The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-17-2019, 05:51 PM

You will be shock at how loud some of these small bodies are. I had a 00-18V and a 0-16NY, the 00 was just amazing. You couldn't get a more comfortable couch guitar as well. Try one, you will be amaze.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:04 PM

I don't know that sizes 0 and 00 are odd. Maybe a size 3 1/2 is odd.

I'm building a size 5 now. This is how it compares to a dreadnaught.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-17-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Might I assume that you grew up when the dreadnought was considered the standard size?

Allow me : C.F.Martin stared making guitars in the USA in the 1800s, right? (You knew that).

Back then there were relatively few Rosebowl sized venues and few heavy metal gigs.

Guitars were considered instruments for ladies when entertaining a small gathering/ soiree - all very domestic and polite,

The size 1 was the standard size for this.
The size 0 was called a "concert" size and intended to be sufficient to perform in a large room, small hall etc.
The size 00 was called (if memory serves) a "grand concert" - so, we are talking about a large hall, church, small theatre perhaps.

The 000 was introduced some time later - in 1902 and called the "Auditorium" and considered appropriate for a large venue of maybe 500 or more.

NOTE: all of the above were to be played un-amplified.

This was demonstrated to me some years ago ('70s?) when I went to see Stefan Grossman playing in a small Victorian theatre with, maybe 4-600 seats (?)

Through some sort of misunderstanding, no house p.a was available.

Stefan walked onto the stage, and after the welcoming applause he spoke to us and explained the problem and offered to play unamplified or offered people to go to the desk to get their money back.

He held up his Martin 00 and 000 and said, "well this was the size audience that these things were designed for!"

As far as I cold see, no-one left.

I was pretty high up at the back, and we heard every note.

Makes you think about how amplification has spoiled our enjoyment of music don't it?
1. Yes you’re right- growing up, I saw mostly dreadnoughts. So forgive me everyone for not knowing about these sweet “small” guitars I’m just now learning about them for some reason...

2. Beautifully written! Very helpful! And what a great story about Stefan. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2019, 06:21 PM

I have come to the point where I really enjoy 00s.

I have a 20 year old 00-15. A Plain Jane that gets it done and then some.

Most of the time I don't need the volume of the dread. I compared the 00 to the triple 0. Pretty close.

Then there is that certain intimacy that comes with a 00 size.

Some day I will get a 00-18.

I really like the 00 size. A great partner for singing.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:21 PM

Oh that is understandable, you can get confuse if you are not familiar with so many diff. sizes. I read you purchased a OM recently, well the 00 is a fraction smaller.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinaylor View Post
I don't think they're odd objectively - I just simply haven't seen any in my 20 years of gigging/playing until I saw one on the internet the other day. I find them odd because I had never seen anyone use such a small guitar before.
Seriously, you've never seen anyone playing a parlor guitar? You've seen 000's right? An 00 isn't all that much smaller. I play a carbon fiber parlor guitar and like it so much I sold my larger guitars. I'm not playing in bluegrass jams or anywhere else that needs the acoustic volume of a dread. A D28 was my only acoustic guitar for decades and I loved it, but when I play a dread now, they just seem uncomfortably big (I play seated a lot - they're OK standing) and I don't need the volume. And if I should need it, I can always plug in.

Little guitars may not be you're cup of tea, but you should play one, or two, or three. They might surprise you. I love 'em now. Stumming or picking.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
What does GT stand for in this chart?
Old 07-17-2019, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

just to throw in a non-Martin example ... my little Alvarez AP66 is classified as a parlor guitar, but it is almost exactly the dimensions of a 00, (but in looking at that chart, its shape is more like the Size 1); there are a few videos out there and quite a number of AGF fans of those ... love that little guitar!

Last edited by Ludere; 07-17-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
What does GT stand for in this chart?
I think it's this odd ball:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-17-2019, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Default 0 And 00 Martins

I purchased a 00-18Authentic about 6 months ago and I have to say that ounce per ounce it is one of the best guitars I have ever played. I also have a 2010 0-28VS that is outstanding as well. I'm obviously hooked on small bodied Martins.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:53 PM

Default 0 and 00 Martins

Walked into Sam Ash in NYC last year, and saw a new 2018 Martin 00-28 on the wall.

“Ooh, I’ve never tried one of THESE!”.

Within 15 minutes I was walking out with it. My most comfortable guitar.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:58 PM

My '67 nylon 00-28C is my most recent acquisition, and is a joy to play. It invites an intimacy in approach and touch that my larger guitars do not, even more so than my like sized Bashkin 00. I'm considering an 0 or 00 for my TBD Michaud build...

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)
Old 07-17-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippygreen View Post
My '67 nylon 00-28C is my most recent acquisition, and is a joy to play. It invites an intimacy in approach and touch that my larger guitars do not, even more so than my like sized Bashkin 00. I'm considering an 0 or 00 for my TBD Michaud build...
With NGD link if curious!

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/....php?p=6016164

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)
Old 07-17-2019, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Might I assume that you grew up when the dreadnought was considered the standard size?

Allow me : C.F.Martin stared making guitars in the USA in the 1800s, right? (You knew that).

Back then there were relatively few Rosebowl sized venues and few heavy metal gigs.

Guitars were considered instruments for ladies when entertaining a small gathering/ soiree - all very domestic and polite,

The size 1 was the standard size for this.
The size 0 was called a "concert" size and intended to be sufficient to perform in a large room, small hall etc.
The size 00 was called (if memory serves) a "grand concert" - so, we are talking about a large hall, church, small theatre perhaps.

The 000 was introduced some time later - in 1902 and called the "Auditorium" and considered appropriate for a large venue of maybe 500 or more.

NOTE: all of the above were to be played un-amplified.

This was demonstrated to me some years ago ('70s?) when I went to see Stefan Grossman playing in a small Victorian theatre with, maybe 4-600 seats (?)

Through some sort of misunderstanding, no house p.a was available.

Stefan walked onto the stage, and after the welcoming applause he spoke to us and explained the problem and offered to play unamplified or offered people to go to the desk to get their money back.

He held up his Martin 00 and 000 and said, "well this was the size audience that these things were designed for!"

As far as I cold see, no-one left.

I was pretty high up at the back, and we heard every note.

Makes you think about how amplification has spoiled our enjoyment of music don't it?
Brandi Carlile did a “pin drop tour” playing in small theaters completely unamplified. I wish I could have seen it. Here’s part one of a documentary covering it. I’d imagine being unamplified caused people to shut up and be more present instead of talking

Last edited by UncleJesse; 07-17-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
I think it's this odd ball:

[IMG][/IMG]
That's the Japanese built Shenandoah series guitars.

I know of at least a couple of custom Nazareth made Martins with a similar but different body style. The Shenandoah has a pointier cutaway profile and the waist is much higher (closer to the neck) than the custom Martins which have a far more graceful profile. And, not an oval/elliptical sound hole.

Last edited by Jeff Scott; 07-18-2019 at 09:36 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
0 size, 00 size, martin, parlor guitar