The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-06-2018, 04:47 AM

Congrats. My Dad was born in West "By God" Virginia and it's one of the prettiest places on the Planet.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 06-06-2018, 05:15 AM

Congrats! Have the time of your life.

I have been retired 6 working days now. In that short amount of time I've broken my big toe on one foot and acquired severe plantar fasciitis in the other. Doctors orders are to stay off my feet. I'm going nuts.

Yeah, that Goldwing and WBGV are a great combo. I'm jealous.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 06-08-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootch View Post

I have been retired 6 working days now. In that short amount of time I've broken my big toe on one foot and acquired severe plantar fasciitis in the other. Doctors orders are to stay off my feet. I'm going nuts.

Ouch!!!! Get well soon and enjoy your retirement with great health.

Since I've been retired, I have walked over 6 miles with a push mower, stained the deck, and built a flower box for my daughter. In this short week, I've managed to bruise the bottom of my foot and tweak the back. It is all good though.

Oh, I must not forget my wife. We had a surgical procedure Monday. They were checking on her brain aneurism repairs from a few years back (1 stent and 3 coils). All looked great and we were told she would most likely never have to endure another procedure like that again. We are very thankful and know we and most importantly, she is blessed.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations, Tom... hope you enjoy retirement. I'm not too far behind you. And I wish you and your wife the best of health!
Old 06-08-2018, 03:49 PM

Thanks, all. Latest news is a freezer half full of beef died, and I found out a little too late. It was gross but not quite repulsive yet. So on the bright side my electric bill should go down.

Then, two days ago my v6 Jeep started running rough and the engine light came on. My analyzer says cyl1 misfiring. Google reports back that that engine is prone to valve issues. Goodbye to $2500 there.

But, all in all I am relaxed and enjoying my twilight years.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 06-09-2018, 09:57 AM

Sounds like you are off to a great start on this retirement business, Tom. Good to hear about your wife's good report, too. Thank you for and congratulations on your service in law enforcement.

I retired two years ago, but am now working in the same field (music ministry) about 20 hours a week, and love it. The folks I'm working with seem to love me, too, for some strange reason. I don't have a Goldwing; for me a Polaris Slingshot was a better choice. I'm loving it! This week I've been working with kids in Vacation Bible School. At the end of each day, I'd give different ones, with their parent's permission, rides, probably 75 or more, not including the Big Kids. I never exceeded 35 mph, but would accelerate quickly enough for them to laugh and squeal about "going super fast." They enjoyed it almost as much as I did!

I think the secret to a happy retirement is staying active as you can, doing the things you enjoy as much as you can. Those who are most unhappy are those who sit and watch reruns of "The Price Is Right" all day. Sounds to me like you already know this. Enjoy this time of your life - like every other age, it's The Best!

cotten
Old 06-11-2018, 01:05 PM

Thanks everyone for the wishes regarding my retirement. I plan on making the most of it and being available for family and friends to offer a hand when they call. I believe it is about time to strum a chord or two as last week the opportunity didn't present itself.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:51 PM
Charter Member

Enjoy your retirement Tom! I hope you enjoy the freedom and the opportunities to help others!

- Glenn
Old 06-12-2018, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations Tom. Life goes fast and so do the days during retirement. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:59 PM

Default Congratulations

Enjoy your retirement and the things you love to do. Warning, time zips by very fast in retirement. I retired in 2013 and I cannot believe it has been five years already, it feels like two maybe three years. I am busy with cars, guitars and cameras, relaxing and making new friends. Life is awesome.

Larrivee, LV-03E Sitka/Peruvian Walnut
Bourgeois, Dreadnaught DB Signature, Italian Spruce/Madagascar Rosewood
Old 06-13-2018, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, Tom!

I am retired LE too, for 8 years now. The secret to a successful retirement is to find your rhythm, which is different in retirement than while you are working. Took me a couple of years to stop feeling like I should be doing something all the time.

It also took me a few years to stop looking at every license plate and watching for red light runners. But I still look at every face when I walk into a grocery store, and I still don't carry anything in my dominant hand if I can help it. And I still try to park in such a way that I don't have to back out. These are good habits to have, so I keep them.

Good luck to you!
Old 06-14-2018, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootch View Post

I feel your pain I am recovering from surgical removal of "mortons neuroma" from my left foot. Suffered with it for years, had surgery, one month now and hurts every day. No fun for sure.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:10 PM

Hi Tom,

I'm a little late to the thread (I don't wander in the Open Mic area as often as I used to) but I wanted to add my congrats to you. Enjoy the heck out of your retirement. You've earned it! (I'll be there in just a tad over 2 years...trying to max out Social Security before I hang up my own spurs.)

Not sure what part of the WV "hills" you're in (there's a lot of 'em in your state, as I recall), but I spent some very happy weeks in my late college/early post-grad days...early '70s...on a friend's family's land in Back Creek Valley, about half an hour out of Martinsburg. Last plot of privately-owned land (c.200 acres) before you hit several hundred thousand acres of state forest preserve. Large pond fed by a mountain stream, stocked with assorted feisty finny critters, A-frame cabin...no water heater, but we made do. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Got so relaxed I almost didn't want to come back to Texas. Almost.

I wish you equally serene days ahead...and some exciting ones, too, when you want them...in the greatest possible abundance. Just ease up a bit on the yardwork or you'll run out of things to do!

Meanwhile, when your wife gets home from work tonight (I assume she's back now...congrats, too, on her good medical report), give her an extra-long kiss and tell her you're the luckiest man alive. Because it sounds very much like you just might be.

Enjoy.

Dirk

Last edited by dirkronk; 06-14-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:32 AM

Congrats Tom! I know you've mentioned retirement a few times in the past and it's finally here. Thanks for posting the good news about your wife too.

I'm in Charleston for a few weeks for work. Perhaps our schedules will align.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic