The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-28-2019, 02:50 PM

Default Dread Comparison

Had a chance to visit my local guitar store today in Ventura, CA and play a handful of dreadnoughts. Here's what I played:
Martins: D-28 (2018); HD-28 (2019); D-35 (year?); D-28 Mod. Deluxe; Taylor Grand Pacific 517 (played 2 of them - one with electronics one without). Some less expensive Martins that were not in the same league (don't remember models names.

Here are my takeaways.
D-28 - a bit thin compared to the HD-28 and D-35.
Taylor GP-517 - playability, fit and finish, visual appeal - all stellar. Tone was too bright for me compared to the Martins. I'm just not a Taylor guy.
D-28 mod deluxe - definitely the most beautiful looking of the Martins. Fit and finish flawless, gold tuners, position markers, binding, etc... stunning. But it was a little bright and lacking that big resonance that I look for in a Martin.
Now for the two winners of the day
The HD-28 was very resonant, rich, loud and just overall, what I want in a dread.
The D-35 was probably a bit louder than the HD-28 but was also a bit brighter and I liked the tone of the HD-28 better. I also am not a fan of white plastic binding on necks so that was a detractor.

So, the winner was the HD-28. I didn't buy it B/C I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger but it was a fun afternoon and I thought I'd share my perceptions. Any other player might have different perceptions and I might feel differently on a different day or with different examples of the same models. It's all grist for the mill.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:52 PM

When I find the right one, a reimagined series HD-28 is my next guitar! Although I've owned Taylor guitars for the last 15 years or so, I'm quickly falling out with the tone!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 06-28-2019, 03:26 PM

I am a D35 guy , but have always love the hd28s and the way they sound.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:47 PM

I have a 2014 HD28 that sounds awesome, I just can't get on with the 1 11/16 nut width. So I picked up an HD28E at the factory on Monday. 1 3/4 inch nut is perfect for me, and after I swapped in a bone saddle this one rivals it's older brother in tone.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:02 PM

If you'd like more of the same, you might want to check out an HD-28v. I love the HD-28 and the "v" typically has a bit more of the overtones and rich rolling thunder bass. As much as I like my other Martins, I keep coming back to the HD-28v.

“We are all bozos on this bus."

1967 D-28 (still on warranty) / 1969 homemade Mastertone / 1977 OME Juggernaught / 2003 D-42 / 2006 HD-28V burst / 2010 Little Martin / 2012 Custom Shop HD-28V / 2014 Taylor 356ce 12 / 2016 Martin D-28 Authentic
Old 06-29-2019, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

I recently picked up at 1989 Taylor Dan Crary signature model. I sold my Santa Cruz Tony Rice a couple months ago I thought that was the best dread I ever had. This old Taylor beats it hands-down. Absolutely the best dread I’ve ever owned. Plenty of thump but great mid range tune.I’ve seen them going used for about $1500 so if you could come across one of those you would not regret it!

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 06-29-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OjaiAndrew View Post
Had a chance to visit my local guitar store today in Ventura, CA and play a handful of dreadnoughts. Here's what I played:
Martins: D-28 (2018); HD-28 (2019); D-35 (year?); D-28 Mod. Deluxe; Taylor Grand Pacific 517 (played 2 of them - one with electronics one without). Some less expensive Martins that were not in the same league (don't remember models names.

Here are my takeaways.
D-28 - a bit thin compared to the HD-28 and D-35.
Taylor GP-517 - playability, fit and finish, visual appeal - all stellar. Tone was too bright for me compared to the Martins. I'm just not a Taylor guy.
D-28 mod deluxe - definitely the most beautiful looking of the Martins. Fit and finish flawless, gold tuners, position markers, binding, etc... stunning. But it was a little bright and lacking that big resonance that I look for in a Martin.
Now for the two winners of the day
The HD-28 was very resonant, rich, loud and just overall, what I want in a dread.
The D-35 was probably a bit louder than the HD-28 but was also a bit brighter and I liked the tone of the HD-28 better. I also am not a fan of white plastic binding on necks so that was a detractor.

So, the winner was the HD-28. I didn't buy it B/C I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger but it was a fun afternoon and I thought I'd share my perceptions. Any other player might have different perceptions and I might feel differently on a different day or with different examples of the same models. It's all grist for the mill.
I'm surprised you didn't try a D-18 if one was available. Mine has all the deep bass, resonance, projection and sustain I could want-and I'm traditionally a rosewood fan, so it came as a huge and pleasant surprise. When I tried mine against a D-28 and a (used) D-35 I preferred it to both.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion