The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-31-2018, 11:07 PM

Default Using separate microphone for vocals and guitar...

This is a hypothetical question since I don't need to do this at this point.

My "main" guitars have onboard electronics, but I have a couple of guitars without pickups that I may conceivably want to perform with. I know there are removable pickups, but I'm curious about the microphone option.

If I wanted to mike my vocals and a guitar with separate (vocal and instrument) microphones through my stage amp at the same time, what would be a simple way of setting it up?

Is there an add-on boom for my stand? An admittedly quick search didn't turn up anything. Am I stuck having to use two stands?
Am I better off getting one microphone designed to handle both?

Eternally curious...
Old 01-31-2018, 11:27 PM

A separate mic is preferred. Remember this awkward moment?
https://youtu.be/6M3czPYD9Mk
Old 02-01-2018, 06:39 AM

The simple answer is yes, there are attachments for stands that allow you to put an instrument mic at the right height without having to have two stands.

I would not advocate using one microphone. There are many who do and get great results but in my experience there is usually (not always) a trade off with gain levels, eq settings etc to suit the one which is detrimental to the other.

What amp are you using? The best solution for putting both through the same amp (unless your amp has two separate mic inputs) is a small mixer with at least two mic channels where you can set the right input gain and eq and so on for each mic. The output from the mixer is usually balanced if your amp only has one mic/xlr input.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 02-01-2018, 06:45 AM

K&M do this option though I think they do other, less intrusive models too.

https://www.thomann.de/se/km_258_klemmstativ.htm
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 02-01-2018, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunote View Post
or this :

A simple adjustment of the boom stand would have prevented JT from having to contort himself like that - also the stool is NOT guitarist friendly.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Yes, there are several add on booms that attach to your mic stand, and if you do elect to mic, use separate mics.. However, if you are running your own sound, I strongly advise against miking the guitar at all unless you will be playing for a quiet, attentive, supportive audience (and they are few and far between) in a situation that will not require high volume. It is less problematic if you have a competent sound guy running the PA.

Reading your question, I surmise you are not very experienced in public performance with your guitar and therefore advise you to play it safe and use your pickup equipped guitar. This does not exclude the possibility of feedback and other undesirable effects of sound reinforcement, but greatly reduces it.

I also advise you to learn all you can about the physics of feedback with acoustic guitar amplification and the methods used to suppress it. Keep in mind that this is exclusive of miking acoustic guitar for optimal tone, a separate consideration.

At this point in your playing career, don't mic it.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:12 AM

A separate mic and a separate stand seem to be the only option, I've never been able to find a stand that will clamp to another here in the U.S.A.

I prefer a mic'ed sound as opposed to plugging an acoustic into a modeler or such.

To each their own.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 02-01-2018, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
A simple adjustment of the boom stand would have prevented JT from having to contort himself like that - also the stool is NOT guitarist friendly.
I did not understand this at all. Someone set up that mic and stand, I think he's visible at the beginning of the clip. He should have come out during the performance to adjust the boom and end Taylor's suffering. I've been to high dollar, big production Broadway musicals where some guy wearing a headset ran out on stage in the middle of a number to correct a technical glitch and prevent a mess. And this was a mess.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:13 AM

if it doesn't have to be a boom . i use one of these.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...F-adType%5EPLA

This is some sort of political thing he doing with Kerry.
I would think that their sound crew was not pro and just used
to providing mics for a speech. A blunder just the same.
I walked into a venue once and the singer must have
forgot his mic stand. he had his mic taped to
a sheet music stand.. quite awkward.

Last edited by varmonter; 02-01-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:34 AM
Musical minimalist

This is what I've been using for many moons for a side boom...I like the adjustment that you can do quickly to get the mic closer if you have guitars that are different volume.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/On-Stage...nt-Boom-Arm.gc

Not sure what your mic budget is, but my current go to for miking acoustics is the Blue Hummingbird. If you are patient you can get one used for 150 ish - maybe a little less.

Other really good ones are Audix ADX-51, AKG C451 (more $$), AT4041 and in a large diaphragm, the AKG C214.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:22 AM

This is why I post my questions here... You guys/girls are a great help.

Those extensions, especially the boom one, are what I was searching for. I guess I just didn't use the right search terms. I'm considering all options, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
Reading your question, I surmise you are not very experienced in public performance with your guitar....
You are correct, sir.
I have a lot of experience performing on stage with a band, but that was mostly with keyboards, picking up my electric guitar on songs where it was the more a desirable choice. That was quite a few years ago.

Quote:
...and therefore advise you to play it safe and use your pickup equipped guitar. This does not exclude the possibility of feedback and other undesirable effects of sound reinforcement, but greatly reduces it.
Verily, that is my plan. As mentioned in my original post, this is all hypothetical. I'm a-gettin' myself schooled about things I may be interested in trying before I end up trying them.
If I decide to mic a guitar on stage, or if I have to mic a guitar on stage (I've already had a pickup fail in one of my guitars...luckily it happened while playing at home, on guitar that was supposed to be the back-up in case the pickup failed on my other guitar. ) I'd want to avoid the "James Taylor experience."
I always favor good preparation. I believe the audience favors it, too.

Quote:
I also advise you to learn all you can about the physics of feedback with acoustic guitar amplification and the methods used to suppress it...
I did that decades ago.

My questions haunting this forum recently have been directed to what I don't know and don't have experience in...Questions about performing solo in small venues with me and my guitar as opposed to my former experience performing in ensembles on keyboards (with some electric guitar) in larger, much more highly amplified venues.

I'm a total newbie at the solo guitar stuff. Admittedly, and clearly. No poser here.

There have been changes in equipment and technology since then, too.

In regard to another question... I have a Fishman Loudbox Artist, a Shure SM58, and a K&M collapsible boom stand.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
if it doesn't have to be a boom . i use one of these.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...F-adType%5EPLA

This is some sort of political thing he doing with Kerry.
I would think that their sound crew was not pro and just used
to providing mics for a speech. A blunder just the same.
I walked into a venue once and the singer must have
forgot his mic stand. he had his mic taped to
a sheet music stand.. quite awkward.

That is actually what I was trying to find a link to! Thanks for posting.

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 02-01-2018, 01:20 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunote View Post

LOL HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
Old 02-02-2018, 01:15 AM

Have you ever heard of a obscure performer named Joe Bonamasso? In acoustic settings he always mikes his acoustic separately from his vocal mike. If it works for him I would consider that as a full blown endorsement of two mikes.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 02-02-2018, 03:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
Have you ever heard of a obscure performer named Joe Bonamasso? In acoustic settings he always mikes his acoustic separately from his vocal mike. If it works for him I would consider that as a full blown endorsement of two mikes.
Set me up with Bonamassa's PA and sound guys and I'll mic my guitar also.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification