The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-27-2018, 06:49 AM

Default Humbucker in acoustic, feedback prone?

I’m contemplating adding “A touch of thunder” pickup into an acoustic.

It’s basically a traditional humbucker with some extras (but that’s not the point).

So I hear acoustic players always praise soundhole mag pickups for their feedback resistance. On the flip side in the electric community there’s talk of humbuckers being feedback prone in hollow bodies or when someone suggest mounting into an acoustic the common response is that it will be a feedback nightmare.

So would the “A touch of thunder” pickup be feedback prone when placed in an acoustic guitar?

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:04 AM

Generally, too much bass is a problem with amplified acoustic guitars, so I'd be leery of a pickup that added extra bass.
It is the resonate body that causes the problem, not the pickup per se, whether it's a flat top or an arch top guitar.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:11 AM

I'm not familiar with the thought that humbuckers are more feedback prone, but I would suspect that would vary more between different models of pickups than between single-coil or humbucker.

Acoustic guitars are a different story, I would think a sound hole magnetic pickup, regardless of style would be among the most feedback resistant.

Keep in mind you aren't usually running your acoustic guitar through a cranked tube amp with a bunch of pedals. In a situation where a soundhole pickup won't get you loud enough, I suspect there's a problem somewhere else in the equation.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification