The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-06-2019, 09:27 PM

CFox guitars have a mortised and bolted neck heel. (Photo by Frank Ford).

1999 CFox 'Frisco' concert w/ Trance Amulet MV
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e RW
2020 Goodall KCJ
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Last edited by GGinMP; 06-07-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodriguez View Post
Seagull. I’m pretty sure the other Godin acoustics have bolt-on necks as well.
Not after 2005 - they went to an epoxied-in vertical mortise/tenon after that. Yes, the bolts are still there, but their purpose is to hold the neck on while epoxy cures.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:07 AM

The older Normans had bolt-on neck IIRC.

2009 Martin OM-28 Marquis
2016 Gibson J45 Standard
Old 06-07-2019, 10:43 AM

You forgot Kay guitars.

Ed
Old 06-07-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleGorch View Post
Not to be a smarty, but alphabetical order would be nice.
It's just cut and paste from a Word document, which I don't think has sort. Excel would have be better.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Nads View Post
The older Normans had bolt-on neck IIRC.
I suspect that all the LaSiDo nsteel string brands did at some stage, but it's hard to keep track of their changing specs.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Not after 2005 - they went to an epoxied-in vertical mortise/tenon after that. Yes, the bolts are still there, but their purpose is to hold the neck on while epoxy cures.
Didn't know they'd changed the design. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
Mossman. Bolt and glue. May have been the first to do it.

Jack
Nope, The Levin company in Sweden was doing this with Levin and Goya guitars in the fifties and early sixties (and maybe earlier). The necks were bolted and the fingerboard extension was glued. These were professional quality guitars.
The Martin Goyas were entry level, good quality, but not up to the Swedish Levin made guitars.
The guitar Julie Andrews played in The Sound Of Music had a bolt on neck.
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .
Old 06-09-2019, 12:29 AM

Simon&Patrick Pro till 1997?? Seagull S6. Does it have any disadvantages? I have no idea.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleGorch View Post
Not to be a smarty, but alphabetical order would be nice.
To sort a list in Word, each entry in the list needs to have its own line. The list from the post can't be sorted alphabetically, because each entry isn't followed by a carriage return. If you reformat the list, with each item on it's own line, then it's easy to do.

Once the list has each entry followed by a carriage return, then each line will be a separate paragraph. From the home menu in Word, in the paragraph section, on the bottom right, there's an icon with a red A above a black Z, and a down arrow. Select the list text, click the icon, and in the pop up menu choose sort by paragraph, then text in the type, and ascending. Click OK, and the list will be sorted.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 06-09-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
To sort a list in Word, each entry in the list needs to have its own line. The list from the post can't be sorted alphabetically, because each entry isn't followed by a carriage return. If you reformat the list, with each item on it's own line, then it's easy to do.

Once the list has each entry followed by a carriage return, then each line will be a separate paragraph. From the home menu in Word, in the paragraph section, on the bottom right, there's an icon with a red A above a black Z, and a down arrow. Select the list text, click the icon, and in the pop up menu choose sort by paragraph, then text in the type, and ascending. Click OK, and the list will be sorted.
Thanks, I'll try that. The original list would have been better in Excel, but I can't remember how well copy and paste would work with that.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
Thanks, I'll try that. The original list would have been better in Excel, but I can't remember how well copy and paste would work with that.
I think it will be easier in Word. If you wanted a table, with columns for more information, like the type of glue (if any), typical cost of a neck reset, etc., then you could create one in word, using the table menu. On the left is a new table icon with a + sign. Select that, choose insert table, and specify the number of columns and rows. Each entry would be copied and pasted in it's own cell within a column. You select a row by clicking above it (a down arrow will appear.) Then select the table drop down menu from the top menu bar (in between tools and windows), go down to sort, and choose text for the type.
Eastman T185MX
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Old 06-09-2019, 11:27 PM

I have a 1998 Seagull SM6, the company informed me it has a bolt on neck. As did an old 70's Japanese made Epiphone I once had (the neck join was very unstable).

1966 Epiphone FT79N Texan
1970 Yamaha FG-180
1976 Guild D55
1986 Martin D16m
1996 Guild JF30-12
2009 Guild D40 Bluegrass Jubilee
2020 Epiphone FT79 Texan
and a couple others...
Old 06-10-2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
Quote:
I think it will be easier in Word. If you wanted a table, with columns for more information, like the type of glue (if any), typical cost of a neck reset, etc., then you could create one in word, using the table menu. On the left is a new table icon with a + sign. Select that, choose insert table, and specify the number of columns and rows. Each entry would be copied and pasted in it's own cell within a column. You select a row by clicking above it (a down arrow will appear.) Then select the table drop down menu from the top menu bar (in between tools and windows), go down to sort, and choose text for the type.
Suggestion, here.

Sean, why don't you just run with the ball and create the list in your preferred platform much easier that all this stuff going on, above.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Suggestion, here.

Sean, why don't you just run with the ball and create the list in your preferred platform much easier that all this stuff going on, above.
One response to the OP's post was that alphabetical order would be nice. I was letting Tony know how it could be done in Word or Excel, because he brought those programs up. Personally, I'm fine with the list as is, but this way he knows how to do an alphabetical sort, if he wants to take the time.
Eastman T185MX
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion