The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-06-2019, 12:08 PM

My most recent player is a Baranik SJ with cedar top and rosewood back and sides. I could never afford a guitar like this if it weren't significantly damaged. In my email exchange with Mr. Baranik, he said it was his understanding that someone stepped on the top. He had recommended replacing the top. He was, of course, right, but I decided to see if I could salvage the guitar as-is. I removed the bridge and installed a new larger bridge plate and laminated new cedar in the broken areas. Since the break was across the grain directly behind the bridge, in the most stressed area of the top, I decided to install a Bridge Doctor (gasp!) to reduce the rotation force directly on the repair area. It worked. The repair is stable, and it's just a killer playing and sounding fingerpicking guitar. I usually sell my finished repairs to fund the next one, but I haven't been able to bring myself to sell this one yet! By the way, Mr. Baranik is a super nice guy, as well as a gifted luthier!
Old 07-06-2019, 02:04 PM

I've been playing musical instruments for over 45 years. Some of my instruments are over 50, 60, 80 and 130 years old. They all get played at home and out at gigs, festivals, camping trips, etc. I've also owned some cars, motorcycles, boats and campers for over 30 years. My current home is the newest one I've had at 60 years old. I have a different touch and attitude when it comes to caring for instruments, tools, vehicles, homes - they all show wear and use but are never worn out or abused.

My older brother is the definition of being "hard on things". He isn't angry or abusive, he just breaks things in a spectacular fashion. He's abrupt and ham fisted with inanimate objects, gentle with his kids and pets. I used to gig with a guy who routinely damaged his cords, mics, guitar, PA, etc. by rough handling. I'm a fix-it guy and kept his stuff repaired. He had substance abuse issues that eventually cost his life. Aside from that, I think it's a combination of personal outlook, attitude and experience.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asilker View Post
I've got a recent J45 in the shop that has a lot of damage being repaired. Two long side splits, lifted pickguard, small top crack in the top bout, a hole drilled in the shoulder. Weird stuff, but the seller covered cost of repair... ANYWAY

I have a few guitars right now but in the next few months I will be contracting back to just two. I play out with some regularity. I'm thinking if this instrument sounds good it'll be my out of the house guitar - hallmark model, good sound, not worried about more damage.

Is anyone else rocking a smashed up, rebuilt workhorse of a guitar? Or are you folks all about "clean"?
Larson Bros. Stahl Style 6. I saw it in pieces at my repairman's shop in 1967, bought it from him on the spot, then left it with him to fix it up. Lots of repaired top and back cracks but outrageously wonderful tone.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:35 AM

Mine have the usual dings and scratches from normal use.

When I say normal I mean being used to perform in many places under many weather conditions, even back when people smoked EVERYWHERE, (even myself for many decades) and the beer flowed and splashed freely. They've been bumped, banged, leaned on, brushed up against, seen sun, rain and dew.

I don't abuse them, but they are used.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 07-07-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Interesting. Willie bought his 1969 N20 in 1969 - who do you think did that to the guitar? Curious mind(s) want to know.
His kids of course [emoji1787]

1966 Epiphone FT79N Texan
1970 Yamaha FG-180
1976 Guild D55
1986 Martin D16m
1996 Guild JF30-12
2009 Guild D40 Bluegrass Jubilee
2020 Epiphone FT79 Texan
and a couple others...
Old 07-07-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I've been playing musical instruments for over 45 years. Some of my instruments are over 50, 60, 80 and 130 years old. They all get played at home and out at gigs, festivals, camping trips, etc. I've also owned some cars, motorcycles, boats and campers for over 30 years. My current home is the newest one I've had at 60 years old. I have a different touch and attitude when it comes to caring for instruments, tools, vehicles, homes - they all show wear and use but are never worn out or abused.

My older brother is the definition of being "hard on things". He isn't angry or abusive, he just breaks things in a spectacular fashion. He's abrupt and ham fisted with inanimate objects, gentle with his kids and pets. I used to gig with a guy who routinely damaged his cords, mics, guitar, PA, etc. by rough handling. I'm a fix-it guy and kept his stuff repaired. He had substance abuse issues that eventually cost his life. Aside from that, I think it's a combination of personal outlook, attitude and experience.
This tends to be how I lean as well. Most of my musical items have been painstakingly cared for, including my 1957 Thorens TD 124 mki which I took great pleasure in rebuilding My home too is nearing a century and filled with many old items. There is something satisfying and affirming about making something clean and well cared for.

I also have a soft spot for taking in items that other people have abused and giving them a "second lease".

Interesting to hear about your brother. Very sorry to hear about his passing. Are you inferring that in his lifestyle there was a link between following the impulse to self-gratify and being firm with his things?
Old 07-07-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
I have owned more than my fair share of abused orphans. My 1942 J50 was close to a basket case when I ran across it. Removing it from its case brought with it the danger the thing would literally fall apart. But even strumming it in the case this guitar had a low end like I had never heard on any Gibson. Spent a full year in the shop. It remains the best sounding guitar I have ever held in my hands.
Interesting post.

I had my hands on an early ‘40’s J-50 that had a low end to rival any Martin, and was louder than almost any guitar I’ve ever played. It almost sounded amplified.

I still regret not buying it at $4500. Yours sounds like that one! Very cool!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 07-07-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
all of my guitars are anything but pristine,they are tools. I have no closet queens.But they are not beat to heck either. just normal usage nicks and scratches. guitars like trigger show years of bad playing style. Not saying willie
plays badly, i dont think he did that to the guitar anyway. like ed sheran playing
a cheap guitar its more gimick than years of abuse. ive seen guitars that look like they were left outside. .. whatever floats yur boat i guess.
Willie did ALL of that himself...with a little help from his friends along the way. Trigger was very very clean when he first got it.

Willie bought Trigger over the phone, sight unseen, from a guitar tech in Nashville, I think. The guitar Willie was using at the time was damaged at a concert. The repairman told Willie the guitar was beyond repair. Willie asked him if he had anything similar to it, and the tech said he had a Martin N20 Classical, and Willie decided to try it.

The rest is history...

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 07-07-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budglo View Post
https://imgur.com/gallery/PvVkadJ

Slightly used, but it plays good.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 07-07-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asilker View Post
Interesting to hear about your brother. Very sorry to hear about his passing. Are you inferring that in his lifestyle there was a link between following the impulse to self-gratify and being firm with his things?
Sorry I was unclear - my brother is very much alive. I used his example to show how two people with the same background, raising, etc. ended up very different regarding this subject.

My former playing partner (not my brother) passed away 4 years ago. He chose a hard life, and he also was very hard on everything he touched. Whether that was caused by his substance abuse or if both were the result of something else? I don't think I'll ever know.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:42 PM

Willie could have put a pick guard on Trigger...
Old 07-07-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
Nothing that can't be buffed out

Old 07-08-2019, 07:55 PM

I am lucky enough to own the greatest sounding guitar I have ever played. A 30s L-00 that looks like it was drug behind a truck for a week. Major repaired crack on the side and across the heel, sunken top with the belly raised just to name a few "issues". Hands down the best tone I have strummed. Taking this one to the grave.

Last edited by KalamazooGuy; 07-08-2019 at 08:05 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion