The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2018, 01:43 PM

My top 3 are:

1. Martin - Just the tone I want to hear for 90% of what I play

2. Gibson - I'm not giving them a craftsmanship award, but dang their guitars are fun and sound amazing!

3. Taylor - Gotta put them somewhere!
Old 06-25-2018, 04:28 PM

Default Electrics aside...

I'd say this:

Godin
Taylor
Martin

In no particular order, except alphabetical. These three seem to be successful, innovative, and near the top of their game.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 06-25-2018, 05:53 PM

Default What are your top 3 "factory" made guitar brands

In no particular order:
  • Godin: another vote for the company that arguably raised the bar for low-priced guitars, in terms of innovative construction, tone, playability, and consistent QC;
  • Taylor: pioneers of the "modern acoustic" sound, high-tech production methods, and the idea that playing an acoustic guitar need not be an exercise in physical endurance ("the playability of a fine electric"), Bob T. put the industry on notice and for many players changed forever the notion of what an acoustic guitar could (and should) be;
  • Gretsch MIJ/MIK electrics: fair game IMO since many AGF'ers have a foot in both camps, the instruments coming out of the Japanese and Korean plants are among their finest ever (I own examples of each, and I've been playing the Brooklyn originals since 1963); the "big name" USA makers could take a lesson here in the fit/finish and attention-to-detail departments (in 55 years I've only encountered three instruments that needed no setup work whatsoever - my two late-model Gretsches and a Godin CW II), and if you're an acoustic player looking to cross over to the "dark side" I can't think of a better way to go...
Old 06-25-2018, 06:17 PM

1. Collings. They make almost 3000 instruments a year. That's not boutique (except in quality). I consider Waterloo a type of Collings or else they would also make my list.
2. Furch. Incredible quality for the money.
3. Martin - but mostly because of the Authentic line, which is essentially an in-house boutique brand. And the real vintage ones, of course.

All of the factory builders - most of them, anyway - make good, playable guitars, and occasionally make a really fine one. I don't think there are any wrong answers here.

Last edited by SJ VanSandt; 06-26-2018 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:32 PM

Martin
Taylor
Gibson
'17 Martin D-28
'18 Martin D-18
'21 Yamaha FS830
Old 06-25-2018, 09:42 PM

As someone with rather limited funds, I'll create my list around a budget-conscious approach:

1. Larrivee -- I'm going on 5 months with my OM40 and feel as if I'm still in the honeymoon phase. The sound, the feel, the look -- this guitar continues to inspire awe every time I pick it up. It's simply sublime. At the risk (more like sure-thing) of sounding corny, I'll say that Shelly's "Mont Blanc" could have been written about this guitar. I feel as if Larrivee is offering the kind of product that necessitates spending substantially more if you were to go to with another manufacturer. Choice woods, North American made, impeccable fit, finish, and tone -- what's not to like?

2. Yamaha -- As many here with attest, Yamaha provides a whole lot of guitar for not a lot of money. I count myself lucky to say that my first guitar was an FG800 -- a far cry from the quality of the entry level offerings of yesteryear. While the higher-end Yammies are undoubtedly fine guitars, I feel that it's the lower-end models that truly stand out from their competitors.

3. Eastman -- Unfortunately, I have yet to own an Eastman, but after playing a couple, I'm thoroughly convinced that the hype surrounding the brand is well earned, and anyone lucky enough to own an Eastman guitar is getting a great instrument at a reasonable price.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC View Post
As someone with rather limited funds, I'll create my list around a budget-conscious approach:

1. Larrivee -- I'm going on 5 months with my OM40 and feel as if I'm still in the honeymoon phase. The sound, the feel, the look -- this guitar continues to inspire awe every time I pick it up. It's simply sublime. At the risk (more like sure-thing) of sounding corny, I'll say that Shelly's "Mont Blanc" could have been written about this guitar. I feel as if Larrivee is offering the kind of product that necessitates spending substantially more if you were to go to with another manufacturer. Choice woods, North American made, impeccable fit, finish, and tone -- what's not to like?

2. Yamaha -- As many here with attest, Yamaha provides a whole lot of guitar for not a lot of money. I count myself lucky to say that my first guitar was an FG800 -- a far cry from the quality of the entry level offerings of yesteryear. While the higher-end Yammies are undoubtedly fine guitars, I feel that it's the lower-end models that truly stand out from their competitors.

3. Eastman -- Unfortunately, I have yet to own an Eastman, but after playing a couple, I'm thoroughly convinced that the hype surrounding the brand is well earned, and anyone lucky enough to own an Eastman guitar is getting a great instrument at a reasonable price.
These are all great choices. BTW, a lot of folks have seen this, but this is me playing my Eastman on Michael Smith's "The Dutchman."

Old 06-25-2018, 10:32 PM

Collings makes about 3000 instruments a year, of which around 1600 are guitars.
That makes them boutique IMHO.

Rainsong makes somewhere between 1000 and 2000 a year. Puts them in the same general category as far as production numbers.

SCGC makes 500-700 a year, so does Froggy Bottom. That seems pretty exclusive.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 06-26-2018, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89bruin View Post
1. Larrivée - Somehow they’re just perfect for me ...
2. Martin - Still love the sound despite some recent QC concerns
3. Guild
Martin, QC concerns? What it is your resource on this?
Old 06-26-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Collings makes about 3000 instruments a year, of which around 1600 are guitars.
That makes them boutique IMHO.

Rainsong makes somewhere between 1000 and 2000 a year. Puts them in the same general category as far as production numbers.

SCGC makes 500-700 a year, so does Froggy Bottom. That seems pretty exclusive.
I looked up "boutique" and couldn't find any mention of production numbers as part of the definition. "A business that serves a sophisticated or specialized clientele" is the google definition - not much help there. In the AGF world, "boutique" seems to most often equate to expensive and hand-made, but one can spend as much money on a Martin as on a Froggy Bottom, and the Martin Authentics are made in small shop conditions, probably just as hand-made as Froggies. Collings guitars are made on a production line and most of the employees are only trained in one task and couldn't build an entire guitar on their own. A small factory maybe, but a factory none the less. I think they have a place in this discussion because, honestly, I think they build a better guitar than Gibson or Taylor, for a similar price and using the same production methods.

My own humble opinion, of course, but wouldn't this be a boring thread (as so many are) if it were simply: what's your preferred order, Martin/Taylor/Gibson or Gibson/Martin/Taylor or etc.?
Old 06-26-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildman View Post
Martin, QC concerns? What it is your resource on this?
My own experience with a 000X1ae. There have also been some recent issues with binding according to another forum. Again, we’re dealing in opinion here ... I like Martin but my 000X purchase and subsequent experience with Martin’s customer “service” makes second place on my list a testimony to how much I like the sound.

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-26-2018 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Edited

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion