The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-29-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I hope you understand that the VA case is larger than the carryon size allowed on many airlines and will not fit in small commuter jet overheads. Even with the laptop part unzipped. Check your airline's allowed dimensions and hope for a nice crew! I was questioned so often that I finally stopped trying to take my VAD06 on board and picked up a Voyage Air OF660.

Best of luck to you! They're very cool guitars.
Travelled with my VAOM on a plane 10+ times without any probs. I unzip the laptop attachment compartment and the remaining width is no problem. I always pack the inside of the guitar with clothes and this will last me for 2-3 days without any other bags. I put the laptop attachment under my seat as I am usually using my laptop during the flight.

Travel advise: it is worth extra $20-30 to be able to guarantee you board in the first 1/3 of passengers. If you board and the overheads are all full, doesn't matter how big the bag is, it will be checked. Southwest, pay the extra to get A1-30 boarding.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 06-29-2019, 02:21 PM

One plane caveat: none of these guitars fit in the Embraer size 2x2 seat config plane overheads. If you are on a smaller plane - check ahead - it WILL be checked. The VA case is not made for baggage handlers. I would avoid taking the guitar on a smaller than full-sized jet

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 06-29-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handers View Post
One plane caveat: none of these guitars fit in the Embraer size 2x2 seat config plane overheads. If you are on a smaller plane - check ahead - it WILL be checked. The VA case is not made for baggage handlers. I would avoid taking the guitar on a smaller than full-sized jet

hans
Yup. One of points about commuter jets above. Just not going to happen. Maybe you can gate check, but they'll still toss your stuff around.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:12 PM

When Harv was first producing the Voyage-Aire guitars, he circulated some among the various guitar communities. I had an OM model with solid spruce over solid mahogany for a week or two. I liked it better than my Martin OM-16GT. All in all a fine instrument.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

I have the OM-04 and it's a nice guitar. Never had a problem on a full size plane, but on a regional jet anything bigger than a harmonica will probably have to be checked.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion