The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-25-2018, 07:27 PM

Default The same pickup in different guitars? Or different pickups for variety?

I just got a Collings OM1A, and it has a LR Baggs iMix system in it (element and ibeam). It’s not bad, but not my favorite.

I absolutely love the trance amulet M that I recently put in a Gibson, so my first thought was to put that same pickup in the Collings. A friend of mine has the Baggs anthem in his guitar and I like that too, so I could put that in to have greater variety or stick with the amulet.

If you have multiple guitars that are different body styles or that just sound different unplugged, do you put the same pickup in them for consistency when plugging in, or do you put different pickups to have variety plugged in just like variety unplugged?
Old 04-25-2018, 07:57 PM

I have opposing views on using different pickups with both having pros and cons.

I like having at least one or two of my guitars with a pickup that's open mic friendly whilst all the others are compatible with my sound system.

On the flip side, I like having the same pickup or at least the same type, it makes eq'ing and gain staging easier when switching between guitars.

I prefer factory pickups in my cutaways and pickups of my own choice in full bodied guitars.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 04-26-2018, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

The Trance Amulet M should work just fine in your Collings. My experience with Trance is, however, only in several dreadnoughts in which I've installed the systems, namely two Martin D-18 models, a Martin HD-28, and a Larrivee D-40 Legacy Rosewood and Larrivee D-04 (newer model).
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 04-26-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

I use swappable soundhole pickups for variety. The Black Angel is my go to
pickup, but I can pop in an M80 (or other Baggs) if I want to have percussive
options or want to use an active pickup. They both connect via an 1/8"
mini-jack.

Goodall MdRSC/Adirondack yr2018 + Sunrise
Goodall RSC/Sitka yr2001 + Sunrise
Goodall HRGCC/Italian yr2004 + Sunrise
Martin D-10E Sitka/Sapele MX-T
Bose L1 mod2, Pro8, S1 Pro, QSC K8.2, CP8
Old 04-26-2018, 09:19 AM

For playing live (the main reason for me to have a pickup), I'm looking for consistency between guitars. They each have a different sound, and so I'd rather not confound things by introducing more variables.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 04-26-2018, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmarkson View Post
I just got a Collings OM1A, and it has a LR Baggs iMix system in it (element and ibeam). It’s not bad, but not my favorite.

I absolutely love the trance amulet M that I recently put in a Gibson, so my first thought was to put that same pickup in the Collings. A friend of mine has the Baggs anthem in his guitar and I like that too, so I could put that in to have greater variety or stick with the amulet.

If you have multiple guitars that are different body styles or that just sound different unplugged, do you put the same pickup in them for consistency when plugging in, or do you put different pickups to have variety plugged in just like variety unplugged?
Hi aaron…

My dual-source rigs all have a pickup and a mic (passive internally), so I use external preamps, so for my usage having identical installations brings a more uniform approach.

I'm not looking for variety to come from technology, just solid and natural guitar sound through the amp/pa/monitors. I find that the K&K Pure Mini and internal mic, run through an external preamp provide a solid and very hearty sound. Yet each guitar's uniqueness is evident in the output. By using all the same components, the adjustments when switching guitars in/out of the preamp only requires minor changes.

The K&K doesn't sterilize the sound. The guitars DO NOT all sound alike despite having the same pickup installed. The attack, sustain, and balance of the strings are replicated well, and the addition of the internal mic establishes/reflects the uniqueness of each instrument even more.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification