The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-12-2019, 10:04 AM

Default iPad Pro Cradle for Stage

Just picked up the new iPad Pro (12.9) to use with forScore. Was wondering is anyone has tried and approved a cradle/mounting device which can be attached to a stand for stage work with this particular iPad (which is huge).
Old 06-12-2019, 10:18 AM

My neighbor got something for his from Sweetwater.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 06-12-2019, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Thats a real problem -

I've been using the 12" iPad pro for a couple years now, and there are a number of mounts that will work with it, as long as you don't use a case. If you use a case, as I must, then the options are far fewer -

If you can pop the case on/off really easily, and don't mind doing that, then you can choose the one that looks good to you. I have a case that holds and charges my pencil, and it is really hard to get it on/off. And if I do take it off, then its one more thing to keep track of -

I am currently using a music stand most of the time - it lets me just fold the cover back, and the ledge gives me a place to keep my tuner, capo, and a couple extra picks. It also give me room to put my phone, so I can keep an eye on time, and if the host needs to tell me anything, they can text and I get it. I am more interested right now in finding a good mic mount for my music stand -
The Airturn Manos has worked pretty well, and the clamps can hold the iPad with a simple, non-fold back case. There is another one by Gimars which they sell as a tripod mount, so it has a ¼-20 thread on it, which means you have to add an adapter to clamp it to your mic stand - but thats not hard to figure out, and you can even just get a clamp assembly and add a bolt to it. You may want to add a simple ball head assy to it so you can adjust it easily - those are on eBay or Amazon pretty cheap, or if you decide to go that route, I can help you get some really nice ones cheap -

Once you go too far, though, the weight of the iPad and mount, plus the mic and anything else, can make many lightweight mic stands kinda top heavy and tipsy, so be careful about that -

I still think a customized music stand is my best choice - plus, if they bring you a plate of food and a drink, you can tilt it back and with your ipad off it, and you have your own little table - :-)
Old 06-12-2019, 12:38 PM

I was searching for a solution to this and bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My 12.9 iPad Pro stands on it in it's case and fits perfectly! Mounted on my mic stand. Stable and easy.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

I use a Hercules Tablet Holder. It’s on Amazon for about $37, and it is adjustable and works flawlessly. Robust too.

IMG_2191.jpg
Old 06-12-2019, 03:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
I use a Hercules Tablet Holder. It’s on Amazon for about $37, and it is adjustable and works flawlessly. Robust too.

Attachment 23678
This! Just bought one and it - like all Hercules products - is great.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

I use a K&M for my iPad Pro 12.9 (3rd gen) in an UAG case. Also works with my Surface Pro 4 and previously used with various 9 and 10 inch iPads. Highly adjustable. The only problem is that the assembly instructions were written by German engineers for German engineers.

https://www.k-m.de/en/products/multi...c-holder-black
2018 Guild M-20
2015 Martin CEO-7
2012 Martin OM-21
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-04
2011 Taylor GA8
1930's Supertone Parlor
Old 06-13-2019, 06:05 AM

I’ve been using AirTurn Manos Universal Tablet/iPad Mount since the 12.9” iPad Pro was released. It is a secure and very adjustable tablet holder and never feels unstable or insecure.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBMojo View Post
Just picked up the new iPad Pro (12.9) to use with forScore. Was wondering is anyone has tried and approved a cradle/mounting device which can be attached to a stand for stage work with this particular iPad (which is huge).
Hi SBM

First off, hello and welcome to the forum!! Glad you joined and jumped in with a question.

Here's the one I use for my iPad Pro 2018 12.9"

It was only $25 and works really well. It is plastic, but not flimsy. Surprised me how good it is. I'm kind of coasting to see if some of the companies who build industrial stands will develop a 12.9" model. But in the meantime this is a great holder.

Everything locks down except for the directional swivel, and it's held in place with friction and hasn't loosened in regular use over 6 months.

iPad Pro holder - CliCk

Here's one I use sidewise on top of Tripods. It has the Arca Swiss tripod fitting already molded into it.

All Aluminum, and sturdy - CliCk

Hope this helps…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 06-13-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:12 AM

I bought an iKlip Xpand from Walmart. They've gone up in price, but I like mine.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I bought an iKlip Xpand from Walmart. They've gone up in price, but I like mine.
Hi PPG

I only found the iKlip holders going up to 12.1" not the 12.9" needed for my new iPad Pro.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic