The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-31-2021, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Default NDG Eastman AC622CE

I saw a release of the updated AC series I believe from Winter NAMM 2020. Eastman changed the soundboard (Engelmann to European Spruce) and added a sound port and arm bevel. I think there were some other minor tweaks. The AC622CE is the maple B/S version of the updated models. It definitely caught my eye and over the last 18 months or so I have read and listened to just about every post on this model. I contacted Ted at LA Guitar Sales several months ago (>4) and he said he did not know when he would get another. A couple of weeks ago as luck would have it, he got one in and I bought it. As always Ted and Helene were a pleasure.

First Impressions
1) It is a lot lighter than I expected. It is probably 75% the weight of my E40OM. Part of this is probably due to the different woods, but I did notice that the braces - especially the back - are much lighter than the E40OM. They are probably 1/2 the height and about 2/3 the width. I think the other contributing factor is the finish.
2) I have confirmed via Eastman that the finish is the new Truetone finish. It is noticeably thinner than the E40OM's finish. Only time will tell if it does the job, but there is nothing indicating that it won't. Also the interior is not sealed like the E40.
3) Aesthetics - the guitar presents itself exceptionally. The silver leaf inlays on the neck and headstock match the rosette. The blue/green "branches" sets off the silver leaves. The maple arm bevel matches the back and sides. Unstained maple trim on all edges continues on to the bound neck. The minor issue is that there is a little bit of stain overspray on two areas of the inside of the guitar. It is not noticeable unless you look for it. Over-all it is very well executed.
4) Playability - the set up was just about spot on and only required a little tweak of the truss rod. The neck is a touch thinner than my E40 or E6. The nut is right on at 1.75" but the spacing is a little narrow. If I wanted to, I could have a new one cut with wider spacing as there is room on the fretboard. The arm bevel is a nice touch as it makes the guitar very comfortable on my right arm. The sound port definitely increase the volume to the player.
5) Pick-up - it works. I rarely need to plug in. It is nice to have and the Baggs Element seems to replicate the acoustic sound of the guitar.
6) Tone - I was a little concerned about the "brightness" of maple, but those concerns were unfounded. The bass is good and present. At times the highs seem almost glass like - very clear and direct. It definitely doesn't have the overtones of the E40OM or the balance of the E6D-TC. The notes just seems to present themselves and then get out of the way.
7) Tuners - This is the first set of sealed tuners I have ever had on a guitar. They are smooth as silk. I am very impressed
8) Guard - I took off the stock one and put on a clear for now. (pics with both below) I might get something from Taylor Mullins but I haven't decided. I would welcome comments as to how it looks without a guard.
Conclusion
I really like it. Do I love it? Maybe not yet but it has distinct possibilities. It lets me play with some options - a 000 with red spruce (Adirondack) over rosewood, a dreadnaught with torrefied Alpine spruce over mahogany (Khaya) and now a European spruce (probably picea abies) over flamed maple. Here are some pics. Due to lighting the top looks creamier in some of the pictures. A true representation is the third picture - the one with the guard on.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:17 PM

That is some beautiful maple patterns on B&S and the neck, like a firestripe
Old 07-31-2021, 11:23 PM

Wow, that is really a beautiful guitar. Cutaway, arm bevel, sound port - yup that's all there.
Clean, understated appearance, nothing gaudy or showy, just simple elegance.
I'd really love to hear it.

I think you have a winner there, for me that would be a lifer and source of pride (until I actually started "playing" it)

I'm really impressed by the light weight and play-ability you describe.
I am equally glad for your good fortune and a bit jealous.
Big congrats!

Personally, I vote for the clear guard.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:51 AM

Pretty amazing looking guitar. From what you say, it plays as good as it looks. Congratulations!
Old 08-01-2021, 06:31 AM

Congratulations! It’s a beautiful looking guitar. I like the look better with the clear pick guard. I’m not sure how I feel about a side sound port. I don’t like the look so much, but maybe it’s worth it to have the sound directed at you. I’ve yet to play a guitar with one. Is that the overspray you mentioned in the photo looking into the side sound hole? Hard to tell. Anyways, Beautful guitar you have there.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:17 AM

That is a beautiful Maple back and sides. I hope you do end up loving it.
I have an AC-822 that is my absolute favorite guitar.
I'd been thinking about picking up the Mahogany version 522 but but your 622 gives me pause. I'd love to hear it if you can post a clip.
Congrats on a beautiful guitar, enjoy.

Last edited by Fret-O'File; 08-01-2021 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fret-O'File View Post
That is a beautiful Maple back. I hope you do end up loving it.
I have an AC-822 that is my absolute favorite guitar.
I'd been thinking about picking up the Mahogany version 522 but but your 622 gives me pause. I'd love to hear it if you can post a clip.
Congrats on a beautiful guitar, enjoy.
Thanks everyone for their comments.

Fret-O'File - you don't want to hear me as I can't do the guitar justice. Here is the clip that convinced me to buy it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi6onpXq21U&t=4s

There are a few others out there as well.
Old 08-01-2021, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Stunning guitar, Tom. That's got to be my favorite combination of the new AC models. Great review and photos, as always. Congrats again!
Old 08-01-2021, 03:01 PM

What a great looking guitar and from some of the demos it sounds as good as it looks! How do you like having a sound port and what difference can you tell from it?
Old 08-01-2021, 03:45 PM

What do you think of the arm bevel? None/a little/a lot more comfortable?
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 08-01-2021, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

I’m liking the inlays. Nice! Enjoy.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 08-01-2021, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Sound port - nice addition but I am not sure if it is necessary. Definitely a difference to the player. Maybe it is a good feature as the player gets a better feel for the tone of the guitar. I guess I am ambivalent on the sound port.
Arm bevel - very comfortable and I really like it. A+ Feature

Again - thank you all for your comments
Old 01-01-2023, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

How’s the guitar coming along? Thinking about getting one!
Old 01-02-2023, 12:41 AM
Charter Member

I kept the guitar for about 6-9 months. It was a fantastic guitar for someone who likes a GA body size and maple. I never got past the brighter tone of maple. Maybe a little more patience would have done me well. I am currently on a more slope/round shoulder mahogany search. Over-all it compares extremely well to other similar size guitars withe maple back.
Old 01-02-2023, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcstokes59 View Post
I kept the guitar for about 6-9 months. It was a fantastic guitar for someone who likes a GA body size and maple. I never got past the brighter tone of maple. Maybe a little more patience would have done me well. I am currently on a more slope/round shoulder mahogany search. Over-all it compares extremely well to other similar size guitars withe maple back.
I can understand that. I have my Taylor 517e up for sell/trade, but am also leaning towards other slope shoulders. I'm so used to played dreads most of my life, but need something a little more comfortable due to back issues.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion