The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-02-2010, 06:52 AM

Default What planer?

I'm an above average guitar tech, but I'm just delving into building. I'm interested in buying a portable planer, but wanted to get some advice here first. I know the 12-13" planers work well for electrics, but what about acoustics?

Any thoughts? I need to spend less than $500.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2010, 08:49 AM

You don't need a planer. A drum sander, or wide belt sander are better suited for thin acoustic woods. A Jet/Performax 10/20 is just above your price range. You may be able to find one used.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

The one above the 10/20 is $200 off right now I read. I'm not sure if the sale carries through all the models.
I want the huge Grizzly Tim McKnight has! Till then my 10/20 is fantastic.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:46 AM

I have a delta drum sander I picked up on craigslist for $400 dollars barley used they are a bit cheaper new that the performax. I think its a solid machine that has since changed my life. Planer definitely wont do the trick. Some guys build their own drum sanders as well might be allot cheaper Google building a drum sander.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody b View Post
You don't need a planer. A drum sander, or wide belt sander are better suited for thin acoustic woods. A Jet/Performax 10/20 is just above your price range. You may be able to find one used.
You guys that have that 10" sander...are you able to flip the wood and run wider than 10" pieces in two passes? Does that work well?
Old 11-08-2010, 11:00 PM

Not in your price range, but Woodmaster makes some great planers on which you can swap out the cutter head for a sanding drum. I've got their 18" planer...but then I also have a 43" wide Halsty 20 hp wide belt sander now. I did have a Woodmaster 24" drum sander for several years, and it was a great machine for what it was, too.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:33 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
You guys that have that 10" sander...are you able to flip the wood and run wider than 10" pieces in two passes? Does that work well?
YES.
Once you figure out how to line up the Sandpaper! It was a bugger to figure out (for me).
Old 11-09-2010, 08:15 PM

You really don't need a planer for anything for acoustics. Planers are to remove large amounts of wood quickly. The problem with this is on any type of wood for an acoustic that is highly figured is that you will have a major risk of tearout. A used drum sander (the jet 10-20 or 16-32 for example) can be found in your budget. Watch craigslist, ebay, visit your local woodworking stores etc and you'll find one at some point. I found my 16-32 100 miles away for $350. It had 10 hours use on it max. I put 80 grit sandpaper on and can take a back set from .220 to .100 in about 5 minutes. No chance of tearout (and screaming obscenities about ruining that expensive board either!)

Until then, a couple of good planes, some water stones or the "Scary Sharp" method to tune them up, varying grits of sandpaper, some scrapers and a burnisher combined with a little elbow grease is the way to go. If you feel you must use a planer and have some inexpensive non figured wood you want taken down from .220+ to around .150 then find a local cabinet makers shop. $20 bucks, a case of beer or bottle of liqour and being very polite will most likely get them to do it for you when they have time. I did this with some maple for another project b4 I got my Jet drum sander. Good luck!
Old 11-12-2010, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the advice guys! Much appreciated. I have now been scouring craigslist for a drum sander. Can't afford a new one but will keep looking for one those 10/20 models. Saw the 16/32 at woodcraft and it is too big for my needs.

Thanks again!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair