The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-18-2014, 10:14 AM

Default Answers to Questions

This string has given me lots of answers - and continues to - thank you! My fledgling education in archtops continues...

A few questions that have been posed as well. Here goes: My budget is flexible because if I fall in love with a guitar, I'm willing to sell one of my others to finance it.

However, because I've just started playing American Songbook pieces and I don't know how much I'll use an archtop as my musical journey continues, I would like to keep my initial purchase in the $1000 or less range if possible.

I'm very interested in used instruments, and have no problem with seeing wear on a guitar. Just indicates it was not only admired, but PLAYED. And that's what they're made for.

Hey kayakman, PLEASE go play that Epiphone on Staten Island. We want a full report!!
2019 Taylor 522ce V-Class 12-Fret - All Mahogany
2021 Rainsong V-OM 1000-NSX - Spruce/Carbon Fiber
2008 Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue (Natural)
Old 08-18-2014, 10:18 AM

1k or less...okay. so you don't have many choices.

I think your next step is to listen to some Eastman, Yunzhi, and The Loar clips and make notes on tone...then come back with your likes/dislikes...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 08-18-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post
I'm like you then. Check out my YouTube channel here.
Subscribed! Nice playing, Archtop Guy. And the tone you coax out of that Trenier on "The Days of Wine and Roses" is EXACTLY what I hear in my head when I imagine my future archtop. Sweet.

I'm not averse to spending several thousand dollars on a truly fine guitar (see my signature block), but at this point, I'm going to narrow my search to an archtop that sounds as close to your Trenier as possible at a reasonable price. Must be short scale (25" or less) with a 1-3/4" nut.
2019 Taylor 522ce V-Class 12-Fret - All Mahogany
2021 Rainsong V-OM 1000-NSX - Spruce/Carbon Fiber
2008 Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue (Natural)
Old 08-18-2014, 01:41 PM

Based on your budget and preferences, I doubt you can do better than Eastman in your search (I mean that in a good way). I've owned three Eastman archtops and they were all fantastic. The models I'd be looking for are:

AR605: 16" (spruce/mahogany)
AR610: 17" (spruce/mahogany)
AR805: 16" (spruce/maple)
AR810: 17" (spruce/maple)
AR905: 16" custom shop (top shelf model) (spruce/maple)
AR910: 17" custom shop (top shelf model) (spruce/maple)

I doubt you'll find a 9 series in your range, but if you do, snap it up! I've heard great things about Yunzhis too, but they're far more rare here in the states. Hard to go wrong with an Eastman. Figure out which one you want, find one in your range, play and enjoy!
Old 08-18-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakman View Post
Hey backdrifter! That Epiphone is right here where I live on Staten Island,I was thinking about giving the guy a call a playing it....Brian....It`s a good price for that Epi....
You should definitely do so! That's a beast of an instrument, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!
Old 08-18-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary-N-LA View Post
Subscribed! Nice playing, Archtop Guy. And the tone you coax out of that Trenier on "The Days of Wine and Roses" is EXACTLY what I hear in my head when I imagine my future archtop. Sweet.

I'm not averse to spending several thousand dollars on a truly fine guitar (see my signature block), but at this point, I'm going to narrow my search to an archtop that sounds as close to your Trenier as possible at a reasonable price. Must be short scale (25" or less) with a 1-3/4" nut.
Thanks for the props!

You'll be able to get really close to my tone with a good Eastman. Key features will be all solid wood, carved top and back, floating PU. And good strings. Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 08-19-2014, 10:21 AM

Another vote for Eastman. I recently bought an AR810 acoustic (no cutaway, no factory electronics, no pick guard/finger rest, 17"). It has a very large acoustic sound even with the TI flat wound strings I am using (with bronze strings it is louder than my Larriveé L body). I added an Armstrong hand wound floating pickup after the sale. This guitar has a street price of around $1800 and has a solid carved spruce top, solid carved maple back, and solid sides - my experience is that you are more likely to get a first rate acoustic tone with solid woods. My dealer also has an acoustic AR605 (same basic idea - except 16" solid mahogany instead of maple - carved spruce top) which has a street price of either $1300 or so. I think you get a better acoustic sound with the 17" body - but the 605 held its own nicely.

Ken
Old 11-30-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
1k or less...okay. so you don't have many choices.

I think your next step is to listen to some Eastman, Yunzhi, and The Loar clips and make notes on tone...then come back with your likes/dislikes...
If the budget were to be about $15,000, can you recommend a purely acoustic, room-filling archtop?

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkfan View Post
If the budget were to be about $15,000, can you recommend a purely acoustic, room-filling archtop?
If you're talking new guitars, hands-down/no-contest:

http://www.triggsguitars.com/index.s...archtops/c14x8

Any of the Stromberg models (first two in the top row, last one in the second row) would fill the bill - and the room, regardless of size. For the same money you could also have some of the best factory-production (Gibson, Epiphone, and to a lesser extent Gretsch) Big Band-era jazzboxes in excellent or better condition, or a lower-end and/or player-grade vintage D'Angelico or Stromberg; the good news here is that you'll know exactly what you're getting from day one - all the "break-in" work has been long since done, and with 60-80 years of aging on them they'll be about as structurally and tonally stable as they're going to get...
Old 12-01-2014, 08:37 PM

Mine will - even with .10's. Note the unusual short, fat F-holes.

Note how deep it is - I'm guessing 4 1/2" - 5". The sides are 4".
So the front and back arches probably add another 1/2 inch each.

Size comparison with two flat-tops.

Definitely the loudest arch-top I've ever played or heard. Carved Spruce top. Mahogany back & sides. No lam.
I string it with .10's. Hand-made. You won't find one like it. Unplugged, it fills up a room and it cost me a lot less than $15K

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Last edited by louparte; 12-01-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:25 PM

The Triggs Stromberg clones are gorgeous. Unfortunately, from what I've read, they don't utilize the single transverse bar bracing that the true Strombergs did.

I agree with the Stromberg idea though. For your $15k budget you could buy a true Stromberg, such as this one:

http://guitars.com/inventory/ar4307-...-stromberg-g-2

If you'd rather something newer, AJL makes the most gorgeous (and apparently accurate) Stromberg copies I've seen:

http://www.ajl-guitars.com/ajlguitar...8#.VH0wD2K9KSM

For my money, if I had your budget right now, I would go for this:

http://www.myjazzhome.com/08_Collings_AT17v.shtml

I've owned a Collings AT16 and it had no problems giving up the volume when needed. That AT17 non cut is one of the most gorgeous guitars I've seen and I'd bet it sounds amazing.

This would be in the running too, though!

http://inlowguitars.com/archtop-acou...co-excel-1941/

Good luck in your search and post pictures of whatever you go with!

Last edited by backdrifter; 12-01-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkfan View Post

Thanks!
Vintage Epiphone Emperor.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 12-01-2014, 10:23 PM

this will fill a room and it's only a mandolin!

Old 12-01-2014, 11:39 PM

Thanks for all the helpful information. Looks like I've got some homework to do.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
this will fill a room and it's only a mandolin!

Definitely will fill a room. I'll bet it won't even fit in some rooms.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Tags
acoustic, amplification, archtop