The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-23-2018, 04:41 PM

Default Tennis Elbow Help for Guitarists

Old 06-23-2018, 07:40 PM

That and STOP PLAYING RIGHT AWAY and dump the darned guitar that does not fit you which caused it.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:47 PM

If what I was told was correct, tennis elbow is an inflammation of a specific tendon that in turn irritates the sheath through which the tendon runs.

For me, years of the "Vulcan Death Grip" while playing caused severe elbow pain when fretting my guitar. I was told to wear one of those stretchy bands with the lump on the underside with the lump pushing on the tendon in question (more of an upper portion of my forearm than the actual elbow.

In addition to wearing said lump band, I had to consciously squeeze with much less force.

This combination helped me get over my "tennis elbow" (quotes in place to point out that I haven't played tennis in over 40 years...)

Best of luck,
PJ
Old 06-25-2018, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Another thing that will really help is to freeze a water bottle and roll your forearm on it. Roll the sore spots and the parts that aren't sore. It only takes a couple minutes for just a couple days and it really helps.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:01 AM

This is what finally fixed it for me:

Old 05-15-2020, 10:26 AM

I had it bad. 6 months in and it wouldn't heal. Upon my dr's suggestion, I started going to the gym 3 days a week doing light weights, whole body workouts. It took about a month, but that and a pinched nerve in my back are now almost completely healed. I did wear that band while playing and working out. I don't need the band anymore.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Finally, somebody acknowledges that you don't get "tennis" elbow from playing guitar, but instead "guitar" elbow.

But, then people talk about "the gloves come off" as if they are big, tough bare-knuckled fighters when in fact, they are usually anything but. The English language is a funny thing...

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-15-2020, 01:14 PM

My tennis elbow took 14 months to finally heal. This is while trying EVERY internet exercise/fix I could find, plus physio/shock therapy. Cortisone shot helped, but only for about 4 weeks.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:42 PM

I have it on and off. The biggest help in getting out of it is paying attention to the damage I do while sleeping. Which is a lot! During a period of pain, going to bed with a compression sleeve on it doesn't fix it, but it definitely means I will wake up without burning pain.

Unfortunately I am not smart enough to take care of my elbow sleep health when I don't have a flare-up. I did sort out a solution for shoulder pain, so maybe I'll step up and find a solution to everyday elbow sleep hygiene.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:48 PM

My fav YouTube channel for all things prehab/rehab is SmashweRx. This guy dispenses stuff for pretty much every joint in the body and has been nothing short of transformational for me.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:12 PM

I can get a flare up now and again and the best thing I have used is the cooper fit sleeve, this has been the best relief that I have come across. This has been a life saver, I was about to give up playing completely it was so bad.

https://www.amazon.com/Copper-Fit-Or.../dp/B0158FBM9E
Old 06-04-2020, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Another thing that will really help is to freeze a water bottle and roll your forearm on it. Roll the sore spots and the parts that aren't sore. It only takes a couple minutes for just a couple days and it really helps.
This is what I was told to do.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic