The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-08-2019, 10:40 AM

Default S.Yairi 730 (1974)

I just bought this 1974 730 S.Yairi in amazing shape. Inside on the neck block it says 4810? Idk what that is... 730 is the model number and under serial number on the label it's blank.. These guitars around 73 74 75 are all so different with different label designs.. I cant find a 74 catalog either.. I also cant find another 74 730... Anyone know much about this run or series??
Old 07-08-2019, 02:45 PM

I have a 75 720. There's not much info on him. I know the life story but not much about the guitars. All of them are solid and handmade though, before he died. The current ones are supposedly junk.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:48 AM

Default Yairi Martin comparison

So you have a 44 year old yairi and a d35, can you tell me your thoughts on the difference between the projection, the volume? The playability, the craftsmanship...

Thanks mate,

so many Martin guys trash Japanese yairi’s I’d love to hear your opinion? And are you on the yairi fan page on Facebook.. some good info on that page ...

Jamie
Old 10-12-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atiredblue View Post
I just bought this 1974 730 S.Yairi in amazing shape. Inside on the neck block it says 4810? Idk what that is... 730 is the model number and under serial number on the label it's blank.. These guitars around 73 74 75 are all so different with different label designs.. I cant find a 74 catalog either.. I also cant find another 74 730... Anyone know much about this run or series??
What I have read about Sadao Yairi guitars is that they were masterfully built and sound fantastic with lots of volume, and the early one's are a great value . Congrats on a great guitar.

Please post some pictures, what bracing patterns did he use?
Old 10-12-2019, 01:51 PM

Default Date of manufacture

The 4810 stamped on the neck block dates your S.Yairi to October 1973. The first two digits are the year and the latter two the month.

Commonly on Japanese instruments of this era the ‘year’ date is referenced to the reign of the Emperor at that time. So, 1970 was the 45th year of the reign of Emperor Showa, so would be numbered 45xx depending on month of manufacture, and by deduction 48 = 1973. When Emperor Heisa succeeded him in 1989 the year date reverted to 1. Few manufacturers, if any, continue this practise today, but when they changed to the western “international” year format can vary.

That’s my understanding anyway.

Like you I’ve had difficulty finding catalogs from this era - except for a few Japanese language one’s. Local model numbers appear to be different from those used on export instruments (this also appears to be common in this era).

Regards,
Clive
Old 10-12-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atiredblue View Post
So you have a 44 year old yairi and a d35, can you tell me your thoughts on the difference between the projection, the volume? The playability, the craftsmanship...

Thanks mate,

so many Martin guys trash Japanese yairi’s I’d love to hear your opinion? And are you on the yairi fan page on Facebook.. some good info on that page ...

Jamie
I am not sure why, both are great guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion