The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-28-2019, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
Gator Music may not have Yamaha, but you ought to go to see and play what he has. I played a couple of beautiful Cole Clarks there.

In the back where repairs and setups are done, I was shown a beautiful 1928 Martin, a dainty little thing.
Gene,

Will do, maybe tomorrow. There are no dealers within any reasonable distance to try out any of the mid to higher range Yamahas. There is a dealer in Fort Lauderdale that carries a few Eastmans. Those are on my radar as well.

Let you know what I find. Maybe a road trip next week!

Thank you.

Steve
Old 06-28-2019, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macoshark View Post
I love this thread. Boy, it's out of my league but that 700 looks cool.
Just thought I'd mention that since I've been looking again for a used good sounding acoustic I cant seem to come across any older Yamahas that don't need or soon will need a neck reset. Take your time.
The one shown FG700. IS NECK ANGLE PERFECT AS WELL AS STRAIGHT NECK .
Got to play it and set it up .. I’m struggling to resist. These are so very rare to find but with 2 FG 500 1 fg2000 and 1fg1200j. I’m well toasted!!
Old 06-28-2019, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumble View Post
The one shown FG700. IS NECK ANGLE PERFECT AS WELL AS STRAIGHT NECK .
Got to play it and set it up .. I’m struggling to resist. These are so very rare to find but with 2 FG 500 1 fg2000 and 1fg1200j. I’m well toasted!!
Not that I am a player (pun intended) but what kind of number do you think it would take to buy it?
Old 06-28-2019, 09:28 PM

the LS6 is a decent model especially for the price point.
But what I wanna play(never even seen one) is the LL56 Custom.
Only seen pics but what a beauty. you can see it oozes quality.
For $4,000 it should. and up there the competition is fierce. but im betting this Yamaha holds its own.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph1050 View Post
the LS6 is a decent model especially for the price point.
But what I wanna play(never even seen one) is the LL56 Custom.
Only seen pics but what a beauty. you can see it oozes quality.
For $4,000 it should. and up there the competition is fierce. but im betting this Yamaha holds its own.
Oh Yeah...easily...

Anything out of Yamaha Custom Shop Japan is as good as it gets.

Honestly, even they're higher end stuff out of Taiwan or China is right up there as well.

Yamaha doesn't do poor work, even on the lower end lines. They are sticklers for quality at every level.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-29-2019 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Please refrain from profanity
Old 06-29-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Hi Steve

Well...pretty simple...

The Mahogany version has a little dryer, ever so slightly brighter, and more fundamental and cleaner/more articulate tone...on average.

The Rosewood version has a more complex, wetter sound with more overtones, harmonics going on around the root note...on average.

I say on average because it all really comes down to the given individual guitar and really...the given individual top, which is the primary voice of the guitar, so you can have a "rosewoody" sounding Mahogany or a "mahoganish" sounding Rosewood guitar.

The Rosewood version...if it sounds tonally...on average...meaning wetter/more complex can be a good choice for the player whose technique is not as refined, as the more complex tone can help hide the "goofs" a bit more than the slightly dryer/cleaner...on average...Mahogany version.

Either way, the LL16ARE is just a superb guitar all around!

duff
I liked reading this comparison and found it really well explained. I found the same on my LL16(R) and LL16M, both A.R.E.

The LL16M could be heard down the block when strummed. The back on mine was especially stiff but pushed hard produced explosive volume/ projection.

These days I avoid loud stage guitars for home use.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm1580 View Post
Not that I am a player (pun intended) but what kind of number do you think it would take to buy it?
$650-750. Would be a strong negotiation field. Well worth it . By the way this does come from the Hamamatsu custom shop. Looks like Nitrocellulose. Some small spidering /checking happening on top and to me that’s a desired sign not the other mystery japan finish, poly,synth something I do know that some of they early top models had a Nitrocellulose top finish and other type on back and sides.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:14 AM

Default LL56ARE vs 1971 FG2000

What a great thread, I hope the OP found what they were looking for.

I love Yamaha, I’ve been playing on two AC models during this pandemic. One is the Chinese made Koa Limited 2018 AC4kii. I LOVE thus guitar, so much that I sold an 8 year old MArtin 000-15m shortly after (my first guitar) because this guitar just took my breath away and made me disinterested in the Martin. I picked up a Japanese made 2020 AC5R DLX ARE (limited edition sunburst but otherwise the same as the other AC5’s) and its great but I don’t love it like I do that Koa. But haven’t spent much time with it as it’s at my family house outside of the city and we rarely go there.

My question: does anyone here having firsthand experience with the LL56 and the FG2000 have any suggestions for me? I’m strongly considering either. I feel I need a larger guitar when I play with friends (LOL!). And I play a lot of rock and I think I’ll love the sound, but with these guitars and the pandemic they are extremely hard to demo (the vintage in question is too far away for me to try but has been checked over by someone I trust).

Thanks so much!
Old 12-20-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammynyc View Post

I love Yamaha, I’ve been playing on two AC models during this pandemic. One is the Chinese made Koa Limited 2018 AC4kii. I LOVE thus guitar, so much that I sold an 8 year old MArtin 000-15m shortly after (my first guitar) because this guitar just took my breath away and made me disinterested in the Martin. I picked up a Japanese made 2020 AC5R DLX ARE (limited edition sunburst but otherwise the same as the other AC5’s) and its great but I don’t love it like I do that Koa. But haven’t spent much time with it as it’s at my family house outside of the city and we rarely go there.

My question: does anyone here having firsthand experience with the LL56 and the FG2000 have any suggestions for me? I’m strongly considering either. I feel I need a larger guitar when I play with friends (LOL!). And I play a lot of rock and I think I’ll love the sound, but with these guitars and the pandemic they are extremely hard to demo (the vintage in question is too far away for me to try but has been checked over by someone I trust).

Thanks so much!

Hi Yammynyc

Well...either would be terrific. I would personally go with the FG-2000 but...it is going to sound more vintage 60's Martin...but smoother, less punchy than a good 60's D-28. If you wanted a more lush modern tone, more sustain and overtones/harmoncis, then the LL-56 without a doubt.

duff
Old 12-20-2020, 01:06 PM

My experience - I own 6 recent Yamaha guitars and have extensively played the lj26 and ll36. They are all setup the same and play excellently regardless of price. Out of all of them I prefer the LL6 for tone - I have 2 of these - strung with Martin Monel lights. To my ears they are closer to a Martin than a Taylor sound and with the laminated Rosewod bodies sound in between a Rosewood and Mahogany solid body Yamaha. I have been delighted with these 2 guitars for over 3 years now.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:11 PM

I'm fortunate to have an LL56. One of the finest guitars I've ever played . . . give one a try if you can. Good luck with your quest!
Old 12-20-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Thanks so much!

Don’t mean to derail the conversation, but what kind of strings do you use on your ac4k? I have one as well and it’s wonderful, but I haven’t yet figured out the optimal strings for it. Thank you!
Old 12-21-2020, 04:52 AM

I put Martin liquid metal bridge pins in (I called Martin and asked them if there was a difference between the 99$ Turkish emery and the $200 bone white and they said no, the cost is due to their cost to manufacture and has no change in sound). The pins brightened the sound a little, increased the “lushness” slightly, and extended the sustain.

I had a luthier put in D’addario XT 12-53 on his recommendation and wow they sound great. I did not like the elixirs. Too metallic for me.

Thanks

https://youtu.be/lL4kJL_NDR0

Last edited by Yammynyc; 12-21-2020 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 12-22-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I put Martin liquid metal bridge pins in (I called Martin and asked them if there was a difference between the 99$ Turkish emery and the $200 bone white and they said no, the cost is due to their cost to manufacture and has no change in sound). The pins brightened the sound a little, increased the “lushness” slightly, and extended the sustain.

I had a luthier put in D’addario XT 12-53 on his recommendation and wow they sound great. I did not like the elixirs. Too metallic for me.

Thanks

https://youtu.be/lL4kJL_NDR0
Thank you! I have a pack of XT's, will try them for the next string change
Old 12-23-2020, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Hi Yammynyc

Well...either would be terrific. I would personally go with the FG-2000 but...it is going to sound more vintage 60's Martin...but smoother, less punchy than a good 60's D-28. If you wanted a more lush modern tone, more sustain and overtones/harmoncis, then the LL-56 without a doubt.

duff
Thanks. I put the FG2000 on layaway. I’m going to hopefully have this guitar delivered in the summer for my birthday. It will be the best incentive to practice so psyched.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion