The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-19-2009, 03:52 PM

Default DR zebra review

So I went to my local GC to get some strings, and they must have recently stocked DR zebra strings. I went in awhile back and initially they had absolutely no idea what I was talking about....zebra strings? Well they had it so I picked up a set and threw them on my T5 (or T6 as I like to call it) anyways...I had elixir light electric strings on there before, cause when I had acoustic strings on, it sounded absolutely terrible coming out of my electric rig. So I just ran electric strings cause electric strings didn't sound bad, not good, just not bad acoustically. Acoustic strings sounded absolutely horrible through the electric side, but sounded very nice acoustically. So I ran the lesser of two evils. Decent acoustic and good electric (well as good as a T5 can sound electrically)

Introduce DR zebra's. Upgraded my acoustic from decent to very good. By no means will it stand side by side with an actually acoustic, but these strings sounded very nice in both applications. GC only had .12-.54 zebra's (about the same gauges as elixir lights) which I wasn't too thrilled about. I like my strings at .10-.43 for playing my electric, but this really is the best of both worlds. If you own a T5 you own it to yourself to try out these zebra's ESPECIALLY if you have a modded T5 with an UST pickup.

I think when the occasion calls me to play more electric style where I do more bends and stuff I think I'll just de-tune a half to whole step to get that softer electric string feel.

Well go get em their nice strings....just hope down the line someone if not DR will come out with coated hybrid strings. We'll see how long these strings last.

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48

Last edited by makikogi; 02-19-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:08 PM

How long will they last? In my case the answer is "not very". Because I mostly use a Sunrise, I was pretty excited when I first heard about Zebras. Finally found a set, slapped 'em on, readjusted the pole pieces on the Sunrise and thought they sounded great, both plugged and unplugged. That lasted for about a day, then they went dead. And I mean as a hammer. I'll be interested in what some of the other folks expierenced.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Byrom View Post
How long will they last? In my case the answer is "not very". Because I mostly use a Sunrise, I was pretty excited when I first heard about Zebras. Finally found a set, slapped 'em on, readjusted the pole pieces on the Sunrise and thought they sounded great, both plugged and unplugged. That lasted for about a day, then they went dead. And I mean as a hammer. I'll be interested in what some of the other folks expierenced.
since I have a resonator with a magnetic pickup I run into the Zebra strings while looking for some new brand/model to restring it with on the net, basically cause i'm tired of regular D'addario that wear out by themselves even if you don't touch them, but it must be very annoying to find out that these zebras last as short as d'addarios considering that they're more expensive than Elixirs....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification