The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-31-2021, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Eastman E8D-TC (Swiss Alpine)

A couple months ago, I picked up an E6D-TC, which was made with a Swiss Alpine Spruce top, rather than the normal Sitka Spruce top. I've heard different stories about these guitars --- originally only 30 made, possibly due to Sitka shortages from wood suppliers, possibly Dana Bourgeois suggesting Eastman try making guitars with Alpine Spruce. Whatever the reason, my TC is outstanding, so I decided to look for its Rosewood sibling (which seem to be much more difficult to find).

The search was interesting, but I ended up finding one at Sky Guitars in TX (whom I recognized from other forum members' positive reviews). I'm not sure if Erik is a one-person operation or just very busy, but our calls got interrupted a couple of times. But on the third call, he asked about my playing style and said he would set the guitar up and ship same day. My initial apprehension faded to satisfaction, when I saw the shipping notification that night.

The package delivered on Thursday. UPS left the "signature required" box leaning on a pillar next to my front door, so thankfully, I was home and expecting the delivery. The guitar was double-boxed with the original Eastman box inside and the "made for guitar" bubble on each case end. Inside the case, the guitar was shipped with a Boveda humidity pack and holder.

The E8D-TC is built extremely well. The top has even color and grain with just the slightest inward curve at the lower bout, and plenty of silky cross-grain. The body is a darker stain Rosewood, which looks fantastic, and the Ebony board and bridge are jet black. Peaking inside, the bracing is as clean as the fit and finish on the outside. Eastman has also improved their pickguards, which are no longer a mandatory replacement (although I'll probably swap them out for Holter Pickguards).

The setup is absolutely perfect, so kudos to Erik at Sky Guitars for doing such a great job, especially on such short notice to ship same day. The neck is very full, and I can feel its weight in my hand. It's very comfortable to hold and play, and although I haven't measured it, the nut and string spacing seem spot-on.

The first thing I did was change the strings, replacing the stock D'Add EXP/XT strings with my go-to GHS PB lights. Obviously, the guitar is a little bright with the new strings, but I can tell that it's going to be a monster. The tone is dry (thanks to the TC) and incredibly clear, all the way up and down the board. Really nice low end, shimmering highs, but even the mids aren't buried, which is typical of the Eastman sound. Wonderful overtones and sustain. I don't know if there's any truth in Moon Spruce, but after owning two guitars with them, they're a fabulous choice.

I've been playing it alongside my other Eastman dreads, not to "rank" it, but rather to compare what I'm hearing vs. the other guitars. It has more headroom than my E8D with a gentler warmth that I actually prefer to Sitka, but it's not as complex as my E40D. It also compares very well to its sibling, E6D-TC (Alpine), although there are obvious differences between the sound coloring between Mahogany and Rosewood.

Finally, there's been talk about Eastman switching from Nitro to Trutone. I have an email to Eastman, hoping to clarify which is on these two new guitars. I tend to focus more on what I'm hearing than what I'm seeing, and if it's Trutone, I can't really tell the difference, so maybe it's still Nitro.

I am super excited to have this pair. The E6D-TC (Alpine) has already become one of my favorites to play and likely my favorite Mahogany dread I've owned. So, I'm hopeful that this E8D-TC (Alpine) will find a similar place, albeit in a more competitive field (since I have more Rosewood guitars).

Obligatory NGD photos below.

Old 07-31-2021, 05:37 PM

I think Eastman gets overlooked lots of hype about Epiphone Inspired by Gibson line( admit I'm looking to try one). Cheap Taylor American Disaster models(have one in my junk pile for parts). I have 2 Eastmans 1 is 6 weeks old the other 5 years old. Both builds are excellent ,quality wood, good tuners, brace work clean, setups are good, components good(saddle,nut bridge pins). Price is more than competitive and they sound good . My only regret is they are made overseas. Those are 2 fine acoustic guitars I have looked at both and like both probably see a mahogany one in the very near future......I see you have a few nice acoustics...
Old 07-31-2021, 05:40 PM

Beautiful Guitars!
#2 Pencil
Various Scraps of Paper
Old 07-31-2021, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Very nice...enjoy!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-31-2021, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Wow, that is a great looking guitar! Congratulations!

And how cool to have both mahogany and rosewood versions of this guitar!

- Glenn
Old 07-31-2021, 09:03 PM

Nice guitar! What does Trutone finish mean, how does it differ from Nitro? Is it a poly like finish?
Old 07-31-2021, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Default Truetone finish and fantastic looking guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickitPaul View Post
Nice guitar! What does Trutone finish mean, how does it differ from Nitro? Is it a poly like finish?
First off - great guitar PV. I have the mahogany version and it is a stellar dread. Also - I really like that back.

Regarding the Truetone finish - below is a statement that Eastman put out recently. There seems to be some ambiguity as to the exact date of the change over, but I was informed by Eastman that the AC622CE I recently purchased has the newer finish.

"At Eastman we are tirelessly looking for new and better ways to handcraft the best guitars and mandolins in the world. In this pursuit, no detail is too small and no idea is too big.
It is with this mission in mind that we are excited to share with you the creation of a superior and environmentally friendly finish called Truetone. Just as thin and great sounding as our previous nitrocellulose finish, this new topcoat offers maximum protection for the fretted instrument while consciously minimizing the footprint it leaves on our planet.
The most difficult challenge we faced when developing this new finish was finding the delicate balance between hardness and flexibility that didn't compromise the resonance or signature tone that makes an Eastman. By implementing a two part modified urethane topcoat we emerged with Truetone - a finish that never sacrifices the sound of tradition.
Effective immediately, we now offer Truetone on all Eastman gloss and satin finished acoustics, electrics, and mandolins, completing our new lineup of signature finishes:
Truetone Satin
Truetone Vintage Gloss
Truetone Gloss
Antique Varnish"
Old 07-31-2021, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, all! I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment.

Cibby, Eastman has gotten a lot more notice over the last few years, as they've stepped up their game with more consistency, especially as their electric guitars have taken off. The overseas part doesn't bother me in the least, and their team in Pomona, CA is great.

Glenn, I'm very fortunate to have both guitars. They're both great looking and my first ownership of torrified tops (although I've played a few in stores). And being a Stephen Stills fan, you'll appreciate that I've always wanted an Alpine/Euro top, since hearing that Neil Young's D-45 was made with German Spruce. I think it was gifted to him from SS.

pickitPaul, see Tom's reply above. Eastman recently announced that it's moving away from Nitro on all of their guitars and replacing with Truetone, which seems to be a water based urethane finish, which is supposedly the same formula that Dana Bourgeois has been using on his guitars for years.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:43 PM

Very nice! I always enjoy seeing and hearing about your new Eastman acquisitions. Nice eye candy photos as usual!

Old 07-31-2021, 10:55 PM

Default What does “TC” in the model nomenclature mean?

Pura Vida -

What does the “TC” in the model name stand for? How does it affect the sound?

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-31-2021, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitar. Congrats! Enjoy. I know there's a lot of overlap between the tone the major Spruces deliver, making generalities imperfect; but over the years I've continued to gravitate towards Picea abies in situations where I did not know in advance the variety of Spruce on the guitar I was "enjoying" at the time.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:30 AM
Charter Member

It's beautiful, Brian. I very much appreciate the review and pictures. The Concept Shop never fails to impress.

Wade: TC = Thermo Cured (torrefied)
Old 08-01-2021, 12:47 AM

Gorgeous brace of guitars there!
Old 08-01-2021, 06:02 AM

Very nice!
Old 08-01-2021, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful add to the collection PV!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion