The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-24-2010, 09:19 PM

Default Want to learn about guitar kit parts

Hi,

Just want to learn about the different parts luthiers use to build a guitar from scratch, like I always hear kerfling, purfling, binding, braces, tone bars, etc... Can someone point me to a comprehensive link for a good idea what these parts are?

Thanks
Brian
Cort SFX - Custom Shop (2005) - Sold
Taylor 514ce (2006) - Sold
Timothy S7 (2007) - Sold
Yamaha LL16 (2008) - Sold
Mcpherson 3.5 (2008)
Blueridge BR183 (2009) - Sold
Custom Acoustic FG2009CEQ (2010) - Sold
Taylor 814ce (2011) - Sold
Larrivee LV09, C10 (2012)
Alvarez AG75CE (2013) - Sold
Taylor GS Mini (2016)
Old 10-24-2010, 10:13 PM

Get a book on guitar building, would be my suggestion.

Jim McCarthy
Old 10-25-2010, 04:40 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Alex Willis's book was a entertaining read to get me a good idea of what I was getting myself into. It was missing some necessary details to actually build but a great outline and descriptions of the major steps to building.
http://www.amazon.com/Step-Step-Guit.../dp/156523331X
Old 10-25-2010, 09:01 AM

I usually recommend these:

http://www.amazon.com/Guitarmaking-T...4&sr=8-1-fkmr0
-gotta have this one. even ervin has one

http://esomogyi.com/books.html
-any of these books will take you to the next level if you are serious. "THE RESPONSIVE GUITAR" and "MAKING THE RESPONSIVE GUITAR" esp.

http://www.amazon.com/GUITAR-REPAIR-...9&sr=8-1-fkmr1
-done in the martin factory in the 70's. IMO another must have.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by arie View Post
I usually recommend these:

http://esomogyi.com/books.html
-any of these books will take you to the next level if you are serious. "THE RESPONSIVE GUITAR" and "MAKING THE RESPONSIVE GUITAR" esp.
I haven't looked at these yet. Are they really for the beginning curious? $$$ Best I can tell from friends with the books I am 12 guitar builds from justifying the expense of Mr. Somogyi's wisdom.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwong View Post
Hi,

Just want to learn about the different parts luthiers use to build a guitar from scratch, like I always hear kerfling, purfling, binding, braces, tone bars, etc... Can someone point me to a comprehensive link for a good idea what these parts are?

Thanks
Brian
Let's just use this thread to give you a good idea of what they are....

The "kerfing" is a lining used to strengthen (or make) the joint between the sides and the top, and the sides and the back.

It's called 'kerfing', because the word kerfing refers to the lines sawed in the wood to make it "bendable" without heat and moisture. Some guitars also have a non-kerfed, or solid, lining.

The Purfling is a decorative detail that is placed between the binding and the guitar's top, back or sides.

Here is a herringbone purfling....

The binding is the "edging" around the body of the guitar, front and back. It's purpose is primarily to seal the end-grain of the wood of the top and back. Secondarily, it is also a decorative feature. Check out the nice, red, bloodwood binding in this photo....

The 'braces' are all the internal pieces of wood that support the structure of the body.

The back braces are usually 'ladder' braces, so called because they look somewhat like the rungs of a ladder....

The top contains several different types of braces. On a typical steel-string guitar, using the Martin X-bracing style pattern, you'll find the large "X-braces" which provide the bulk of the support for the top. The braces going off towards the sides are "finger braces". The two braces in the lower bout are "tone-bars". The tone bars help transmit vibrations from the bridge area to the lower bout.

In this photo, there is only one finger brace on each side. Most builders typically use two on each side....

That's all you specifically asked for, but how about a few more, just in case someone else wants to know.....

The rosette, is the decorative piece that goes around the soundhole...

The "bridge plate" is a piece of wood glued to the underside of the top which helps reinforce the top where the bridge is located and where holes are drilled for the pins.

The neck block is a piece of wood that is glued on the inside of the guitar body at the top. It acts as a joint for the top, the back, the sides and the neck.

The tail block strengthens the bottom of the body of the guitar and gives the builder a place to glue the sides, the top and the back to on the bottom.

Many acoustic guitars have a "tail wedge" or an "end wedge". While not necessary for the structure of the instrument, it does add a nice decorative touch to the bottom of the sides, in place of simply butting the two sides together and leaving it at that.

Hope this helps....
1986 Squire Fat Strat (Korean)
2004 Gibson Les Paul Classic
2007 Fender Standard Stratocaster (Mexican Strat)
2010 Guild F-47rc (Purchased in 2012)
2013 Home-made Stratocasters (x2)
2017 Martin GPCRSG
Old 10-26-2010, 02:10 AM

Good post MJudd.

Stewmac.com is a good place to wander round and brows to see whats what.

Cumpiano's Tradition and technology is very good
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 08:18 AM

This is indeed very helpful. Thanks. If someone can arrange pictures like these here on this thread to show the whole building process will be great...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjudd View Post
Let's just use this thread to give you a good idea of what they are....

The "kerfing" is a lining used to strengthen (or make) the joint between the sides and the top, and the sides and the back.

It's called 'kerfing', because the word kerfing refers to the lines sawed in the wood to make it "bendable" without heat and moisture. Some guitars also have a non-kerfed, or solid, lining.

The Purfling is a decorative detail that is placed between the binding and the guitar's top, back or sides.

Here is a herringbone purfling....

The binding is the "edging" around the body of the guitar, front and back. It's purpose is primarily to seal the end-grain of the wood of the top and back. Secondarily, it is also a decorative feature. Check out the nice, red, bloodwood binding in this photo....

The 'braces' are all the internal pieces of wood that support the structure of the body.

The back braces are usually 'ladder' braces, so called because they look somewhat like the rungs of a ladder....

The top contains several different types of braces. On a typical steel-string guitar, using the Martin X-bracing style pattern, you'll find the large "X-braces" which provide the bulk of the support for the top. The braces going off towards the sides are "finger braces". The two braces in the lower bout are "tone-bars". The tone bars help transmit vibrations from the bridge area to the lower bout.

In this photo, there is only one finger brace on each side. Most builders typically use two on each side....

That's all you specifically asked for, but how about a few more, just in case someone else wants to know.....

The rosette, is the decorative piece that goes around the soundhole...

The "bridge plate" is a piece of wood glued to the underside of the top which helps reinforce the top where the bridge is located and where holes are drilled for the pins.

The neck block is a piece of wood that is glued on the inside of the guitar body at the top. It acts as a joint for the top, the back, the sides and the neck.

The tail block strengthens the bottom of the body of the guitar and gives the builder a place to glue the sides, the top and the back to on the bottom.

Many acoustic guitars have a "tail wedge" or an "end wedge". While not necessary for the structure of the instrument, it does add a nice decorative touch to the bottom of the sides, in place of simply butting the two sides together and leaving it at that.

Hope this helps....
Cort SFX - Custom Shop (2005) - Sold
Taylor 514ce (2006) - Sold
Timothy S7 (2007) - Sold
Yamaha LL16 (2008) - Sold
Mcpherson 3.5 (2008)
Blueridge BR183 (2009) - Sold
Custom Acoustic FG2009CEQ (2010) - Sold
Taylor 814ce (2011) - Sold
Larrivee LV09, C10 (2012)
Alvarez AG75CE (2013) - Sold
Taylor GS Mini (2016)
Old 10-26-2010, 01:56 PM

Brian, there are a number of builders who blog about their building process. Do a google search and you can find what you are looking for.

Here's one... Building an Acoustic Guitar in your Kitchen

John at Blues Creek has one here, along with some videos.

One of my favorites is Stephen Godbe's blog.

I think you'll find these quite helpful. They will take you through the whole building process, which would require more room that we can fit easily in a single post on this forum. If you really want to know more detail about the building process, you'll really need a book. (Especially, if you are thinking of building one, yourself.) I'd recommend either the Cumpiano book or Kindade's book. Amazon has both.
1986 Squire Fat Strat (Korean)
2004 Gibson Les Paul Classic
2007 Fender Standard Stratocaster (Mexican Strat)
2010 Guild F-47rc (Purchased in 2012)
2013 Home-made Stratocasters (x2)
2017 Martin GPCRSG

Last edited by mjudd; 10-26-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Here is my first build with lots of U turns and pictures!
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...php?t=15794545

Poke around here and Custom there are a couple of builds journalized by a variety of experiences. Also, do use the search engine; McKnight builds are thoroughly journalized by Mary McKnight for each of their clients. A few of those builds can be found.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair