The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-01-2010, 08:32 AM

Default Ukelele

Quck one boys and girls. And I'm not even sure you want me to post on this forum or this section re Ukelele but let's see. I am wanting to venture forth into the world of building guitars, acoustic guitar mainly. Not for a living, not even to sell but to do it as a hobby of sorts (no real good playing actually). So, someone once said a good intro to the whole thing would be a kit. And then someone else said start with something really unambitious as far as kits go as well to see if you're the wood and glue type or not. And I find the ukeleles on the Stewmac site. They look pretty decent so I think I'll get one but I dont know which. They have a soprano and a tenor. I'm thinking that the tenor may be the more versatile instrument to own and I do want to play the darned thing. So can anyone give an opinion on which they think would be the best to get plse? Also, any recommendations on good literature or dvd instruction on playing one of these?

Cheers - Eddie
Old 11-01-2010, 10:17 AM

Eddie, I built one of those "Grizzly" Soprano uke kits, the body was already prebuilt. Its somewhat of a player, but I built it kinda crude made up my own fretboard of Cherry to replace that thin plywood one that came with the kit, but I put the frets in a little crooked lol. It eventually became a wall hanging decoration. I think on the Stewmac ones the body needs to be built as well, sides are prebent. I'd go for a Tenor size, longer scale, larger soundbox. As far as info, check out http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/

They have a builders section there that is very informative all things uke. Best of luck, Joel
Mollenhauer 3LP
Glyph Mezzo Ukulele
Kawika Pineapple Ukulele
Old 11-01-2010, 07:50 PM

Thanks Joel. Was my thinking as well. Thanks for the site link hey.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:04 AM

I just built a Stew Mac tenor. It is not that hard to build if you have some woodworking skills and take your time. Mine turned out really nice and it sounds great.

They are a great intro to building IMHO and are WAY better than the Grizzly. The Grizzly instruments are plywood and the Stew Mac is solid Mahogany.

Erik

2010 NS72CE
1969 Gibson J-50-D
1967 Martin d-12-35
Peavey Millenium 4 Bass

http://www.youtube.com/user/partyofonemusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair