The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 02:03 PM

Default NO LONGER AVAILABLE NEW Bourgeois OMS Italian-Padauk Vintage Heirloom

NO LONGER AVAILABLE.

For sale is this new Bourgeois OMS Vintage Heirloom series. It has a few customisations that you have to like:

- a custom nut width of 1 13/16, with the standard 2 5/16 spacing at the bridge (200,00 upcharge)
- Madagascar headstock veneer with logo at the back (200,00 upcharge)
- no end pin hole
- straight grained Padauk back and sides (300,00 upcharge)
- Italian spruce top

The rest of the specs is standard within the Vintage Heirloom series, including Animal Protein Glue construction.

Why do I sell it? I was offered a new job and will have to move from Chile to Europe with my family in a few weeks, which means I had to cancel a planned trip to the US to pick up this new Bourgeois. It is just not the right time for me to get another guitar, and shipping it internationally would add extra costs (also taxes).

The guitar was ordered via Heartbreaker Guitars and is still in their shop, basically untouched. They only took it out to make a few photos (below).

I choose Padauk for the back and sides after seeing a video on tonewoods, by Dana Bourgeois, in which he talks highly of this wood and says it is a shop favorite (https://youtu.be/KDKTze4g510, starting at 22:55). He adds that it sounds a lot like Panama Rosewood, which is kind of dryer sounding. My thought was that this dryer rosewood sound, together with the Italian Spruce and the 000-12 body, would make a nice fingerstyle guitar. Dana also said on several occasions that the OMS is one of his favorite body shapes (Bourgeois used to present the OMS as their “richest sounding guitar”).

Here is what James, the sales manager of Bourgeois with whom I had been in contact, had to say about this guitar:
“HI Felix,

WOW! I know this guitar well. It was the talk of the shop for several weeks!

I am impressed with how well the guitar came out.

All the best,

James”

Now, do they say this to everyone who ordered a custom guitar? Maybe, but it is definitely not a bad sign (:

Price was 5584,40, including a 10% discount that I’m not sure every dealer offers. Paypal 4950,00, NOW 4650,00 to me and it is yours (my loss will be your gain). Heartbreaker Guitars would ship it to you for free within the US. PM me with any questions. I am a longtime AGF member and sympathize with fellow guitar geeks, so you can buy with confidence.

Cheers
Felix (Ernesto)

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Last edited by Ernesto; 05-31-2021 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

Great looking guitar here. The OMS is a really nice design. Best with the sale....Robert
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 05-12-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Great looking guitar here. The OMS is a really nice design. Best with the sale....Robert
Thanks Robert! Yes it is. I found a video of Dana Bourgeois talking about the OMS design, also about possible tonal differences between slotted and solid headstock (starting at 7:25): https://youtu.be/RRpufm8jGEs?t=444
Old 05-12-2021, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Stunning!!!! Good luck with the sale.

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 05-13-2021, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenpalms View Post
Stunning!!!! Good luck with the sale.
Thanks, Jeff! I am really thinking of finding a way to pick it up and keep it myself, even though, given my situation, reason tells me it would be the best to sell.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:38 AM

I have been asked for the scale length, its 25.5. Transferring the warranty should not be an issue, so you would be the first owner of this guitar, literally and officially.

Now 4850,00.

Last edited by Ernesto; 05-17-2021 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Info added from deleted early bump. 24 hours, please.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:33 PM

Here are some more photos of this very guitar that Bourgeois posted on their website (check it out, also for detailed specs: https://bourgeoisguitars.com/product...ntage-hs-9115/). I think they did a great job, the headstock looks stunning, and the shape is just beautiful. Compared to the original 000-12 by Martin, it looks better proportioned to me. If I am not mistaken, they moved the sound-hole up a bit. And I really like the look of the Padauk, straight grained all the way, but with some character to it (look at the darker lines).

Regarding Padauk as a tonewood, here is what Alan Carruth and Tim McKnight, great luthiers and experts who educate us regularly here at the AGF, had to say about it (I hope it is ok to quote you, Alan and Tim):

“I got some well quartered Padauk some years ago that tested out in the same league as Brazilian rosewood in terms of stiffness, density and damping. I've used it on a variety of projects, and it pretty well lives up to the billing.” (A. Carruth)

“I've used African Padauk a number of times, all with excellent results. I think its one of the greatest "sleeper" tonewoods that doesn't get enough exposure or use. As Alan said, I think its one of the closest drop in replacements for BRW of the non-Dalbergias” (T. McKnight).

The guitar is still available. PM or email me with any questions.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
Old 05-17-2021, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

What a beauty!

Circa - Claxton - Furch - Goodall - Hatcher - Kopp - Martin - McIlroy - McPherson - Merrill - Santa Cruz - Taylor - Urlacher
Old 05-17-2021, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

The OMS shape is really elegant. Less OM, more rounded. Everyone who's seen mine has called it a 000-12. That orange Padauk is just gorgeous!
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 05-20-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPicker View Post
What a beauty!
Thank you, NewPicker, yes it is!

Quote:
The OMS shape is really elegant. Less OM, more rounded. Everyone who's seen mine has called it a 000-12. That orange Padauk is just gorgeous!
Thank you, roberts, I like this shape, as I said, even better than the original 000-12 design by Martin. The difference is subtle, but the Bourgeois looks better proportioned to me. I also think the herringbone helps to bring out the curves. And the Padauk, yes, it looks wonderful, even though some folks do not like the orange color. Anyway, it is said to darken to a nice brown after a while of exposure to UV.
Your OMS must be gorgeous as well. Redwood-Walnut is such a rich combo...

To all of those who are interested: I forgot to say, no trades please (would not make sense in my situation).
Old 05-20-2021, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Smile 000-12

Quote:
I think the only diff to a 000-12 may be the long 25.5" scale. I believe a 000 would usually have 25" or a bit less...

Sure is a beauty! Enjoy the new job, even without this nice guitar!

Salud

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-20-2021, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

The OMS is slightly wider in upper bout and less paddle-shaped than a traditional 000-12, but not squared off like most OMs. The additonal downforce from the slot head along with longer scale gives notes serious definition and sustain....
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 05-22-2021, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Sure is a beauty! Enjoy the new job, even without this nice guitar!

Salud

Paul
Thank you! I know I will miss her without ever having touched her! Now that is platonic love

Quote:
The OMS is slightly wider in upper bout and less paddle-shaped than a traditional 000-12, but not squared off like most OMs. The additonal downforce from the slot head along with longer scale gives notes serious definition and sustain....
Yes, the more I look at it, the more it becomes clear that this is really quite an original shape. In the video I posted, Dana mentions the importance of the long scale.

Ok, 4500,00. NOW 4650,00 Better grab it before I come to my senses.

Last edited by Ernesto; 05-25-2021 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:55 AM

Now 4650,00, the lunatic offer is off the table. Still an excellent price for this very special and brand new guitar. I received some interest, somebody offered 4,000, but it would be a crime selling this low, I cannot do that. Also, as I said, no trades or partial trades please.
Cheers,
Felix
Old 05-26-2021, 11:34 AM

Bump to the top. Keep your offers coming, but please not below the indicated price
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars