The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-03-2009, 09:18 AM

Default K&K and LR Baggs M1 passive dual source Ultrasound DI Max

I added my LR Baggs M1 passive I had laying around to my K&K pwm yesterday.

Finally placed a call to K&K to determine what tabs to solder to. There are 2 tab options on a K&K pwm jack that are not used when you open it up to look at it, the longest one is a battery disconnect per K&K. The middle length tab is the ring. THat is where you solder the non ground wire. You solder the ground on the main base part. (I said this simply for guys like me)The default K&K factory is wired on the tip with a mono standard 1/4 inch cable. No amount of web searching(when I needed it) could produce a picture, a step by step soldering or jack/tab picture (when I needed it)or what they are so I just called K&K. As much discussion about this sort of thing and no info at the time-arg! Of course my wife had the digital camera otherwise I would have posted step by steps. Maybe I should make a line drawing and post it for visual learners like me. Yeah, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.

I am picking up an Ultrasound DI Max at my local dealer and a TRS cable later today. Ultrasounds are made in Des Moines where I live and the dealer will drive over and get one after he does his laundry (I got a kick out of that -cracked me up.. where are we... Mayberry? Jaskofall here on the forum, suggested this preamp and it was what I could afford. With a trs I can plug into channel 1 and blend the 2 sources.

Will report back on its success or failure in sound and execution tonight. The mono cable still worked in testing last night.

Okay gotta work. Stay tuned If you are interested in this sort of thing.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

I've been contemplating this pickup combination so I'd love to hear some of your thoughts after trying it out with the TRS cable. Thanks for keeping us in the loop!
Old 11-03-2009, 06:28 PM

Default Update

Picked it up. Got a stereo cable. Worked exactly as it was supposed to and I have found a very likable balance going into my Ultrasound AG-30. The preamp fits in the center compartment of my Taylor case but it's edge to edge close. Anxious to try playing through a PA. Put me in the dual-source fan club. We have a winner. Much thanks to Jaskofall for suggesting the DI Max and encouragement to try it.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:06 PM

let us know more about the di max!! it was tempting to me too!
Old 11-03-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hann View Post
let us know more about the di max!! it was tempting to me too!
Hmm... more in what way?

I will say it seems everything sounds more defined now, kind of opened up and clearer but strong and balanced in comparison to the Fishman Plat pro I have used. Less muddy. I believe cut through in the full band will be just right. I did also install new Lt-med Elixers and like it when they mellow some.

Am still not a fan of hitting the M1 and hearing a clik sound. I have placed a velcro fuzzy dot on the lower part of the pickup to dampen hitting the pickup on the strum downstroke. It is a nice pickup and notes are distinct.

The 2 pickups seem to compliment each other well.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:36 PM

Hey DMZ,
I'm glad everything is working out for you.

With regards to the M1, you could try swapping the high e & b pole pieces with the low E & A pole pieces and then turning the M1 around the other way in the soundhole. Maybe this will move the M1 out of the firing line of the pick.
Then the only thing you might have to do is raise the pole pieces closer to the strings so they pick up more of the string sound, because as you locate the M1 closer to the bridge of the guitar, the strings will inevitably be further away from the M1.

Jasko
Taylor 110 w/ Dtar Wavelength & JJB 330
Blueridge BR-361
S.Yairi 1978 Rosewood/ Spruce Classical

1 Tiny Baby All Solid KOA Tennor UKE w/ Shadow UST
Old 11-06-2009, 05:37 AM

This guy uses a K&K PWM, Baggs M1A, into a Solstice and into his Aer amp. I think his sound is fantastic. Great tune and player as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D8Is...FC3A0B&index=0

JP
Old 11-06-2009, 09:59 AM

nice!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2009, 08:54 AM

Here's a sound sample http://www.box.net/shared/cpe7qarr2v

This is direct-in to a Zoom H2. I added a little reverb and delay to it in garageband on my iMac. You will hear clicks on the M1 of me hitting it with a pick. Kind of a lazy, friday, late-night recording effort. Still plenty of pickup sound, but better than just my K&K pwm and plat pro. -Doug
Old 11-07-2009, 09:24 AM

woah that's nice....
Old 11-07-2009, 11:42 PM

Doug, I am super-impressed. I'm going to put this setup in my Recording King ROS-06 when it shows up.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:28 AM

I'm SUPER tempted to do the same!
Old 11-08-2009, 07:00 AM

Hi DMZ,

Looking at the DI Max's specs, it almost seems like the thing was built with the passive K&K SBTs in mind. The input impedance is 1Mohm and the mid cut/"dip" feature has the mid cut centered right at 1500Hz (the most commonly reported mid cut frequency preference among K&K users).

I have two questions: 1) How are you EQing the individual signals? 2) Have you found it necessary to invert the polarity of one of the signals in order to get the best blend?

FWIW, the M1's "talk back" factor wasn't obvious to me in your sound sample. Perhaps that's because you're rolling the treble off with the M1.

Thanks for the enjoyable sound sample and for bringing the DI Max's potential to our attention.

Gary
Old 11-08-2009, 04:02 PM

Hi Gary. I thought that too about the K&K friendly aspect based on what you and others talk about. Here are my current settings and yes, they are out of phase.

Here's a surprise. My PUTW #27 in my other guitar (with the 20 ft stereo HOSA cable no less) sounded pretty darn good with no honk. I had to crank up the gain and line level, but useable sound.

I do plan to get a shorter stereo cable.

So my total investment thus far:
$13 20' Hosa stereo cable
$89 K&K
$139 Lr Baggs M-1 passive
$160 Ultrasound DI Max
$401 total, plus an occasional sales tax.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:37 PM

Hi DMZ,

Thanks for answering my questions. One picture is indeed worth a thousand words.

Regarding using the PUTW #27 with the DI Max, I recall David Enke telling me that the newer film piezo material doesn't require as much input impedance (for optimum performance) as the older stuff did. (They switched to a different piezo material a few years back.) There are still plenty of passive piezo pickups around, however, that wouldn't do terribly well with a 1Mohm input impedance. If one were dealing with a variety of passive pickups, it would be best to have a preamp (like the Headway preamp) with multiple input impedance options.

Gary

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification