The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2019, 02:19 PM

Default G7th Newport 5 String Partial capo mini review

https://www.g7th.com/newport-5-string-partial-silver

This is a capo you can put on your second fret to get drop D tuning in the key of E or you can place it two frets above your regular capo to get drop D in any key.

The cool thing about a 5 string capo is that you can use regular fingering for all of your chords, if you want to play a first position E or E minor chord, you can finger the low E at the second fret if you leave space with the capo, and when you play a D chord, you get that beautiful Drop D sound.

I'm going to sell the Newport, and I ordered a Shubb 5 string partial capo.

What I like about the G7th partial capo is the quick release and the knob to adjust pressure. It is very easy to get on and off.

The thing I dislike most is that if you are not careful, the low E will buzz against the metal part of the capo. The padding is not thick enough to leave adequate space for the low E.

Also, the capo has to be put on quite tight to avoid buzzing of the high E, and then the tight capo makes the other strings quite sharp.

I expect to get superior results with the Shubb C8 partial capo which seems to leave extra space for the low E.

You got to try out a 5 string capo, but I would avoid the G7th.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:53 PM

If you really want to have some fun, get the C7 shubb that capos 3 of the middle strings. This opens up a world of fun giving you quasi alternate tunings while retaining some chord forms and not having to tune strings to altered.

Full capo on fret 3, partial C7 on fret 5 (with the partial catching 3rd, 4th, and 5th string). Play D form to get a really nice G chord and G form to get a rich C chord.

Experiment with it, it's lots of fun.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackal View Post
If you really want to have some fun, get the C7 shubb that capos 3 of the middle strings. This opens up a world of fun giving you quasi alternate tunings while retaining some chord forms and not having to tune strings to altered.

Full capo on fret 3, partial C7 on fret 5 (with the partial catching 3rd, 4th, and 5th string). Play D form to get a really nice G chord and G form to get a rich C chord.

Experiment with it, it's lots of fun.
I have this one in my drawer, and I got to play with it again. You can get a lot of lush open string chords like an open tuning, and then, like you say, you play a standard bar chord and everything's back to normal.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:32 PM

I used to have a 3rd hand capo that had the little rubber feet that rotated around, so that you could capo whichever strings you wanted. It was a lot of fun to play with, until the elastic gave out. Then it was a paperweight. I have no clue what happened to it. If I knew, I'd put some fresh elastic on it.

I have seen the newer ones - the spider capo, but they get not so stellar reviews, so I've been reluctant to try one.
Breedlove Pursuit Concert CE
Songbird Phoebe hammered dulcimer
and some ukes
Old 06-26-2019, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

When it comes to partial capos, I prefer the Shubbs over the Newports. They are more stable and seem easier for me to adjust.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion