The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-21-2019, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Where are the Sheeran guitars?
A couple ads on Reverb say “1 available”, suggesting ready to ship...? A few others say “expected ship date May 31”.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
I'm glad Lowden is making guitars for Sheeran...but with all the effects Ed uses, he could make a cigar box guitar sound good.

Ed could make any guitar sound good, with or without FX, looper, etc. He's a great pop songwriter, player and performer. It's not about the FX. He seems to take a lot of heat on this forum and I don't understand it. Whether someone likes his music or not, he's one helluva talented musician.

Btw... I'm not implying that you have an issue with Ed's schtick or his talent. I just see some posts on this forum at times where people do.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Btw... I was going to snap-up one of the few Sheeran Lowdens that I have seen available at this time, but I got back into mandolins (sold a few things and picked-up Eastman mando, mandola, and octave mando) and have been sidetracked with that at the moment. I still plan to pick up a Sheerhan, but it might be after they start appearing in more shops to try.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:02 AM

Default Where are the Sheeran guitars?

Hello there,

ordered the W04 and look forward to get my hands on it.

The information from my local Lowden dealer (German) told me end of April, they’ll get the first batches somewhere around June (hopefully ‘19).

Anyone with some update on deliveries?

Greetings

Last edited by Earlian; 05-29-2019 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

I played a Lowden F25 at The Podium a few years back and it quickly became the best guitar I ever played.

The price was more than I was willing to pay for my own guitar purposes, but I remained in love with that guitar.

I am viewing the Sheeran F25 as a chance to get a guitar that is very similarly Lowden, for less money.

I watched the announcement videos and read the press releases. Ed really did go to the factory and meet with George. As a knowledgeable expert guitarist he had ideas and had input into the design, not just cosmetics.

So, it will be a little different. And it will be a lot cheaper.

I view it as a chance to get 90% of a Lowden for 40% the cost. It seems like a great deal to me.

I definitely look forward to trying one.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-29-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I played a Lowden F25 at The Podium a few years back and it quickly became the best guitar I ever played.

The price was more than I was willing to pay for my own guitar purposes, but I remained in love with that guitar.

I am viewing the Sheeran F25 as a chance to get a guitar that is very similarly Lowden, for less money.

I watched the announcement videos and read the press releases. Ed really did go to the factory and meet with George. As a knowledgeable expert guitarist he had ideas and had input into the design, not just cosmetics.

I view it as a chance to get 90% of a Lowden for 40% the cost. It seems like a great deal to me.

I hate to say it, but I don't imagine a 'Sheeran by Lowden' is going to have much similarity, other than in general appearance, to a Lowden.
I have no doubt they will be well made and will probably sound ok, but they're relatively cheap for a reason. Think 'Epiphone by Gibson'.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:48 AM

The British "The Guitar Magazine" has a review in the latest issue.

I took a quick look at a news stand and it sounds like I might like the S models.
"We had to check that the body is laminated" , "Obviously, the lows are not huge but they are strong enough" , "The W is more blues while the S is more Celtic"
... or words to that effect.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-30-2019, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post

90% of a Lowden for 40% of the cost, ask yourself how could this be possible?
I have lived in Ireland most of my life and run a small business for a good part of that time, believe me the costs are high.
It is a mystery to me how these guitars can be made in Ireland for that price, it will be interesting to see how it develops.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:28 AM

Could the parts be made offshore and they are assembled in northern Ireland? Perhaps that is how they kept the price down
Old 05-30-2019, 03:33 AM

My guess: more machines doing the work, where that makes sense. Humans doing only the things where CNC machines and such cannot cope.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
My guess: more machines doing the work, where that makes sense. Humans doing only the things where CNC machines and such cannot cope.
Maybe, but you would have to invest an awful lot of money to set up a production line like that. It wouldn't make economic sense to me.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:10 AM
Charter Member

Isn't the Sheeran S model based on a Lowden f23?

I played a f23 at Music Zoo a few months ago and thought it was a really cool guitar. Went back a second time and didn't care for it nearly as much. It's a pretty small guitar, small than a Martin 00, with very clear notes and great separation,

If the Sheeran S's sound like the f23, a lot of people will like them, it's not for me.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
Maybe, but you would have to invest an awful lot of money to set up a production line like that. It wouldn't make economic sense to me.
Pretty sure $ is not an issue for Ed Sheeran After watching a few of the promotional videos and interviews, it seems that this is much personal as it is business. I also recall them making a point that they came up with some secret proprietary processes that will keep costs down.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:35 AM

British guitar magazines have mentioned one or two other UK guitar companies - small ones - going for laser cutting their parts, and other machine operations. That technology isn't as expensive as it used to be. People are expensive.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguy View Post
Pretty sure $ is not an issue for Ed Sheeran After watching a few of the promotional videos and interviews, it seems that this is much personal as it is business. I also recall them making a point that they came up with some secret proprietary processes that will keep costs down.
Well I'm sure he has lots of money to play with, but in my experience, people don't usually go into a business venture without expecting to make a profit.
Costs are high in Ireland, wages, insurance, council taxes, social insurance contributions, I can't see how they can do it? Maybe I'm wrong, it will be interesting to watch it unfold.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion