The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-27-2019, 10:13 AM

Default Used Yamaha Silent guitar at GC

I'm thinking of getting a Yamaha Silent Guitar, specifically the SLG200S, and I can see that there is one available used (I love a good bargain) at Guitar Center:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ya...tric-Guitar.gc

But I am concerned about the unevenness in the string spacing, as can be seen in the "body" shot, if I look in close-up: Basically, it looks like the fifth string is not perfectly aligned between the sixth and fourth strings.

Is this an easy fix?

I am also concerned that it will need a firmware update, or will in any other way not be up-to-date, but I guess that is a chance you take when buying used.

I looked at the new ones on Sweetwater, Guitar Center, and Musician's Friend, but they are all out of stock, "expecting more soon...".

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
I'm thinking of getting a Yamaha Silent Guitar, specifically the SLG200S, and I can see that there is one available used (I love a good bargain) at Guitar Center:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ya...tric-Guitar.gc

But I am concerned about the unevenness in the string spacing, as can be seen in the "body" shot, if I look in close-up: Basically, it looks like the fifth string is not perfectly aligned between the sixth and fourth strings.

Is this an easy fix?

I am also concerned that it will need a firmware update, or will in any other way not be up-to-date, but I guess that is a chance you take when buying used.

I looked at the new ones on Sweetwater, Guitar Center, and Musician's Friend, but they are all out of stock, "expecting more soon...".

Thanks!
It's fine, Just slip the string back along the saddle. It would extremely unusual to find any Yamaha with alignment problems. Also it isn't a computer, doesn't have any facility for updating anything so no worries. As far as I am aware it has remained unchanged since it was first introduced.

Last edited by AndrewG; 06-27-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
It's fine, Just slip the string back along the saddle. It would extremely unusual to find any Yamaha with alignment problems. Also it isn't a computer, doesn't have any facility for updating anything so no worries. As far as I am aware it has remained unchanged since it was first introduced.
Thanks very much! I thought I read somewhere someone said they did a firmware update to fix something, so I assumed there must be something computerised onboard that controls the effects?
Old 06-27-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
Thanks very much! I thought I read somewhere someone said they did a firmware update to fix something, so I assumed there must be something computerised onboard that controls the effects?
Updating the firmware is usually a simple matter of downloading it to your PC, then plugging the pc into the guitar via the micro Slot (like on a smart phone) and downloading it to the guitar.

These things tend to be easy, the developers know who they’re dealing with.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 06-27-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
Updating the firmware is usually a simple matter of downloading it to your PC, then plugging the pc into the guitar via the micro Slot (like on a smart phone) and downloading it to the guitar.

These things tend to be easy, the developers know who they’re dealing with.
LOL, hopefully I could manage that!
Old 06-27-2019, 05:50 PM

There was a firmware update on early SLG200Ns (nylon string version). I am not sure if the S was included. That would be worth researching. Or simply call Yamaha customer service. The firmware update is not user performed. It involves disassembly and replacement of part(s). The guitar has to be returned to a Yamaha Service Center. If there is one in your area not a big deal. If not close, you'll probably need to send it to California.

If it has the glitch, my opinion is you will probably want to have it fixed. It is not tragic and not all the time everywhere on the neck but is audible when it happens.

hunter
Old 06-27-2019, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

I picked up an SLG200N earlier this year also on a repackaged new deal. The setup was horrible when it arrived (strings sitting on top of the nut with grooves that were too small way high action etc). It was relatively straightforward to address those things and now it's excellent although by fixing the saddle it is a lot louder accoustically then it was when I first received it

There is no apparent way for users to update firmware. I checked when I received mine. There is no external connection that I could find or firmware on Yamahas site.

The thr5a amp really works nicely with it as well.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:23 PM

OK thanks for the additional information.

I'm put off getting the used one at GC now, so I'll wait for a new one to become available online, by which time I might have gone off on a new flight of fancy, LOL.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion