The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-20-2019, 07:24 PM

Default Pickguard

Has anyone put a holter pickguard on a sunburst taylor guitar? Just wanting suggestions. Looking at adding a nicer pickguard not the cheap 10 dollar ones

respect that EVERY guitar is different!!!

Taylor 656ce
Taylor 610e
Taylor 210e DLX
Taylor W14
Taylor GS8
Taylor 356ce
BR-371
Gibson J-45 Custom Walnut/Adi
Martin D16-R
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Mextele
Gibson Les Paul Std
Gibson SG Std
Charvel Model 2
Old 10-20-2019, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

You bet - LOVE my Holter Pickguard!

Old 10-20-2019, 09:01 PM

Wow! After googling Holter pickguards and seeing their prices, they wouldn't be for me. I can buy a similar material from StewMac or other vendors and make a pickguard that looks just as good for a fraction of that cost. It's not that difficult.

“We are all bozos on this bus."

1967 D-28 (still on warranty) / 1969 homemade Mastertone / 1977 OME Juggernaught / 2003 D-42 / 2006 HD-28V burst / 2010 Little Martin / 2012 Custom Shop HD-28V / 2014 Taylor 356ce 12 / 2016 Martin D-28 Authentic
Old 10-20-2019, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCawber View Post
Wow! After googling Holter pickguards and seeing their prices, they wouldn't be for me. I can buy a similar material from StewMac or other vendors and make a pickguard that looks just as good for a fraction of that cost. It's not that difficult.
Cool. I definitely couldn't make one as nice. Taylor Mullins (Holter Pickguards) does exceptional, custom work. It was well worth it to me.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:31 PM

I put one on an Eastman E6D. I think they are fantastic.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:47 PM

I have made a few pick guards from a sheet of imitation tortoise that I bought from a local luthier a few decades ago.

The first was on my son's yard sale tenor guitar:

When I got my octave mandolin, it had no guard, but when scratches started to appear on the top, I added one to cover them:

I used some spare scraps to cover the scratches on my brother's ukulele as well.
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .
Old 10-21-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I put pick guards from Taylor Mullins on my J-45TV and Gibson L-00. The thing about his products they are very correct, workman ship is fantastic and his customer service is over the top superior.

They are worth it.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
No, it’s not terribly difficult to do, but the pickguard material available from StewMac and other online luthiery supply vendors is not the same as the genuine celluloid that Mr. Mullins uses. Celluloid is tricky, chemically volatile stuff and has hazardous material status. It’s illegal to ship it through the mail, for example, and I think there are legal protocols that have to be followed in terms of how it’s stored and so forth.

Both Martin and Gibson get their celluloid pickguards from the only import company that brings it into the United States, which is where Taylor Mullins gets his celluloid stock, as well.

So if getting that look precisely correct is important to you, then Mr. Mullins is your best bet. But if getting that exact look is not an issue for you, yes, getting the similar-looking material from StewMac or another online vendor will save you money.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-21-2019, 10:08 AM

Just to refine what I wrote, it’s illegal to ship celluloid through the mail in bulk, because in large quantities it has the same volatility and combustion potential as old fashioned black powder gunpowder. It can explode.

But finished products like pickguards or guitar picks are not nearly as volatile or hazardous, so those CAN be mailed.

Hope that makes more sense...

whm
Old 10-21-2019, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

+1 for Holter Pickguards. Great looking products, high quality work, and exceptional customer service.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Just to refine what I wrote, it’s illegal to ship celluloid through the mail in bulk, because in large quantities it has the same volatility and combustion potential as old fashioned black powder gunpowder. It can explode.

But finished products like pickguards or guitar picks are not nearly as volatile or hazardous, so those CAN be mailed.

Hope that makes more sense...

whm
Yep. My UK luthier could only get ivoroid celluloid strips with longitudinal grain when I said I wanted the Collings-like cross-grain binding, which would have required him to buy large sheets to do it that way, and that can't be shipped to here from the US due to it being a fire hazard
Old 10-21-2019, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky View Post
Yep. My UK luthier could only get ivoroid celluloid strips with longitudinal grain when I said I wanted the Collings-like cross-grain binding, which would have required him to buy large sheets to do it that way, and that can't be shipped to here from the US due to it being a fire hazard
I'm not sure if you still need one, but could Taylor at Holter Pickguards make one and then mail it internationally?
Old 10-21-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
I'm not sure if you still need one, but could Taylor at Holter Pickguards make one and then mail it internationally?
I wanted cross-grain binding not a pickguard. My luthier couldn't buy cross-grained binding strips at the time. This was in 2007.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Oops, sorry... reading too fast (and at work), LOL.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Oops, sorry... reading too fast (and at work), LOL.
No problem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion