The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-20-2019, 02:21 PM

Default Pep Talk

I am hoping for a bit of a pep talk. I have been away from the guitar for about 28 years. Picked it up again last year. It is coming along (although the fingers don't move as quickly as they once did). I had to play at church on the weekend (they had no one else --- I was the proverbial bottom of the barrel ). I practised like heck and thought I had everything down pat. then I got nervous and flubbed it. I am not normally nervous as I sing as a cantor and have also had the need for frequent public speaking throughout my career (I am retired).

I would welcome any tips. One approach that I am going to take is to memorize the songs so that I don't need to look at the music or the words, but this could take a while.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfatguy View Post
I am hoping for a bit of a pep talk. I have been away from the guitar for about 28 years. Picked it up again last year. It is coming along (although the fingers don't move as quickly as they once did). I had to play at church on the weekend (they had no one else --- I was the proverbial bottom of the barrel ). I practised like heck and thought I had everything down pat. then I got nervous and flubbed it. I am not normally nervous as I sing as a cantor and have also had the need for frequent public speaking throughout my career (I am retired).

I would welcome any tips. One approach that I am going to take is to memorize the songs so that I don't need to look at the music or the words, but this could take a while.
That's what I do.... I will play it so many times that that I don't even think about when it come time to perform it.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:27 PM

Every week it will get a little easier. You'd be surprised how unexcited the congregation is about the things that really bother musicians. It's not a concert - you know why you're there. Try to enjoy yourself as much as you can muster and keep some perspective - all humans make mistakes.

I really do believe you'll find it gets easier quickly. Obviously, the better prepared you are the less nervous you'll be.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-20-2019, 02:33 PM

First of all, welcome aboard! I see you have just three posts so I assume you're a newbie.
You need a pep talk? Alright, you shall have one.
First of all, any live performing can be nerve wracking so you're not alone.
You are also part of a group of others. Your contribution is a percentage of the whole. It's not as if your soloing at Carnegie Hall or something now is it?
I can't emphasize this enough. Do not imagine yourself to be under scrutiny, you are not. Secondly, being prepared is obviously necessary and goes without saying, but have fun playing and enjoy the act itself. Too many, including myself, are so uptight we forget to just play the music. I can tell you to relax. Anyone can tell you to relax. Once again, just play the music, have some fun. It's not really a big deal...really!
In no time at all you'll be laughing at how silly you were for being uptight. I promise.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-20-2019, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum. What's been said above is spot on. I would only add that we all are nervous at some point. My advice...keep doing it. It will get easier as time passes. I rarely even think about it each week. But there are times it will be there. Particularly on more challenging songs. Practice til you're sick of it. Muscle memory is real...I know from experience. When I've lost my way, my hands keep going despite my brain slipping into neutral momentarily! But most of all...enjoy it! It's a gift and how great to be able to give back...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-20-2019, 04:08 PM

Here's some more pep -- Last February I joined a bluegrass jam group that I thought was just for fun.

The first time I went, found out we had a gig in April!

Like you, I practiced like crazy to get ready for this backyard concert. Did we make mistakes? Oh yeah. But the best compliment we got was from this woman who said our music was joyful. What stood out to her was the feeling, not the technical stuff.

Have fun and enjoy!
Old 05-20-2019, 04:15 PM

Default Thanks.

Thanks everyone. This helps. I will persevere.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:16 PM

Keep practicing until you have made every mistake and found a way to dig yourself back out from under it. And as my sensei used to say about testing for higher belts, "When you've made a mistake and shake your head, that is actually TWO mistakes. The tester probably didn't catch the first one, but will always see the second one". In other words, soldier on as if nothing had happened!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustigoat View Post
....the best compliment we got was from this woman who said our music was joyful. What stood out to her was the feeling, not the technical stuff.
^^ This.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:29 PM

Thumbs up

My pep talk centers around mindset. If you ever think or speak the word “can’t“, it tends to come true. I finally took guitar seriously starting about two years ago after divorce. I needed a productive and creative distraction. I am legally blind so it hasn’t always been easy, and I need to learn my own way. But I simplify it this way: I am better this week than last week. Every minute spent practicing is building towards something. And the number one way putting in the work pays off is if it doesn’t feel like work. The journey is fun.

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 05-20-2019, 05:15 PM

Thumbs up Hang in there

I love your moniker - should probably be mine.

Playing is one skill. Playing for an audience is a whole different thing.

Early on, my goal was to play/perform 75-80% as good as I do at home. The longer I have played, the higher the % has gone.

Practice and memorize until you have it down cold. You'll still occasionally mess up in front of an audience anyway.

Rule #1 - Be as prepared as possible
Rule #2 - Forgive yourself when rule #1 fails you

Repeat and rinse as much as necessary

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-20-2019, 05:53 PM

Check out the book "The Inner Game of Music" for some surprising advice.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:17 PM

You my friend are on a fun journey of discovery , i say enjoy the ride - practice alot and be patient with yourself -with some time under your belt you will get better - the more you play the better you will get !
PEACE
Old 05-20-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I had to play at church on the weekend
Quote:
I am not normally nervous as I sing as a cantor
I thought only Jewish temples had cantors?
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 05-20-2019, 10:07 PM

First off, welcome back to the best hobby(or profession for some) on the planet[emoji846]. Repetition is your ally!!! The more you play, the more comfortable you will be and your playing will reflect it. Sunday service is a relatively safe place to play....you are among friends for the most part. You will always hear your mistakes, 90%of the time others won’t. After a gig recently I asked a patron who I knew fairly well, what she thought of my performance. She told me it was amazing his mistake free I was. I can point to at least 20 mistakes I made through two sets. Audiences really do t notice or don’t care as long as they are having fun AND you look like YOU are having fun. Enjoy the ride and welcome home [emoji106][emoji106]
Old 05-20-2019, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Waaay back when I was a kid I actually sang along when I strummed. I memorized tons of songs (now I can't remember dog poop, but I play fingerstyle too, ) . Ok, most of that is a function of being young, but if you practice the songs everyday, things will stick to you.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion