The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 05-12-2021, 09:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default 2014 Mountain Song Baritone, Padauk/Adirondack Spruce

Ken Jones of Mountain Song Guitars is an old friend, just like this Baritone. This beauty was originally commissioned in 2014 for our own Paul Heumiller with Ken, and those two embarked on a collaboration that’s kept Paul bari happy for a number of years. Padauk back and sides offer crisp, clear projection and pair with Adirondack Spruce on top for power, power, power. A multiscale setup from 28 1/2” to 27 1/4” adds extra definition and pop to the bass register, and keeps those trebles sugar sweet on the tongue. The neck is carved with an asymmetrical profile that better matches a player’s hand geometry, and the body is further outfitted with twin arm and rib bevels for creature comfort—a wonderful thing on a big boy like this powerhouse Baritone with over 16” across the lower bout. That said, it weighs in at a trim 5lbs, so won’t wear you out anytime soon. Paul later had a James May Ultra Tonic pickup system installed, which sounds, frankly, absurdly good.
Here’s a little more from Paul: “This guitar was a wonderful collaboration between Ken Jones and myself. I selected my favorite specs from the many baritones we've sold over the years and incorporated them all into this guitar. Ken really nailed it tonally, ergonomically, and aethestically. I played this guitar every day and it inspired so many songs. For me that's the sign of a great guitar: inspiration to play."

Click here to watch Paul play and discuss this beauty.

Here's an additiona demo with our own Al Petteway: https://youtu.be/8O6eTCCnsng.

We loved this one so much that we teamed up with Al Petteway and recorded it on our latest album: Dream Guitars Volume II Hand Picked. Track #6, “Saturday Night Strut.”

"I commissioned a multiscale Baritone from Ken Jones of Mountain Song Guitars, which would be able to growl in the low register but remain clear, articulate and easy to play. By choosing Padauk and Adirondack with multiscale frets and Ken's magical voicing abilities, we more than exceeded my hopes for this instrument. It handles fingerstyle, pounding rhythm, and so many tunings. It has been a trusty friend for me upon which I have written many many songs. Alas, like so many guitar players I have found another that I wish to share time with for a while, so I’m offering this one to you. I know whoever is lucky enough to have it next will feel the same sort of inspiration that I have." - Paul Heumiller

"One of the best Baritone guitars I've played at the shop. The tone is great and it plays like a dream. The multiscale frets make the tension feel perfect in dropped tunings. I had a lot of fun recording on this one for Dream Guitars Volume II - Hand Picked." - Al Petteway

Price: $12,360

For more information please visit:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Tags
baritone, dream, guitars, mountain song