The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-03-2012, 04:43 PM

Default Yesterdays Cover - Jazz standard by Jerome Kern

"Yesterdays" is a 1933 song composed by Jerome Kern, with a lyric by Otto Harbach.
It was written for the show Roberta (1933), where it was introduced by Irene Dunne.

The cat decided it wanted to play guitar somewhere in the middle of the tune, so all credit goes to the cat. This cat likes to jump on my shoulder while playing which forces great dynamic control as the claws sink about an inch into my shoulder.

Nice tune by Kern. I was trying to get the headphones out of my face so other than me humming a little there is a bit of unintentional dropout while I frantically search for the headphones. Backing track was , I think, a Hal Crook backing track which is actually decent to play with.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN_ee5Yo4GA
Old 02-04-2012, 08:36 PM

That was some very nice playing.
The sound track seemed to be a bit loud though. At least to my ears.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

I am a jazz fan and that was some very fine playing. I agree with Sam about the mix though. To me, it overshadowed the guitar... especially the drums.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly sam View Post
That was some very nice playing.
The sound track seemed to be a bit loud though. At least to my ears.
Thanks, sam.

I'm pretty sure I almost randomly picked a 3db increase while mixing it, and that's the problem with the sound. As much as I'd like to do more takes and get these things right, I, so far, seem to remain a one-take player ;)

I always hope for the random seeming Nth-dimensional householder transformation that YouTube puts the poor upload through (otherwise known as "processing video") will either fix it or destroy it beyond recognition and it usually does one of those.

Anyone who wouldn't fix the headphone slip and the cat attack is pretty much a lazy bum. (oh yeah, that's me).
Old 02-05-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbie View Post
I am a jazz fan and that was some very fine playing. I agree with Sam about the mix though. To me, it overshadowed the guitar... especially the drums.
Hi Kerbie and thanks,

I went back and reviewed what I'd done using the Zoom h4n recorder and found that I was doing something I usually don't that is really hard to get right in the mix. (even though mixing should be dead simple on that).

There's an option to take the 4 tracks and link 2 channels together (say for stereo recording), and you can also link the 'other 2' together too. Maybe this is just not such a great feature to use for the guitar track because the guitar appears to get 'lost' (pretty much) in the mix despite sounding completely correct before the bounce-down to a single .wav file.

I'm going to make sure I'm not using that in the future since all the older ones I did before I 'discovered' that feature were better.

Thanks,
Old 02-05-2012, 02:00 PM

Have you ever thought of comping over the backing the track, then eliminating the backing track in the mix, so you're left with just the rhythm and the melody?

Personally, I find backing tracks good for practice but lacking for performance.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 02-05-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post
Have you ever thought of comping over the backing the track, then eliminating the backing track in the mix, so you're left with just the rhythm and the melody?

Personally, I find backing tracks good for practice but lacking for performance.
Sure. I actually prefer that as long as I put something decent down and then the chords are more "right" for me. I probably have 10 or 12 like that on the site.

Thanks for the comment,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell