The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-14-2010, 05:15 PM

Default B-Band Rave

Hey guys,

I don't usually do this, but I've been thrilled with the results of my new B-Band pick up and I wanted to share my experience. I installed a B-Band 1.2 UST in my Breedlove and I am really enjoying the results. This is easily the best pick up I've owned and I've owned many (K&K PWM, LR Baggs M1A, Baggs Active Element, Fishman Natural 1, D-Tar Wavelength, etc.). I bought the B-Band because my friend has one in his Larrivee and I was fairly impressed with it. Installation was simple and the sound has been fantastic- natural, woody, clear, and not quaky at all. I've tried this pick up through and Avalon U5 and Baggs PADI and had really good results.

Anyways, I did a fair amount of research on this forum about these pick ups before ordering one from Bob Colossi and I just wanted to write a quick post that both Bob and these pick ups have been a great find for me.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:01 PM

I've been fairly impressed with the B-Band A2.2 which adds the AST (SBT) to the UST. I got my pickups from Bob as well (A2.2s). I was also able to find a couple used A1.2 systems on Ebay for very reasonable prices. Glad you're happy with yours.....
Old 01-14-2010, 08:25 PM

I use a B-Band bridgeplate transducer (AST only configuration) in a Taylor GA-8 and I agree, the sound is quite good for a minimally invasive installation.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endpin View Post
I use a B-Band bridgeplate transducer (AST only configuration) in a Taylor GA-8 and I agree, the sound is quite good for a minimally invasive installation.

Yours is the one system I've not had good luck with (A1.2N), probably because the bass in dreads causes this system to resonate way too much on the E and A strings at least in my case. Other wise I liked how it sounded. Just too feedback prone.......
Old 01-14-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66strummer View Post
Yours is the one system I've not had good luck with (A1.2N), probably because the bass in dreads causes this system to resonate way too much on the E and A strings at least in my case. Other wise I liked how it sounded. Just too feedback prone.......
Yes, when playing through a full spectrum speaker system, I used a 90Hz notch filter in addition to a custom filter profile within Apple Logic to address that problem, however I am having good luck going directly into a SoloAmp with some bass cut and the natural bass rolloff of the SA speakers.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endpin View Post
Yes, when playing through a full spectrum speaker system, I used a 90Hz notch filter in addition to a custom filter profile within Apple Logic to address that problem, however I am having good luck going directly into a SoloAmp with some bass cut and the natural bass rolloff of the SA speakers.

Interesting...... I had thought of trying to isolate the bad frequencies by using a graphic EQ with several bands in the signal chain but ended up swapping the A1.2Ns for A2.2s, which don't have the low end problems. In he A2.2 preamp the lower frequencies are somehow routed to the less feedback prone UST, while the AST handles more mids and treble. My only gripe with B-Band is that the pickups seem to sound a little "crispy" sometimes. However with the right preamplification and EQ'ing this can be minimized and the pickups can sound pretty decent IMO, especially ones using the AST.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:04 AM

Phoenix Guitar Co is in the process of trying to figure out which compay they want to deal with as far as pick ups. They LOVE B Band, as it is a great system, and they won't make them buy X number every quarter. This is the one they have been using for quite a while and are leaning towards doing business with.

It just seems that B Band is not as well known as Fishman, K&K, and LR Baggs. Does this make a big difference when purchasing a guitar with a pick up that is now as well known?

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 01-15-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
Phoenix Guitar Co is in the process of trying to figure out which compay they want to deal with as far as pick ups. They LOVE B Band, as it is a great system, and they won't make them buy X number every quarter. This is the one they have been using for quite a while and are leaning towards doing business with.

It just seems that B Band is not as well known as Fishman, K&K, and LR Baggs. Does this make a big difference when purchasing a guitar with a pick up that is now as well known?

I think it makes a huge difference unfortunately. To the general public the top brands to own are the ones they have heard of, such as Fishman. The only reason I became familiar with B-Band initially is because I bought an Ibanez cutaway acoustic that happened to have a B-Band system in it. When I used it at open mics everyone was very impressed with how it sounded plugged in but I still wasn't aware of what type of pickup it was. I had assumed it was a Fishman or something. Later when I found out it was a B-Band and wanted to put aftermarket pickups in other guitars, my interest leaned toward B-Band stuff, knowing how impressive the Ibanez had sounded plugged in. One of the highly impressed open mic musicians wanted that Ibanez guitar, so I sold it to him awhile back.

Last edited by 66strummer; 01-15-2010 at 09:46 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification