The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-18-2018, 11:20 AM

Default "Where I Want to Go", electric-acoustic rock blend

https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/where-i-want-to-go

this is a new tune, off of my new album "Trouble"

it's probably one of my most straight forward arrangements,
pretty basic rock compared to my other stuff, which is more progressive.

hope you like it.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:48 PM

hello....
is there anybody in there?
just nod if you can hear me
Old 05-21-2018, 08:22 AM

this one must have cooties......
Old 05-22-2018, 03:04 PM

definitely the cooties.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:38 AM

Because I spend a lot of time writing, recording, and mixing music at whatever level I can accomplish, I don't have time to listen regularly to the Show and Tell posts here. I do get a sense that the expectation here is to respond only with positive comments, so when I link to something I've done here and get no responses, I assume it's likely not to the listeners' here taste, but it could also just be lack of time to listen, or because I haven't given the potential listener here a reason to listen.

From general musical listening threads here I do get the idea that a fair number AGF members do listen to electric band music, but I also get the idea that fewer record and play it presently. Could this be why few bothered to listen or comment?

So on to your track. To my mind your track sounds like a polished production--even by some modern alternative standards, too polished--but this is a matter of taste--and tastes, like styles in vogue, change. Songwriting and arrangement-wise you have the benefit and the curse of sounding like past professional bands. I don't mean that a general knock, because nearly every musician wants to sound like someone else. For example, when the cut does things like the build from acoustic strums to the nice wah electric solo at just before 1:40, it both works and sounds familiar.

So I'm impressed with your absorption of some arrangement methods and the polished production, but personally not excited to hear those methods again right now. Please, please don't take that as in any way definitive! My tastes are far from predictive of general success, I like weird or unusual stuff and highly value musicians who surprise me, which is not a route I can recommend for career success.

As to the general idea of combining acoustic guitar or instruments with electric bands, oh yes! Please continue to do that.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-23-2018, 02:39 PM

Ditto What FrankHudson said.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:42 AM

hey frank,
thanks for listening and commenting.

i don't know about what's in vogue..
i just mix songs the way i want to hear them, i have never felt this mix was overproduced.
it's pretty straight up.

in fact, if you have listened to any of the previous 8 songs off the new album i've posted,
you'll hear that they are all over the place arrangment wise..
as i said at the top of the post, this song is probably my most 'accessible' song,
which i guess means closer to mainstream?

i don't know, like i said, i don't really pay attention to mainstream, and don't really follow any kind of method.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell