The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-13-2022, 03:13 PM

Default Next Gen Luthiers UK: Oliver Marchant 00

In the recent phase of my obsession, I decided to get rid of everything I had except 1 guitar that I adore. I've accepted that I'm insanely picky and ultra-sensitive when it comes to what works for me, and I'm also almost exclusively interested in 00-sized instruments, due to comfort issues, or at the very largest an OM with a pretty radical Manzer wedge shape.
During this madness I got some rather lovely woods (an additional fixation) and was looking around for a local builder, when I chanced upon Oliver of Marchwood Guitars, who is young and still under the radar, but is developing a name for exceptionally high levels of build quality, attention and finesse, along with a penchant for seductively moody instagram shots of his work. I played a couple of his OMs and thought they sounded excellent, and he was willing to push the envelope in terms of accomodating my wish for a lighter, more responsive instrument. A more intelligent, thoughtful and sensitive young man you couldn't hope to meet.
So, here's where it starts, some pinker sinker cedar and fabulous Australian blackwood, supplied directly by luthier John Buckham in New South Wales from a tree on a neighbour's farm. The set included a bridge, which John recommended I try as a lighter alternative to the usual rosewood/ebony choice. The sinker cedar had the most beguiling depth of taptone.

Old 01-14-2022, 01:39 AM
Charter Member

What beautiful woods. That guitar is going to look amazing!
Old 01-14-2022, 11:27 AM

Laminated sides with flax fibre centre:

Meticulously carved top braces:

Integration of top and laminated sides:
Old 01-21-2022, 09:23 AM

Most of Oliver's pictures are adept at showcasing the clean lines and precision of his work:

I asked Oliver to incorporate a Traugott style floating back brace, having seen Michel Aboudib adopt the same system (the joys of learning from fellow AGF members!). He was very willing, and, having requested permission from Jeff, reported a positive outcome in terms of the perceived responsiveness of the back:

Old 01-21-2022, 10:21 AM

Love the "next-gen" title.

I've had my eye on Oliver's work for a little while now, after hearing Tom Sands praise him highly. He clearly has his own thing going on in terms of aesthetics and his work looks uber crisp (reminds me of Rory Dowling in that regard). I really must get my hands on one to hear if they sound as good as they look.

Perhaps yours Dennis?! - Your woods look great and hardly the conventional choice.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited by steveh; 01-24-2022 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:57 AM

Absolutely Steve, and that day is getting pretty close, I think we should be ready in a couple of weeks, around the same time as my Branwell Torres, so a double bonus! You might have to come over with your Taran for a bit of a sesh...

Engraved copper rosette:

Tasty Aussie blackwood:

And ready for finish:

Old 01-24-2022, 08:57 AM

Very lovely indeed. The blackwood on the back and sides is fantastic but the whole thing is really understated and classy.
Old 01-29-2022, 04:02 PM

Lovely contrast of sharp lines/facets and contours, Oliver's signature crisp aesthetic. I'm starting to feel the impatience of the approaching finishing line!

Old 02-03-2022, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Love the "next-gen" title.

I've had my eye on Oliver's work for a little while now, after hearing Tom Sands praise him highly. He clearly has his own thing going on in terms of aesthetics and his work looks uber crisp (reminds me of Rory Dowling in that regard). I really must get my hands on one to hear if they sound as good as they look.

Perhaps yours Dennis?! - Your woods look great and hardly the conventional choice.

Cheers,
Steve
So glad to see Oliver getting the attention he deserves. One of my favourite builders and just an all round top bloke.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:56 AM

Nearly there. A week to settle in for final setup. You can see the Asussie blackwood bridge and I think the copper rosette is pretty cool.
I really like the look of the cedar top, still showing off those lovely pink streaks. Chomping at the bit...

Old 02-13-2022, 12:20 PM

Beautiful guitar! Is a recording in the future? Would love to hear it. Enjoy,
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 02-13-2022, 04:00 PM

That is a truly beautiful guitar in every way. Enjoy it.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:18 AM

Thanks guys, I gotta say that I find Oliver's work very appealing. He's got his own style going on both visually and tonally. Definitely planning to do some recording in the near future. In the meantime, some rather tasty blackwood:

Old 02-14-2022, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Smile Lovely!

Nice wood choices! I am a fan of Cedar and Tasmanian Blackwood both

Do I spy gold Jescar frets, too? If so, it will be a LOOOONG time till you need a fret dressing!

Very appealing axe…

Enjoy it in fine health

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-15-2022, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

Looking very clean and elegant, and the novel approach to the rosette adds a lot too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop