The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-08-2018, 09:26 AM

Default Approachable instrumentals and the obvious.

I'm looking for approachable instrumentals that might not be so obvious. I'm not a singer so often get asked to play things people will recognize. I'm also always looking for things friendly for a jam that are outside of some acoustic old time songs I know.

By the obvious I mean I love noodling with chord progressions and a few times have realized nice songs were in front of my face.

Stand By Me and People Get Ready as examples.

Stand By Me, or what I play is (I-vi-IV-V) C Am F G, G Em C D7, C Am F G, A F#m D E, D Bm G A etc.... Acoustic or electric will at times determine where or how. I'll find myself playing from C open on acoustic and D barre chord if electric.

Then there was that doh, moment of realizing People Get Ready popular recording is a black key version of much the same.

So, are there some popular or recognizable songs staring me in the face like these? Fun stuff that's also a step or two outside of I, IV, V jail?

Thanks for any inspiration and ideas. I can waste time here instead of YouTube or both!

Old 02-09-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I'm looking for approachable instrumentals that might not be so obvious. I'm not a singer so often get asked to play things people will recognize. I'm also always looking for things friendly for a jam that are outside of some acoustic old time songs I know.

By the obvious I mean I love noodling with chord progressions and a few times have realized nice songs were in front of my face.

Stand By Me and People Get Ready as examples.

Stand By Me, or what I play is (I-vi-IV-V) C Am F G, G Em C D7, C Am F G, A F#m D E, D Bm G A etc.... Acoustic or electric will at times determine where or how. I'll find myself playing from C open on acoustic and D barre chord if electric.

Then there was that doh, moment of realizing People Get Ready popular recording is a black key version of much the same.

So, are there some popular or recognizable songs staring me in the face like these? Fun stuff that's also a step or two outside of I, IV, V jail?

Thanks for any inspiration and ideas. I can waste time here instead of YouTube or both!

Old 02-10-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessupe View Post

Thanks for posting. That one is already in my vocabulary.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:18 AM

Highly recommend that you get a looper and repost asking for suggestions for songs. For example "Hit The Road Jack", any blues, What's Going On, With Or Without You, Blue Moon, Canon in D, are all not too too hard and very fun. One of my acoustic electrics is wired so that if you hit the top with your thumb, a big bass drum sound is produced...
Old 02-10-2018, 07:43 AM

The Long and Winding Road - The Beatles

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write