tone is subjective so my audience looking at my Taylor 814 assumes I must play pretty well. That said, it is very well built with some high grade wood choices.

Much like the Ping golf clubs I inherited from my father. When I play my usual hack game the rest of the foursome just assumes I'm having a bad day since I have such nice clubs!
Old 03-09-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
Great discussion folks. I look at an alleged tone improvement from bling this way: some of tone is subjective so my audience looking at my Taylor 814 assumes I must play pretty well. That said, it is very well built with some high grade wood choices.

Much like the Ping golf clubs I inherited from my father. When I play my usual hack game the rest of the foursome just assumes I'm having a bad day since I have such nice clubs!
Let me guess.......you have Ping EYE 2's.........like me!
Old 03-09-2018, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This was my understanding, as well (that Abalam is more expensive, but less labor intensive to install).

Aside from Eastman and some of the higher end boutique builders, has everyone else gone to using Abalam or a cheaper substitute?
Old 03-10-2018, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Hi Todd...

Take if for what it's worth to you...

But according to my friend John Greven...Abalam is quite a bit less expensive to buy and use then actual Pearl and Abalone blanks...and it is much easier and quicker to work with on the guitar...in either inlays or purfling...than actual Pearl/Abalone pieces...which significantly lowers the labor cost on that portion of the guitar build.

And I have seen a lot of mid and lower level priced imports using Abalam, I'm sure due to the ease and quickness of use, and lower up front cost to purchase.

Also...John believes that Chuck Erickson...The Duke of Pearl...was the one whom help invent and bring Abalam to the market...at least he was the first person that John ever saw offering Abalam to builders.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion